1972 Ouachita rebuild

cretus

Seaman
All right I've gotten into way more than I ever wanted to, but here it is. The boat sank at a friend of the families dock. The motor was locked up from the water and he thought it was ruined and sold it to me for $150.00 with the trailer. Cant beat that. I fixed the motor (Johnson 50) and ran it on the lake ran great. Floor was a little soft and the motor had just a little play so I figured I'd better have a look. Pulled the motor to find a rotten transom. I cut just the top out and dug all the rotten plywood out. I?ve been on the phone with Seacast all afternoon. Seems that?ll be the route I?ll go on the transom. The stringers are black, but I pealed the fiberglass off in a few spots and scraped the wood and they are not rotten. I even hit them with a hammer and they are solid. I?m wondering if I just recoat them in glass if all will be well for a few years. My biggest question is what size mat should be used on the floor. The glass that was on the original floor was no thicker than paper. I?d like to go a little thicker, but don?t know all the fiber jargon. It only had ? plywood to begin with so I?m upgrading to ? inch. My next question is; Is the foam in the hull really that important? I must have pulled 400lbs of saturated foam out of it.

Attachments

• DSC01943.jpg
    DSC01943.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01932.jpg
    DSC01932.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC01941.jpg
    DSC01941.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01930.jpg
    DSC01930.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 3

cretus

Seaman
Re: 1972 Ouachita rebuild

Yeah I've sent emails and called nitabond on the phone and their customer support is at best lacking.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pounding to test stingers is NOT a 100% reliable method of testing for rot. Drill into them down low and see what kind of shavings you get. If the foam was as wet as you say, then I would suspect the stringers are shot and need to be replaced. As far as mat goes for your deck all that is needed on the bottome is 1.5 oz mat. For the top, 1.5 oz followed with a finish layer of 1708 biaxial cloth. You'll need about 8-10 yards of mat and 3-5 yards of 1708. www.uscomposites.com is a good source for material. I hope you're using a respirator and goggles and gloves. SAFETY First!!!!!

cretus

Seaman

Hey thanks. How much epoxy do you think it'll take? I'll leave the stringers. All I want is a few more years out of it then I'll get a new boat. Then again it wont cost that much more to replace them.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks. How much epoxy do you think it'll take? I'll leave the stringers. All I want is a few more years out of it then I'll get a new boat. Then again it wont cost that much more to replace them.

hey some one remind me whose signature says "why is there never enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to do it again".. Look up friscoboaters thread on his here i go again searay. Read through it and it will give you a good example of what a new floor over bad stinger turns into. might as well do it all while you are in there. Plus when you get ready to sell it you can sell it with confidence.

jonesg

Admiral

Seacast is suited for boats that are in good condition, not sunk boats.
The stringers are shot, if you can get them dry they will dry rot anyway.
You will save yourself a ton of money by popping the cap off and going with PT ply for the transom with polyester not epoxy.
Seacast also makes more sense for a boat you intend to keep a long time, its good stuff, I used it.
Lifting the cap on a smaller boat is simple enough, once you're in there everything will be a lot easier.

Epoxy is for guys who have more money than confidence.
Polyester is for guys with more confidence than brains.
We can always make more money, we can always build confidence and save money too.
Choose your poison. ;)

cretus

Seaman

Seacast is suited for boats that are in good condition, not sunk boats.
The stringers are shot, if you can get them dry they will dry rot anyway.
You will save yourself a ton of money by popping the cap off and going with PT ply for the transom with polyester not epoxy.
Seacast also makes more sense for a boat you intend to keep a long time, its good stuff, I used it.
Lifting the cap on a smaller boat is simple enough, once you're in there everything will be a lot easier.

Epoxy is for guys who have more money than confidence.
Polyester is for guys with more confidence than brains.
We can always make more money, we can always build confidence and save money too.
Choose your poison. ;)

Well put. I just may pull the stringers. I've already cut the cap so I could pour in the transom. I got pissed today and ripped out the inner skin, So I think I'll be able to get a plywood transom back in. I never wanted to buy epoxy. I think its two exspensive. I really have serious doubts that its an epoxy hull anyways. Now that Seacast is out I'll have more funds to do more with. Its going to be hard getting those stringers out though. What do you repace them with? Just regular untreated wood?

