1971 MG15 Crestliner w/85 Evinrude Electric shift and Spartan Tilt Trailer project

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so one of the mods told me to start my restore topic and manage everything here. I purchased the boat (road trip details in Dockside Chat) in Wisconsin, drove there and pulled it back this week. The boat is 99.5% original, chrome is in great shape, vinyl isn't too bad for 41 years but there are a few issues I'd like to discuss and get suggestions for.

Question # 1.

1971 85 hp Evinrude. Is not pumping water from the seller's report on eBay. My first need is to remove the lower unit and inspect the pump housing, impeller (replace it) and make sure the PO who installed the lower unit (not original) installed it correctly. Which brings up my question: I've replaced impellers on newer OB's but have never been around an electric shift style, what should I expect when pulling it? Any special requirements to drop the unit? I'm planning on purchasing a service manual which brand is the best to purchase?

Question # 2.

The PO did some redneck engineering to install a umbrella stand by using Liquid Nails to glue the 4" flange base to the vinyl floor. Not only that but he also decided to glue with Liquid Nails on the side of the vinyl seat too! :facepalm: Does anyone know of anything that might remove this stuff without damaging the vinyls? interiorMG15 001.jpg

Question # 3.

The fiberglass needs a good buff and polish job to it. Before I attempt to start on it I wanted to get some information regarding the racing stripes. My past knowledge of flat black racing stripes is that you don't get polish on them or they'll turn to a milky color. These sets of stripes (there's 2 series) each is 3/8" black line, then a space, then 1" black line, then a space and then another 3/8" black line. How do I polish the fiberglass between the 3/8" stripes and the 1" inch stripe without getting on the Flat black?
interiorMG15 004.jpg

I'll try to get some photos posted up tonight of these issues. I'd like to address these for now and then when winter comes do a full restore (stringers, floor and transom).
Thanks in advance for any help/information to these questions.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 MG15 Crestliner w/85 Evinrude Electric shift and Spartan Tilt Trailer projec

I've added some photos related to the questions I have. Hope someone has some input.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1971 MG15 Crestliner w/85 Evinrude Electric shift and Spartan Tilt Trailer projec

Q#2: If the vinyl doesn't show any oxidation, it probably does, start easy & w/out too harsh a chemical. Anything that will work as a release agent to break the bond at the edge of the LiqNail. WD40, or whatever your favorite rusted bolt buster spray lubricant is. If you can break the post free from the floor, it would 'soak' better & longer if you could lay the seat over on the port side so the WD40 won't run off. The LiqNail may come off, but it will probably leave a discolored halo or pull the oxidized blue vinyl off leaving a somewhat brighter blue halo. Harsh chemicals may get the job done but if the vinyl is or was oxidized it may show everywhere it comes in contact w/ the vinyl.

Q#3: I'd let the black stripes go, polish/wax right over them, and plan to replace it when you do the rehab next winter. You'll probably pull the rubrail & cap to redo the deck. Is 1" black pinstripe available like the narrow is? Since the stripes appear to be on raised body molded line, when you get the cap all tuned up & pretty during the rehab, you can mask off & use paint to redo the stripes or pinstripe tape. Either way, then mask that off & clear over it using the body molded line as a break point. Then you can keep polishing over it every time you buff the boat.

Hope the water~impeller~lower all goes nice & smooth!

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks jb. I'll try some Kroil oil on the Liquid Nails and see how it does.

Hope someone from the Evinrude/Johnson section pipes in on the lower unit issue. Don't want to start taking it apart without knowing what I'm up against inside with the electric shift style.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm sorry I couldn't answer Q#1, but I should have said post a '1971 85 hp Evinrude not pumping water' thread over in the 'Rude forum. Some 'Rude/Johnsons don't have tell-tales I've heard.... In the thread post the Q's @ selectric & lower details. There is Top Secret thread & wiring diagram thread on the homepage for those motors.

W/ Envy, can't wait to see ya get under way w/ her!

I told the guy w/ the red boat, no thanks if trailer isn't towable. I can't justify a what if trip to see it & risk spend a couple days getting the trailer squared away for travel. If something changes, you can still have the trailer, & I'd help do the unspeakable deed to the hull:facepalm:

John

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds good. I'm a ways away from dealing with the trailer issue. Want to get the motor running, buff it out and attempt to get the interior cleaned up some to use it for water skiing this summer with my wife and daughter.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

At some point in the future I will need to figure out how to remake these logos on new vinyl for the seats. The logo is on the backs of both seats to the lounge chair system. Still looking around for the correct plaid pattern and color the main seat area and the dash, no luck so far. I'm hoping to find something pretty close to matching it if possible.
Does anyone know how I can emboss the vinyl with this logo? I figure it's some type of heat used with a logo designed into a metal press. Wonder what temperature is used to get it to not burn the vinyl but yet leave the image in the surface of the vinyl?
logoinvinyl.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

If they're in as good as shape as the 1 pictured appears to be, to change color you could try vinyl dye. I understand it has gotten much better in recent years & is fairly simple to do correctly. That seat back looks like it's in good enough shape to carefully remove stitching & sew it into a new seat back vinyl. Unless it's the texture that doesn't fit your vision more then the color. I bet the plaid vinyl is available somewhere, but where & how much...... I think the plaid fits with the blue gelcoat & blue logo'd vinyl color.

