1969 Mark Twain 15' Tri-Hull 115 Evinrude - Partial Rebuild

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1969 Mark Twain 15' Tri-Hull 115 Evinrude - Partial Rebuild

Another ?. Has anyone ever seen a cooler seat? IE just a cooler with a pad sewn and attached to the lid? We are thinking of incorporating that into part of the seating on this boat, and I am not finding any thing to compare to on here.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The only ones I've ever seen were real big and probably meant to be the main helm seat on a center console type boat.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, we are going to sew our own upholstery we think, but thats exactly what we were looking at. I think we are planning on mounting a carpet covered cage to the floor to secure the cooler, but still allow it to be removed. Velcro is a good idea to mount the seat to the cooler as well.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like your twain mine is very similar to yours. I am going to rebuild the area in the rear of mine to look like yours. mine is a 17'. yours is a great looking boat have fun and enjoy.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I misfigured, make that 12 gallons of resin....whoops!

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just got done grinding on the boat. Worked from front to back, about 75% of the grinding down to bare glass is done at this point. However when up under splashwell, I noticed some unsealed holes that I hadn't drilled near in the transom. All other holes had been dry and sound, however I followed around these, and there is bad rot......sooo...looks like we are going to be splitting the girl and replacing a transom too. Which means this project is moving out to the in laws so I have the equipment to lift the motor and lift the cap, etc. I think in the end its for the best, Even though I hadn't planned on replacing the transom, the back of my mind kept worrying that it wasn't as sound as the tests had indicated, I mean absolutely every other piece of wood in the boat is toast, how did it survive?

Things I learned tonight, and advice for other rookie boaters looking to restore their first.

1. Aluminum boats are good.......:D.
2. Most likely you are going to have more in the boat than its worth, don't restore it for any other reason than you want to have a boat that you know every part of it is sound, and in great shape, and you like the boat (which I really do like this one). We decided to go this route because we are hoping to be in under 3k, and all the 3k boats we found either didn't have enough engine for what we wanted, or we weren't absolutely sure the stringers and transom were still in good shape. When we are done with this boat, we will have alot of money in it, but we know what we have too.
3. Its gonna take 3x as long as you think.
4. Its gonna cost 3x as much as you think.
5. Grinding fiberglass SUCKS. Its nasty stuff, wear all the protection you can, and a respirator is an absolute must.
6. If you get fiberglass in your skin (which I have a ton) use sticky tape to yank the shards out of your skin.
7. Yanking the shards out of your skin also mean yanking the hair off your arms.
8. Yanking the hair off your arms hurts just as bad as the shards in your skin.
9. Did I mention wear all the protection you can?
10. If its ever been left uncovered....most likely everything is going to be rotten. Plan on replacing it all from the start.
11. Did I mention Aluminum is good?

No, seriously though, at this point I am starting to get discouraged, but I am going to push through. Its gonna be worth it in the end right?
Short term timeline right now is.....

Sunday hopefully move the boat to the in laws, remove the motor, split the cap, finish grinding and removal of old transom.
Fiberglass is going to be on order first thing next week hopefully.
Following weekend Turkey hunt on Friday....Saturday and Sunday get transom and stringers cut and installed. Maybe cap back on.
From there, One weekend to glass the stringers and install the floor & carpet & seats, one weekend to install the motor and wire.

Shooting for mothers day weekend splash down, so I am anticipating it will be the end of the summer! LOL

One question, is it possible to replace the transom without splitting the boat and removing the cap? Just curious.

I'll try to do pictures later, but its KU basketball time! ROCK CHALK!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

One question, is it possible to replace the transom without splitting the boat and removing the cap? Just curious.

Post some pics so we can see, but... probably not.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pictures of the grinding process, and where I peeled back the glass to find the rot.

