1970 Wooster Hellion

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Back to my frankenmerc 9.8 electric start short shaft. (I found a running short shaft and running electric long shaft and am playing musical parts)

have the lower anti-cav plate welded up on the foot. need to sand down the lower and mid section and repaint. looks like PO had rattle canned the leg every time there was a scratch or chip in the paint. good news is the aluminum is in good shape. bad news is there must be 5 layers of paint over it, including 3 variations of gloss :eek: will strip off all the paint to bare aluminum and start over with a good self etching primer

ordered new water pump kit for it. Sierra 18-3447 because I have the less readily available .438" diameter shaft :facepalm: (read that as 50% more expensive than the pump kit for the .456" diameter shaft.

new leg to cowl and powerhead to cowl gaskets coming as well. damaged a few things when I pulled the power head off that I need to address. thank god for fleabay as parts are available.

Pic as I started to pull parts off each motor

Pic just prior to the Admiral going WTF

short shaft mid that needs to be stripped. Clamp asmy will probably be bead blasted.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
spent part of the weekend pulling the lower leg apart to repaint. first I attempted to use a stripper which removed a bunch of the layers of paint. however after making a mess, eating the nitrile gloves and generally adding to my migraine, I pulled the whole leg apart to bead blast everything. good thing I did, the swivel bracket has a crack in it. going to grind it out and weld 'er up. pics soon

Scott Danforth

Staff member
status......

dissassembly of the leg. note the multiple layers of black paint

Blasted all the leg parts

Self Etching Primer

primed foot

need to order all new isolator mounts.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
OK, so this past weekend, went to West Marine to pick up some more moeller zinc primer and merc phantom black. WM no longer price matches like they used to. its now the store has to be within 50 miles...... that bites.

finished priming, got two coats of paint on the mid section and leg, then ran out, WM is 30 minutes away, and they close in 20....... started looking on-line. Mercury Phantom black is PPG Ditzler 9300 which is Gloss Black. so I cross-refferenced paint colors to a bunch of GM and Ford products, hit local auto store and picked up a rattle can of Gloss Black for a GM vehicle Finished painting the mid sections.

Turned to the cowl. was able to peal the decals off fairly easily. one side came off in one piece, other side in about 40. that is the side with the scratches. primer and spot putty have it now smooth as a babys but.

headed to work today, walking thru garage with satchel and lunch, walked past the mid section housing and bumped it enough to knock over on the concrete..... Phuck.....

tonight the humidity is about 98% (not exagerating). was able to get some sanding done and touched up the nicks with primer and spot putty, however had so much sweat dripping off of me, I look like I showered with my clothes on. hopefully tomorrow finish painting and repainting. humidity supposed to drop.

I really miss my paint booth and compressor....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So yesterday, sold the Wooster Hellion project. the funds were to go to the big block project, however the Admiral grabbed the cash and spent it on new lights and a new sink for the kitchen remodel. :cold::eek:

the project wasnt completed, however the motor was assembled, all the parts boxed up, and the new owner is tickled pink. I did loose a bunch of $ on it, however such is life.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry she's gone. Scott. I wanted see a :D after the splash!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So did I. However she will be loved. Big smile will come when I finish the BBC for the Rogue