1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

I was going to put a layer of 1708 down first then fit the middle stringer and use one more layer of 1708 over top the stringer. Will that work? Its sitting on saw horses that are level and 2/6"s that are 5' long screwed to the saw horses with one more in the front. It keeps it real sturdy.

the pics look fine.....when you up load to photo bucket....use photo buckets 480 x 640 somthing or other....then they are all good for this forum.....

your 1708 wrap.....stringer...... wrap....will work great......

HOWEVER>>>>>

make durn sure the craft is supported and level.....if shes out just a wee bit when you glass.....you will have more drag on one sponson than the other.

at this stage.....that is the project make or break point !

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used my grinder to trim down the saw horses legs till they were perfectly level and I can measure up from the floor to the bottom of the hull in key spots to check it to be true.

Im still waiting on the g/f's sister to buy my car!! I need the money for my supplies. She is about to miss out on a good deal, the blue book is 2200.00 and in selling it to her for 1200.00. Now I need 800.00 of that for the 350 motor for my truck. The 305 has 238000 on it and a bad intake gasket. So its getting a 350 motor & trans with 90000, mild cam, headers and msd ignition I think. They have been using the car (97 saturn 120000 miles) for 10 mos now I think thats enough of a test drive! She has a week or im gonna craigslist it for 1500.00 or best.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I used my grinder to trim down the saw horses legs till they were perfectly level and I can measure up from the floor to the bottom of the hull in key spots to check it to be true.

measuring from the floor wont do...! if the floor is not straight....neither is the boat.

stringlines tell the real story....one from the tip of a sponson to the far back of the other.....and again on the other sponson.....making an "x".....the sting should touch in the middle....if it doesnt.....make it !.....

really bud....this step is crutial.....if this was a v hull....its the equivelant of a hooked hull....the worst thing that can happen.

as far as your g/f's sister and the test drive......your pushing a really bad situation bud.....be careful how you repo the car or youl be walking down lonley street all the way to the heart break hotel ! :eek:

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will do the string lines you explained it good and it sounds easy that way. The house is only 13 years old so the floor is in great shape besides the oil, antifreeze, trans oil and the best part the nice thick layer of fiberglass dust. Do I go from the inside of the sponsons or the outer edge? Should I do lines inside the hull too?

The car is still in my name so its not so much a repo. The g/f is as fed up with the situtation as I am. It was the 4th then 10 days after that now its another 2 weeks. Wasn't that big of a deal till the truck took a dump now I need the car sold. Its still a bad situtation because she wants the car real bad, it gets about 35+ mpg. I got it from my sister for 100.00 and put about 200.00 into it, tune-up, tires, breaks and a water pump. Im a full tme student I need to drive to school. Im gonna wait for the next excuse about the money and its going on C/L.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what you are tring to check is the plaining surface....or water contact area....this needs to be the same on both of the sponsons.

it doesnt matter too much where you take the string lines from....just as long as there are from the same place on each sponson....

if you look in the hull thread....i used stringlines all over the thing.....it saved my bacon.

as far as the car.....how bout letting sis know that you intend to sell the car peirod........tell her politely that if payment in full is not received by such and such a date.....you will pick up the car....no excrptions and no half payments......just explain your situation again to her.....if you do it correctly....she could end up thanking you, instead of being upset that you just took her car.

situations like this allways seem to come around and bite you good. they have to be handeled in such a way that feelings are never hurt....but it allways hurts when somthing is taken away