1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

i386

Captain
Re: 1970 kay hydroplane restoration with pictures..

On my boat I had several places where a piece of wood was glassed to the boat just like in your pic. I was able to remove mine pretty easily by cutting around the perimeter with a cutoff wheel or using a hammer and chisel. I was then able to pry the piece off. Once it's out you just have to run the grinder around the edges to flatten it back out.

I pretty much tore down my whole boat with these tools. You might see a few of them in my pics.;)

Safety glasses
Gloves
Hammer
Sacrificial wood chisel
Flat pry bar
Rotozip (R.I.P.):( with cutoff wheel
Dremel
Drill
Center punch and round punches
Hand saw
Files

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Here's the original pictures, with levels adjusted to bring out some detail. Thought you might want to see a before/after comparison.

Attachments

• 1005082034.jpg
    1005082034.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • 1005082035a.jpg
    1005082035a.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1005082036.jpg
    1005082036.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1005082036a.jpg
    1005082036a.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im going to have to go buy a new angle grinder mine seems to have disappeared into thin air?

I didn't notice how dark those pictures were at first, it was just easer to take new ones. That does make a big differance.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tools seem to have a way of walking away.....im positive my tape measure at the store has legs....the really nice one i bought...(best tape measure ive ever seen) must of came with wings.....cause it flew the coup in just a few days.

i keep buying thoes little el cheap o angle gronders......keep the recipts....when they die...just return them......

you can have that boat done in no time now......remove the stringers...and transom...keep what you can as a template....copy it....glass over any holes in the hull from the inside....(1708....possibly an entire inner hull wrap)

re install the transom and strings......then start sanding the finish !

cheers
oops

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the first section came out pretty nicely. Its all small sections maybe a few feet to one foot. I have a piece a 1/2" maybe 4'x5' that should be enough for the stringers and bottom and a full sheet of 3/4 for the transom.
I looked around on ebay at fiberglass cloth and looks like i can enough for about 110.oo-170.oo using epoxy resin. What is 7008? All i see is different oz's cloths. Sure glad I have a tiny boat for my first time! The other day i was on the ol craigslist and see a free 30' with dual v8's still in it, now that would take time. Well here are a couple pics. Thanks for the advice keep it comming Iv'e never done this before.
This one is about a foot long but goes down about 1.5" tat I cant get to.
1014081450.jpg

the piece that came out.
1014081450a.jpg

1014081451.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

1708 is a fiberglass cloth mat combination....one side is 17 oz of a bi axe fabric....that means the weaves of the cloth are going in 4 different directions. and 8 os of matt on the othere side...

detailed pics are in the hull ext thread....one layer over the whole inner hull is all you need for that boat. i think about page three...the pics of the roll of cloth

here....im gonna search a link for you....dont get too messed up in the derailes....it is only a primmer on glass and cloth...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=272983&highlight=confused+on+matt

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks that explaines that. What kind of resin should I use? It sounds like I really don't need to use epoxy?

How much of the floor wood needs to come out, just the rotted parts or all? Half way up everything looks fine and i drilled some samples and the wood is good.

The back end is rotted and the spot at the front of the first stringer I took out, thats where the crack that was covered up with something on the bottom. The bottom in the back is 2 layers of wood covered with glass, the top layer I can see is rotted so thats comming out first.

Do I need to put new wood down or will the extra glass make up for it? For now i'll just work on the rotted wood.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

these are really good questions.....

poly or epoxy....take out everything....or just what is bad....

the poly epoxy question is a common one here.....

it is my opinion...that polyester resin is all you need on this job.
epoxy, while being much stronger, is over kill for the boat...the cost is a factor in the decision....but with the size of the boat...you could prob do the whole thing in epoxy with about 5 or 6 gals...(that is including a full wrap of 1708...it drinks...big time)

hydro...that choice is yours.....:)

as far as ripping out all the wood.....again...that choice is yours....a repair will replace only what is bad...a re-fit will replace it all....

with a repair...you will be trying to "scabb" on parts and peices to 20 year old wood....if its all new...the replacement will be just as fast if not faster...and you will have a brand new boat.

the prep work will be a little more thourough.....the end product on a re-fit is far better than a repair.

personally....with the super small size of that boat....id do it all.....it can be done in just a short peirod of time....

how you build YOUR boat is up to you.....if it were up to me....you and i would convert it into a stepped hull cabin crusier :D