Have a great weekend.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll take some full photos of the interior and all the "bad" spots that need attention. If I'm going to restore this, either I try to save the as much of the plaid sections as possible and like you said, sew them in to the new seat covers. So far I've striked out on finding that actual design and color of plaid.
My first plan was to redo everything on the boat (thinking it all needed to be redone before I saw the boat face to face) to match my 2008 Silver Wrangler Unlimited but now that I see the condition of the boat as a whole and my wife has seen it.......I only have 1 direction to go, keep the original color and design per my wife's orders!! :facepalm: If it wasn't going to be a family boat I'd tell her where to go with that thought!! :D But since it is going to be "a family time" boat, I need to make sure my wife is happy with it and wants to spend time in it with me. Hey, I'm not a plaid fan at all...I was looking forward to a metal-flake Silver and Black trim but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make the Mrs. happy.
You have a great weekend too.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's several more photos of the interior. It's definitely Blue. interiorMG15 002.jpgCrestliner 007.jpgCrestliner 016.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man, all that looks really great for 41+ yr. Yep, it is most definitely blue:)

But the plaid looks like it might be salvageable. Same w/ the logo seat back pieces! A few minor changes might make the blue less intense. Solid colored 'carpet' & seat bases for 1.

Now you need to find a font to match the Mad Men logo, do it in a blue plaid vinyl to match your seat inserts & name 'her' a him:

Mad Man

Have a great weekend. Hope the 'Rude guys get the motor humming along right!

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB,

Even thought I'd love to change up the color some with the interior, any changes would be a minus on a restoration to original, so I'll probably continue to search for the closest vinyl material I can find to the color and texture.

The Johnson/Evinrude guys have given some great help and I'll be taking the lower unit off next weekend. Ordering the pump kit either today or tomorrow for it. Still need to locate the special lower unit gear lube yet, may end up ordering it from iboats.

Took my cutting wheel to the ball coupling on the trailer yesterday and switch it from a 1-7/8 to a 2" so it matches all my other trailers that way I don't have to have 2 types of ball hitches. Just need to wire wheel it today then prime and paint it. I think that's the only mod I'm going to do to this trailer and just build a every day use trailer for the boat and mothball the original trailer. As I mentioned before, I'd like the boat to sit level and as low as possible on a trailer, the original definitely won't do that. If I can't find a cheap bass boat trailer that I can build from, I'll just get some C channel from the metal company and build the whole trailer.

Going to start buffing the boat today and see if I can't get a super shine on it. The plexiglass windshield is going to need some work, not sure if I want to spend the time on trying to get that cleaned up and clear or just purchase a new replacement instead. Looks like it's take some major time getting the scratches out of it and polished, probably save time and money by just getting a piece cut to fit (it's really close to be a flat piece of plexiglass.
If I have time today I'll also start putting some Kroil lube on the Liquid Nails and see if I can't get both the pole removed and most of the glue too.
Next weekend will be the water pump, pull both fuel tanks and battery to inspect the bilge area for rot and find a location for a bilge pump install. For safety reasons, I need to at least upgrade that part of it out of the original specs. Hate to have to drill a bilge hole in the side of the boat but I don't have much of a choice.
Going to take photos of the lower unit removal and pump install, also photos of the other stuff I'm going to be doing to the boat next weekend to keep this up-to-date.
Monday I'm going down to DGIF (fish and game) to attempt to register the boat without a title (Wisconsin doesn't have titles for boats under 16 ft. I guess) this will be interesting. Then I need to get some forms from DMV to file a homemade trailer for the Spartan because the chances of DMV giving me a title for a trailer that doesn't have a serial number or a title from Wisconsin is probably ZERO! It's pretty easy in VA to get a homemade trailer VIN so a person can get a title for the trailer. So I'm not to worried about that part of it, the boat is my main concern, I got a feeling they're going to make me jump through a bunch of hoops before it's finished and titled.
I shall see tomorrow!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good deal on the motor, I need to jump over there & read about the selectric Johnsons.

