1970 Wooster Hellion

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
well, thought I would start a resto-thread for my score http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=538002

its a 1970 Wooster Hellion. 7' long and rated for 10hp.

Picked it up in May

then I used 409, Kaboom, and the pressure washer to clean the hull

I had to drill two drain holes in the transom to get the water out. there was about 20# of rocks from the kids of the co-worker I got the boat from. I did drill the holes the perfect size of this drain plug http://www.iboats.com/SS-GARBOARD-D...5772313--session_id.358406972--view_id.929024

the steering is missing, and it looks like engine controls were never mounted. from the marks on the transom, it looks like an electric trolling motor was used.

the gel coat is in need of touching up, the rub-rail is damaged. so I will drill the rivets and split the hull.

Originally I was looking to use my '54 Merc Mark 20, however once that motor is restored, I think it will be used for something else. plus putting on a 59 year old motor on a 42 year old boat didnt seam right.

Since the boat is a 1970, I am looking for an early 70's Merc 110 (9.9hp). I did find a complete long-shaft with controls in chicago, however need a short shaft. 99% of the motors I am finding are tillers. can someone tell me which part number for the controls conversion that I should be looking for. Also, anyone have a good place to find a vintage mercontrol, please point me in the right direction. have ebay and craigslist covered. I also have to get a steering helm unit and steering wheel.

budget is non-existant right now as I have just gotten back to work. however for the next couple of weeks I will be doing fiberglass repair and removing foam.

there are plenty of pictures and videos of these little boats on google https://www.google.com/search?q=woo...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

not sure I will be keeping the robin-egg blue. will either re-gel or paint the top. Bottom will be gel

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970 Wooster Hellion

I had that exact boat when i was a kid. I had a old 10 horse Chrysler on it. A guy down the street had a body shop and he let me work on it in his shop. It was metalic black and very beat up. I sanded it down and faired it out and the guy shot it for me in his spray booth. Robins egg blue. I ended up giving it to the grandson of the man that gave it to me a couple of years ago. The stearing was locked up but I found a new one at Jamestown Distributors. (If memory serves me right) Never bought it though. I have to look through my treasures, but I think I have a vintage mercontrol. I also thought of a jet motor. That brings back memories.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

any idea what your hull serial number was? would be a hoot if it turned out to be the same boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My old boat is leaning up against a garage. I wish i still had it. My daughter is getting old enough that she could use it.

Sunspots

Cadet

Scott, just curious, did you find it near Manitowoc? My wife is from T'rivers. Looks like a cool project.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I got it from a co-worker in Green Bay, he found it at a local garage sale

Scott Danforth

Staff member

ok, now I am looking at a few Merc 10hp's. a few are the 68-74 vintage, one 75-77 vintage, one mid 80's vintage, and one mid 90's. does anyone know where I could find information on a tiller to steering/controls conversion?

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I may have just scored again. a decent shape 1984 Merc 110 (9.8hp) for $80 with tank and a new prop on it (including the old prop). runs, however doesnt pump water. so a water pump and I am good.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

pulled the lower unit off the new to me motor. other than a wasted pump from what appears to be a dried out impeller that appears to have been run without water, its not in bad shape.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

ok, so I have the one motor torn apart. while I have the foot off, fixing the chunk of cav plate thats missing. have welder, will travel. Should have it back together after payday.

found another '84 motor with controls and electric start and alternator for a reasonable price. Bad news is its in Kansas. Good news, only a few miles from the relatives. Been searching craigslist for deals on parts. following up on a never used mercontrol for the 7.5 / 9.8 with electric start (3 wires vs 7)

Shout out to Mark (klaus135) for pictures of his Hellion and for taking some measurements of cables, etc.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Time to revise this thread regarding the progress. Life has been in the way of this project for a few months

picked up the second '84 motor (electric start, long shaft). have the carb off now. just got the rebuild kit.

picked up the NIB controls.

marine surplus has a new steering rack setup with 8' cable. since the 8' cable is way to short for most people and only 6" longer than what I need. going to see if they will deal.

picked up all the gaskets needed to swap power heads. when I am done, will have an electric start short shaft. going to put the other parts back together and should have a long shaft tiller that I may hold onto or sell.

hull has been sitting so long, I need to re-clean it from the algae growth on it due to sitting.

going finally split the hull, hopefully this weekend. mostly gel coat rehab on the lower. some support needed on the upper where the steering was.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

had the pictures on my webshots page linked to the forums. and since webshots is no longer, all the pics are gone. I did start a photobucket page, however have not redone all the links.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

found a company called neptune. they are making the Hellion II http://neptune-**********/specification/

ok, since iBoats auto-redacted the link. neptune-b o a t s.com (take out the spaces)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
talked to a few Hellion owners. the big issue is the holeshot. these boats sit a bit low in the water with adults in them, and if you are the type of individuals that like pizza and beer over tofu and water, our extra girth does not help with only 10hp to propel you. vented props help, however everyone said they lean way forward to get the boat out of the hole.

With that problem, I have decided to install a set of trim tabs for the little boat. since no-one makes helm adjustable tabs for a 7' long boat, I am making a set. However since I only need a 9/16" or 3/4" diameter bore, the actuator will need to be something "outside the box". for the actuator, I will be using single acting stainless air cylinders with a spring return ($23 Bimba Cylinder). the rod end will need to be plumbed to a breather located inboard. for the pump. I will most likely be using a Bennett pump. I toyed with the idea of a push-pull cable, however why re-concept what works.

Getting the itch to get itchy and clean up the hull. most of the work will be re-geling the bottom and painting the top. the dash will need some love as there is a crack where the helm steering was mounted. probably from someone pulling themselves forward for the holeshot.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

getting back to this project. Life does get in the way of life.