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I think I will go poly seeings how its 1/3 the price. As far as wood goes im gonna have to break down and just go get the grinder (mines still not showing its face) and start grinding, ripping and pulling as much as I can till i hit bare hull or change my mind. The little chanel down the center of the boat is filled in along with the stringer sections, thats the main problem right now the rest is just glassed down on the surface. Any way to get rid of some weight? I think the 1"+ thick of wood and glass in the back half of the hull is an over kill and a 1/2" would be more than enough? Its hard to explain the way this thing is done as far as the wood goes. The wood was bolted to the glass hull so im going to grind the bolts on the inside and tap them out the bottom. I don't need to put 20 bolts back in do I, or just glass it down good on the inside and patch the holes on the bottom?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an up date. All the stringers are pretty rotted I've got most of them out. One small hole you can see it in the photos. I got some 24 grit fiber backed paper today but im still using the cut off wheel. I did core samples on all the wood and it was all rotted but the center stringer that was giving me all the problems. I already cut it out so its all going.. Is elmers poly resin good? they have it al lowes for 32.oo.. I pulled the (fins) off the bottom, it's looking like the hull came painted the light blue. Under the bolts and washers on the bottom it was the light blue. All that wood was rotted, I just cut the heads off the bolts and lifted the wood (with my pickel fork) and it came up good.. The bottom stringers that go down in the sponsons look good and are strong but the core samples were rotted. Like OOP's said just refit the replcement would just take longer and leave old carps in the boat.. Ok the pics finally loaded!! here they are..

i386

Captain

Whew! I do not miss that stage of the project. Keep up the good work and keep taking those pics.:)

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I take the hull off the trailer and set it on the floor? Im starting to notice that the hull is getting kinda flexable with the wood out of it. Should I put it on the floor with some blocks of wood in spots to help it keep its shape?

i386

Captain

Yea they do get floppy at that stage. I left mine on the trailer but did add some blocks of wood in key places. You definitely want it to be true when you glass in the stringers. If it's not, it will stay that way. You can support it any way you like. Just consider a comfortable working height.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I thought about the back ach if it was on the floor. I think I might try to turn it abound and put a tow strap under the front half and hook it to the ceiling? the back half is ok but the front has one roler all the way in the front and the rest there is nothing till the back 4'.

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some new pics.. all the wood is out but the two main stringers that will come out last. Still grinding on the middle chanel and finding cracks.
this is where the repair on the bottom was.
photo bucket won't resize the right way?
http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp46/crizzo_photos/

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hydro.....youve really got to support that hull befor you make the template for the stringers.......take several stringline checks to make sure the hull is straight.....support where nessary...(keep in mind....every time you support one area....another area will shift)....then make the template for the stringers.

as far as the cracks..... its hard to tell....but it looks like they are in the stringer bedding compound and hopefully not into the hull, i would grind that stuff out........

you are doin great bud......you are just about ready for the reconstruction phase......in a boat that size......it wont take long at all.....

cheers
oops

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one crack does go all the way through, Im going to need to get a new cutoff wheel soon. I didn't see the crack till I got all the dust and wood carp out today. The cracks up in the front look like there just in the stringer bed but im going to take it down more probably later tonight. I need to figure out better ways to support the hull. Getting it off the trailer was a big help but I would like to get it back on the floor and stable enough to stand in. Im most worried about grinding holes through the hull I have one hole about the size of dime. I left the 2 stringes there to help keep the shape of the hull but they will be the easiest to get out in one peice to use for a patern.

What are stringline checks?

Im hoping to get the stringer bed ALL removed with out holes in the hull but im thinking these may be high hopes?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no....it is not a high hope....with care it can be done easily....just use a smaller grinding setup for delicate areas....some guys use a dremmel for really tight spots.

and...dont worry if you go thru......you have just ripped apart the whole hull....a hole is an easy repair at this point.
besides....you will need a complete 1708 inner hull wrap any how..if you get a hole....just add some csm over it before you do the big layup.

a string line check....is where you take a stringline and put it on the bottom of the transom....and run it forward......no gaps between the hull and string.

because it is a hydro....you will need to take measurements on each sponson.

and as far as the tunnel.....im not sure of the actual tunnel...if its flat or concave........

scott will know that....bond-o might also....

id pm chinewalker...(scott)....and bond-o........give them the link to this thread......dont ask in pm....just ask them to look in on the thread about the tunnel........(read bondo-s sig)

cheers bud
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

for the stringline check on the tunnel....just go from sponson to sponson....the line gap should be the same....across.

and from inner sponson aft to oppisite sponson fore.....does that make sence?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep I get it! I will pm them and see if they will have a look later. dremmel good idea!! I have one that I need a use for, (I used to work at Sears auto and lived in the tools clearance). I need to get at all set up on the flood so i can stand in there. That will make the grinding go faster.

Next question; How much do I sand the rest? just a rough scuff or take it down to the glass before the stringers were put in? Its pretty lumpy and thick in places but hard to determine when I hit the original. I think it was a kit boat.