Virginia doesn't have any info online? WV does, but the break down is in the 'process', when you start getting in person inspections from a local sheriff or state trooper, that part is easy. It's the 1 guy who has to process all that info & issue the title for the whole state. Plus do whatever else he's tasked w/ at the state capital. Not a great system. But all the paperwork & forms are available. The dmv website doesn't have alot of details about how & what, but the forms are there. It was worth a shot to take them w/ filled out at my 1st dmv visit. Check about registering it as vintage. Someone got theirs registered for $6+/- instead of $25+/-.

I'll let you know if I see any possible 'good' trailers, free/cheap. That aluminum hull project you PM'd w/ awhile back, showed up again in a different classified section. Posted it yesterday. Hull & trailer only.......

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hand buffing is a long process. :( I may have to break down and purchase a buffing tool or I'll be at this for a week at least. Where I've done looks great but getting there is what isn't. In the process I'm finding little surface issues that will need to be addressed this winter when I take the boat apart. Nicks, surface bumps, spider cracks, etc.. Going to get a small bottle of gel touchup for the small nicks, just to make sure no water gets inside.
Pull the fuel tanks out.. but didn't climb up into the boat with a flashlight to look at the drain area. I did figure out what all the air scoops are for, 2 up front and 2 pointing backwards at the rear. They have duct piped from the scoops up front to the center between the 2 main stringers in front of the dash then they have duct work piping to the 2 scoops in the rear that are pointing backwards. It looks like it's a way of drying out and pumping any fumes from the fuel tanks in the rear. Air comes in the front and runs under the flooring to the rear, then it's piped up to the scoops to exit the boat. Maybe I'll get lucky and there's no water damage under the floor because of that.
I also found that the lower unit is leaking fluid/gear lube from the top seam where it bolts to the mid-section. Not sure what's going on there but I'll be finding out when I pull the lower unit.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not the best shot to show the difference between what I've buffed and what I haven't done yet. It didn't help that the sun was to my back when taking the photo but I didn't have a choice. Still have a lot of surface to buff out inside and out. Suppose to rain tomorrow so no buffing will be done, but I will be working on getting a title from our Fish and Game Dept.. Will also be swinging by a local place to pickup a new swing down trailer jack for it and maybe a spare tire bracket also.
buffingsunday182012.jpg

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the best product to use on the hull to remove stickers and decals without messing up the gel coat? The organization that put this boat up for sale uses those clear shipping pockets to slip ID numbers into for taking photos to list the boat. Those pockets have some really good adhesive on the back of them for sticking on shipping boxes and I'm having a hard time getting it to pull off the hull. Any thing that I can spray on without discoloring or causing problems with the gel coat finish?

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got home from VDGIF and DMV trying to get a title for a non-titled Wisconsin boat and trailer....it couldn't have gone any smoother. I wasn't at the VDGIF office more than 10 minutes and I had a fresh title in hand...no questions asked. Went and waited in line at DMV to get a VIN Tag for the trailer, that went smooth too. Just need to install the VIN Tag, call the police to inspect the tag placement and have him sign off on it, then 1 more trip to DMV to get a title and plate for it. I can't believe how smooth the morning went on this, I was worried for the last week that I'd run into a block of red tape over this boat not having a title at all but no problems at all.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What's the best product to use on the hull to remove stickers and decals without messing up the gel coat? The organization that put this boat up for sale uses those clear shipping pockets to slip ID numbers into for taking photos to list the boat. Those pockets have some really good adhesive on the back of them for sticking on shipping boxes and I'm having a hard time getting it to pull off the hull. Any thing that I can spray on without discoloring or causing problems with the gel coat finish?

Hair Dryer and Razor Blade Paint Scraper for the decals. Or a 3M decal eraser for your drill. Won't hurt the gelcoat a bit. Works GREAT! I have an Evinrude 1961 40 hp Selectric Shift motor that works perfect. Make sure when you pul the lower unit that you un plug the wire harness to the lower unit. I highly recommend you do a full and complete reseal job on the lower unit. That is THE most important aspect of these motors. You cannot replace the electricals in the lower unit. They do not exist. If Water gets in there the servos are toast and then you'll have to convert the motor to a manual shift or get another motor. The seals and rebuild kits are still available here,,,
http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newpage4.htm#JOHNSON EVINRUDE Includes Gale, Sea King up to 1963, and others

West Marine Sells the Type F Lower Unit Oil.

mmm7498.jpg

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woodon,

I'm not seeing their lower unit seal kit for a 71- 85hp evinrude, only goes up to 68. Is that usable with a 71? Thanks for the information.

Jeff

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you have the Model #