View from the outside, I can jump on the motor and the transom doesn't flex at all.....
IMG_7957.jpg

Still got some grinding work on the stringers towards the back.....
IMG_7959.jpg

Grinding is pretty much ready up front, you can see the one spot I went up to bare glass to where I am going to tab in the hull. That part will go pretty quick...I love flap discs......anybody use anything different?
IMG_7960.jpg

Here is a corner, tests over here were completely dry and intact. The skin on the inside of the transom is very thin, doesn't look like they depend on it for much strength. This part is so intact I don't know how I can cut it out without taking off the cap.
IMG_7961.jpg

Peeled the skin off by the drain plug and wood is pretty intact there, can't peel it with a screwdriver. This is why I initially thought it was pretty well intact. You can see to the left of the motor bolt the spot I found that was rotted, screwdriver goes right in here....
IMG_7962.jpg

Just a wide shot again, I think the cap has to come off, unless someone has some wisdom for me.
IMG_7964.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm NOT really seein any way around a DE-Capitation!!!! UNLESS.... you wanted to cut the gunwales in front of the splashwell and just remove the back 3 ft of the cap. It has been done before. You can glass the gunwales back together and make it INVISIBLE with very little effort if your a decent glasser!!!! Up to you.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmmm, I'll think about that (cutting towards the back of the gunwhale), I wasn't planning on painting anything, this is not going to be a restore by any measure of the imagination, so even if I paint over that part and its brighter white....I don't really think that would bother me.

I'll explain things over with the wife and see what she thinks.....she usually has strong opinions about things LOL.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is a ROUGH idea of what I am talking about. IF you are NOT wanting to go to the trouble of a total decap and can do some fairly good glassin you should be able to do this with little to know issues.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the example...I think thats the way we are leaning right now. I got new tires and greased the bearings on the trailer, its going to make its trip out to the in laws probably sunday, once I get the engine off I think we will decide then.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm always on here if you need any further help, or you can PM me anytime

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You can certainly cut the top cap like that although I've never been a big fan of more cosmetic glass work than is necessary. The cap on your boat isn't that bad, I'd pop the whole thing and get it out of the way. Replace the wood in your transom and put her back together. I mean you're this far why skimp now. Your quite correct about your statement earlier about it's not worth the cost, but the way I look at is....a new boat is 20K plus, you'll have a good sound one for under 3K, you won't be able to sell it for a profit, but if a good boat is what you're after you'll have that and be well under new costs.

Good luck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CW IS correct!! The additional time it will take to remove and reinstall the cap in it's entirety should not be that bad but...you can do it either way.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can certainly cut the top cap like that although I've never been a big fan of more cosmetic glass work than is necessary. The cap on your boat isn't that bad, I'd pop the whole thing and get it out of the way. Replace the wood in your transom and put her back together. I mean you're this far why skimp now. Your quite correct about your statement earlier about it's not worth the cost, but the way I look at is....a new boat is 20K plus, you'll have a good sound one for under 3K, you won't be able to sell it for a profit, but if a good boat is what you're after you'll have that and be well under new costs.

Good luck.

Yep...and thats the entire thing we are going for (sound boat we have confidence in). The other thing I love about this boat, is the engine still has pretty much all parts available for it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I've said before, removing the cap is a pain but it gives you such great access to everything that it's worth the effort. Beats trying to work around it.

tlzimmerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yanked the motor today. If we decide to continue with this restore we are going to split the whole cap.

Found a boat on Clist today, 17 foot 69 glastron with a 91 40 horse engine, guy is asking 800 obo. If the Floor...stringers...and transom are in good shape we are going to go buy that one, and hang this 115 off the back of it and then sell the 91. It looks good in pictures, and supposedly its stored inside, might be going to look at it Tuesday evening.

I'll keep ya updated, and thanks for the advice guys.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Found a boat on Clist today, 17 foot 69 glastron with a 91 40 horse engine, guy is asking 800 obo. If the Floor...stringers...and transom are in good shape we are going to go buy that one, and hang this 115 off the back of it and then sell the 91. It looks good in pictures, and supposedly its stored inside, might be going to look at it Tuesday evening.

That would be a free boat. Get it regardless!