1973 115 Evinrude sneezing

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1973 115 Evinrude sneezing

BASSCAT 1,<br />I really appreciate all your help, as soon as I get a chance I will pull the reeds out again and do what you told me to. If that doesn't work I may go ahead and order another carb kit and rebuild them myself that way I know that it was done properly. I'll get back in touch and let you know how everything goes.<br />Thanks Again,<br />hoss123

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Hoss, if your going to go through the trouble of pulling the reeds, may I make a sugestion?<br />Go ahead and buy the Boyesen reeds. They are the best investment you can install on any outboard engine for performance.<br />I put some in my engine, and runs like a top now.<br />Be sure and follow the instructions provided with the reeds, and re-jet the carb.<br />Here is web page that may help. web page <br />The smoother idle sold me on these things.

fishcakes

Cadet

Hoss, I am having exactly the same issue with my '85 140. I would appreciate it if you would mind posting how you are doing on resolving the problem. I have also done all of the things you have trying to resolve the issue with no luck. I am also considering installing the Boyesen reeds. If you do could you give me your opnion of their effectiveness. Thanks and good luck.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Basscat 1, <br />I got a chance today to pull the reeds and there are about six of them I can see light through. I'm going to go ahead and order the reeds and a carb kit as far as re-jetting, do I need to get bigger jets or the same size I have.<br />Thanks<br /><br />fishcakes,<br />As soon as I get the parts in and put them on the boat I will let ya know how everything went.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hoss,<br />Boyesen's directions says to increase your idle fuel jets by two sizes. You will have to pull the old ones to get the size off of them.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Indymike,<br />I didn't realize reeds were as high as they are, I'm a student in college, so it may take me a while to get that kind of money together.But when I do I will get back in touch with everyone and let ya'll know how it goes. My girl friends step dad is a outboard parts dealer so he can get them at cost. <br />Thanks for the info.<br /><br />fishcakes you may want to let me know how the Boyesen reeds work.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would stainless reeds be any cheaper than Boyesen's. Does any company still offer stainless reeds.

Walker

Captain

OMC stock reeds. If you go with Boysen and your motor still sneezes you run a big risk of breaking the composite reeds.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

I think you have a linkage sync problem...cables stretch over time and I believe you may have a slight Idle timing issue being out of sync with the throttle cam....very VERY important to have this correct as it will cause the condition you are explaining if incorrect.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Hoss, in the beginning you said its "sneezing" thru the exhaust. A sneezing or popping out the exhaust indicates a different problem. If theres a lean condition it will sneeze or pop back thru the carbs.<br /><br />Is it sneezing out the exhaust or back thru the carbs?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

You can sometimes find the Boyesen Reeds on ebay. Thats where I bought mine.<br />Irregardless, if you can see light around the edges its time to replace them.<br />Another thing you will probably need to do is resurface the reed blocks. You can do this with a piece of glass and some fine sandpaper. You want it to be as flat as possible.<br />I rejetted my carb jets myself. I couldnt find the specific size needed that was recommended.<br />When you get to that point, I can explain a little more.

fishcakes

Cadet

Hoss, Will do if I decide to go down that road on the Boyesen reeds. Like you, I dont have the money or time right now to install $100+ reeds. Ishopmarine.com has OMC reeds listed for $15.<br /><br />Dhadley, what condition does sneezing thru the carbs indicate? What condition does sneezing thru the exhust indicate.? Seems like this would be basic to beginning to isolate this issue.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

moderator 1, <br />I looked in the manual about link and sync and it says to run at idle until motor warms up. This motor will not even try to idle, if I try to idle it sneezes through the exhaust and dies.<br /><br />Dhadley,<br />It sneezes out the exhaust and dies as soon as it sneezes.<br /><br />Basscat 1,<br />I will take a look at ebay and see what I can't find.<br /><br />fishcakes,<br />Thanks for the web site I will also check this out.<br /><br />Thank you all for your info,<br />hoss123

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Generally when it sneezes out the exhaust, it indicates a lean conditon.<br />Just to recap. You did remove the low idle fuel jets and make sure they were clear?<br />Did you ever look real close inside the carbs while the engine was running? Just as it dies, you may see a burst of fuel or it may look like a sudden vapor spray. You have to look close to see it, as sneezing out the carbs may be harder to notice as compared to the exhaust sneezing.<br />Mine appeared to be sneezing out the exhaust too, but upon a closer look I could actually see it pop back in the carbs.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it sneezes or pops out the exhaust without spitting back out the carbs it may be an ignition problem. Start the motor and carefully, with plastic pliers, remove one plug wire at a time. If when you remove a certian wire and it makes no change that cylinder is not firing. However if you can see or hear arching it may not be firing at the right time.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I have the reeds out right now, I'm trying to find stainless reeds. I would hate to buy the boysen reeds and break them due to my motor still sneezing. But when it was sneezing I didn't notice any pop in the carb, I wasn't looking for it so it could have been. But I do know that it does sneeze out the exhaust because it sneezes out a puff of smoke and as soon as this happens it dies.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fishcakes,<br /> went to the web site and couldn't find any reeds for a 1973 Evinrude 115.

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While looking at pictures of carb covers on ebay and the web site that fishcakes gave me i noticed that my carb cover doesn't have the air silencer plugs, are they important enough to cause my problem.<br />Thanks,<br />hoss

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by hoss123:<br /> But I do know that it does sneeze out the exhaust because it sneezes out a puff of smoke and as soon as this happens it dies.
Same exact thing mine was doing. Again, if you see light around the reeds, its time to change.<br />By the way, here is the store I bought my reeds from. web page

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Basscat 1,<br />Found some used reeds on ebay for pretty good price. I will get more info on them after I talk to my old man and see if he will go head and order them. I'm using his computer as well as living in his house, but I do work for him so I'll see how everything goes.