Attachments

• DSC01944.jpg
    DSC01944.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01945.jpg
    DSC01945.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 2

jonesg

Admiral

Smart move on the seacast, I had the same situation but had already bought the seacast so I was stuck using it.
Your boat is polyester, its practical to stay with it, if you want to go one better then you could use vinylester.
A cheap angle grinder (Ryobi) from home depot with a $15 4" diamond steel blade will cut the stringers out like butter.
Or if you have a skillsaw, that works, but you'll be needing the grinder at some point.
Replace stringers with the same stuff that you remove. Its probably PT ply or PT 2x4.
When you find out buy the wood and let it dry out in the basement or garage., resin will not stick to damp wood.

cretus

Seaman

I got the stringers out. They were some type of fir or cedar and in fairly good shape also. I have multiple grinders which made the task easy. I couldn't believe how flimsy the hull became after removing them. I dont know if I can use PT wood. All the home stores around here seems to sell wood straight from the pressure cooker. The water just squeezes out of them. Can regular pine boards coveredd in resin be used?

jonesg

Admiral

Get some PT ply and let it dry out, then laminate to the same dimension as the old stringers, glass them in.
Shop around for dry wood, try a covered lumber yard instead of big home stores.
Order unwaxed poly resin, home stores only sell waxed and you don't want that stuff.

cretus

Seaman

I've decided to go with epoxy, just for its superior ability to stick to old glass. I've shopped and shopped around and theres so many different kinds with wide price swings. Question is will the medium set thin epoxy from US Composite work?
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

RBagdon

Seaman Apprentice

We used the 435 standard layup poly resin from US Composites and did not have a problem with it adhearing to the old fiberglass. Just sanded and wiped with acetone

cretus

Seaman

ok heres where I'm at. I've got the transom in and glued to the outer skin. The stringers, well, they're driving me nuts. I'm no carpenter and I'm not scared to admit it. I've been trying my hardest to make them out of 3/4 ac plywood and have about reach the set the boat on fire point. Can I just use 2X4s or is that just a no no. The stringers that came out were some kind of fir 2Xs and well out of the range I want to spend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What problems are you experiencing with the AC Fir Plywood when trying to fabricate your stringers. I will be more than happy to talk you thru the process. It really is not that hard. Send me a PM with your issues or post em here and I'll give you as specific answers as I can.

cretus

Seaman

Its just AC exterior ply. I'm just lacking in good tools, time and patience, lol. I'm not getting my cuts straight and even which is going to end up with me behind a belt sander all weekend. I just figured a good old 2X painted with epoxy, then glassed in the boat would do.

cretus

Seaman

Ok guys. I bought a belt sander for my stringer problems. All I can say is wow what a tool. Someone could have mentioned this,lol. Either way I sanded down my ply stringers and have them in the boat. Pictures will come soon as I get them completely glassed in. I need to spare myself from the repeated coments on my complete lack of glassing skills. Air bubbles are plentiful since the tape I'm using just wont lay down. I have the sides good and sealed to the hull, its just the top of the stringers thats giving me the hardest time. But hey the ones that came out had a fair amount of air themselves. The foam that had got between the stringers and the glass gave that away. It lasted thirty plus years the way it was so I figure my little bubble problem would be ok. I've wasted so much epoxy that these stringers will never come out again, lol.
Heres my next question. I'm going to put carpet back in the boat, but I'd like to repaint the deck and the sides before I glue carpet back in. Question is, is there a paint that can be picked up at the local paint store that will stick to the epoxy? I've been to Lowes and Home Depot, but their staff dont have any knowledge about anything that doesn't go on a wall.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Rustoleums Professional Oil Base will do the trick. It's on the deck of my boat and working Great!!!! I thinned mine 10 % with Acetone and Sprayed it with a HF HVLP Spray Gun. Went on very Easy and smooth.

yhst-77290804275958_2146_15361327

cretus

Seaman

Awesome. Thanks. I'm hoping to get the deck in next weekend.

cretus

Seaman

Alright we have the budget paint now how bout a budget filler to go around the edges of the boat when the new floor is in.