1972 Ouachita rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Ouachita rebuild

KC4zqz
You should probably start your own thread and post some pics and you will get a lot of help on your project. A sawzall with a broken off short blade should help you remove your top cap. As cretus said, foam is mainly for floatation. replace if you want but not NEEDED. Make SURE to wear a GOOD respirator not a dust Mask. Goggles(Tape over the vents) a Tyvek suit etc.. The fiberglass dust is NO JOKE! IT will KILL YOU!!!! Check out this thread for some Great pics on how to do your Transom

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929&page=6&highlight=parrisw

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys for the info. Had it not been for the glass under the cap it would have been fairly simple to remove. I guess I should have known better! If I replace the foam it will cost close to $300 for uscomposites 2 part foam and shipping. They say its closed cell and water resistant but I'm wondering if it's the same stuff as that waterlogged mess that I'm looking at now. I have some old 6 oz plain weave E-glass I was thinking abt using if I have enough. That would help off-set the price of the foam.

Anyway, I'm abt too sore to move today - I may just wait till next week for round 2. I need to see if I can find a cheap camera - I dripped a little sweat in the buttons on my old Finepix and killed it plus I need to check out the sawsall. Charles.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The two Part foam from uscomposites will NOT absorb water, but... You can use the Pink Or Blue slab stuff from Lowe's and cut it to fit. Lot's of guys on here do that. Heck they even use Pool Noodles. E-Glass will work especially if you're using epoxy. If you're using Poly not as well. You need to use a layer of mat first. Start your own Thread dude!!!!

cretus

Seaman

Funny thing about those pool noodles. We were doing a electrical job at Stone Mountain Park and they had hundreds of them for a winter gig they were doing. They said I could have as many as I wanted for the boat but they would have to verify it before I took them. I got tired of waiting and put my deck in the boat. The next day they were all in the dumpster at the park.