1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

Well, things keep moving, albeit never as fast as I hope.

The Easy-Off has been a miracle. I am almost done with the port side, and probably 2/3 done with the starboard. I ran out of the stuff this AM so I Dremeled out some blisters that I found. Probably a good idea that I have been soaking it with the hose to rinse the Easy-Off, as they showed up well against the otherwise dry paint.

The blisters and some surface scratches on the hull are getting Bond-Glassed. I know this is not ideal, but I happen to have it, and it will be well sanded and primed so I am not overly concerned about it. The boat is also trailered, so I have no real concerns.

Someone here recommended heating up rattle cans with warm/hot water before painting. I tried this on the cowling and top of my Merc. It worked AWESOME :D My previous attempts were terrible and I sanded them back down. I cleaned them with ammonia and water but I missed some spots or maybe didn't scrub hard enough, because there are a few small problem areas, but I have spent FAR too much time on them and what's done is done. I might only clear coat to protect the decals. Paint is very shiny. (I used regular Rustoleum this time.)

Bought a rubberized switch at Pep Boys for the horn (I noticed their switches look suspiciously like "marine" switches I see in big vendor catalogs) this AM. I need to get some 10 gauge wire to run to the switch panel from the battery and then the wiring will be essentially done.

Right now by primary task is to complete the antifouling paint removal and get the *#!@ hull painted so the paint has time to cure while I attend to other things.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2v9wu3s.jpg

Garage is a mess, wife is resigned to it for now :D

Finally got some 10g wire and redid the + and - from the battery to the helm. Also switched some wiring onto a bus bar for the ground. My wife is going out tonight so my goal is to complete the wiring and complete the antifouling removal while she's out.

Results of Rustoleum heated up in the sink before use - MUCH better.

oswvae.jpg

295vlp0.jpg

Next is to wetsand topside with 2000 so I can install the VHF.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ugh, thought 'd be done with the hull by now and on to paint. Not so.

Finally gave the boat a little tug with the Jeep today so I could get to the antifouling covered by the rollers. Once that is done I'll sand everything and finish the hull repairs.

Wiring is basically done...I am going to install a small fuse block for the accessories (lighter, radio, extra lights, etc.)

Bought a much nicer Merc aluminum cowling "badge" which should be here any day. I am having decals cut by someone I know.

First shot shows the helm, with power! The LED is green when switched power is reaching the control box.

Second shot shows the paint near the bow after a first cut with 2000 and polish. If I had known how this would look polished I would have gone one or two more coats and really cut it down. I can see how this could be mirror-like if you were careful. Oh well. I'll make sure the hull gleams.

10891mg.jpg

jaynv5.jpg

I was going to mount the VHF on top of the dash, but it takes up a lot of room. I am going to try and get some brackets/angles at Home Depot and put it right below.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Started working on starboard side hull last night. Ground out a bunch of scratches/bubbles and Bondo-Glassed them. Started sanding the glop off this morning. What a chore. Yech.

And I GOT MY TITLE, REGISTRATION, AND BOAT NUMBER from the state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Boat had a lost title so this was hanging over me all summer...but I did the paperwork right. WEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Everything looks great. Glad you got your paperwork in order.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cowling Paint came out good! Glad your title paperwork came through.
Keep on keepin on. You'll be splashin in no time!

I'm just sayin...:D

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, my kids are still with their grandmother, my wife left Saturday to go up with them, so I worked like CRAZY over the weekend. But I'm still not where I thought I'd be :( My goal was to have the hull repair done and paint started so that when I left for vacation next week the hull paint would have time to set. I have run into a lot of gouges into the glass, a lot of barnacles under the antifouling (good job to whomever sanded them semi-flat and then painted over them...ugh).

Anyway:

-Cleats are installed and supported by new wood backing blocks. All stainless hardware (that goes for the whole boat - replaced basically every screw/nut on it)
-Lighter/chart light wired
-VHF wired. I was gonna install the antenna too, but when I stopped by Holly Acres here in Woodbridge they were closed, even though the sign said open. So bollocks to you, Holly Acres - I'll go to West Marine again.
-Painted floor with Rustoleum and non-skid additive
-Bow light wired/functional
-Hull repairs are nearing completion. I got on my back this morning to finish grinding the last stubborn antifouling off the keel and saw some places I missed that need more work with the fiberglass. Sigh.
- windshield that I managed to ruin (main screen) with paint stripper got broken down, cleaned, sanded, primed, and repainted. I should be able to cut a new one out of Plexi without much drama.

2u4ngoj.jpg

nmyizb.jpg

24b3k8i.jpg

(This last pic is a replacement cowling cover I got on ebay...even has a pull cord stowed. I was playing around with FX Camera on my HTC Incredible and used the Polaroid filter.)

To top it all off, I could not get the motor started this weekend. I just wanted to run it for a while, spins over fine, spluttered a bit, never fired. I am hoping that I just managed to flood it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I like those old merc cowlings. Very Cool!!!!

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much progress lately...went on vacation to the Outer Banks. Got evacuated from Avon on Hatteras because of Earl...so we went to Southern Shores. Next morning we got evacuated from there, so we gave up and went home. Pretty big bummer after all that has happened this summer. Oh well.

Finished the hull repairs and scraping. Primed the hull below the waterline and some scratches and such that had been repaired above. Entire hull from top to bottom was been powersanded so it should hold the paint well.

First coat went on this morning, got almost the entire boat. Maybe I can finish tonight. I think I am going to do four good coats and then polish the heck out of the sides. I am not really worried about the bottom.

rbha1t.jpg

1zl6ref.jpg

I bought a sand-blasted bottom-cowling on Ebay for the Merc, painting that now. Then I have to remove the exterior guts of the outboard to replace it.

Kind of incredible to believe that I am actually getting to the end of this. I hope I have enough fall left to take her out a couple times.

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been hard lately to find the energy...been dealing with some unexpected fatigue issues from my illness this summer :(

Anyway - updates. Bought a nice media blasted lower cowling on Ebay, painted it up real nice, started to take apart the motor to install it - then realized that the ENTIRE powerhead needs to come off (not just accessories). Well, screw that. I am putting it back together, sanding it on the motor, and just rattle-canning it.

Windshield frame is back on - this time with all new stainless hardware. As with virtually every piece of this boat I have replaced non-stainless hardware. Now I need to go to Home Depot and cut myself a new front piece of plexi.

Second coat of paint is on. I sanded with 320 after the first. Did a really good job on the sides, so so on the bottom. I just wanted to give the bottom enough scuff for the paint to get a "bite." Don't need a mirror finish down there.

2957lgg.jpg

34ydwf7.jpg

Still have to do the impeller and I have a timing belt coming. After that, apart from some loose ends I think the only major things left are to install a bilge pump.

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not much to update. Second coat is on and sanded.

Bought a Merc flywheel puller and a timing belt. The old belt was likely original, cracked and brittle all over.

Ripped the belt trying to put it on :mad: Ordering a new one this AM.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Buzz,

You're makin progress. I know what you mean about the health issues. My Gall Bladder is comin out next Tuesday. I hope that will get me to feelin like workin on the boat again.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Buzz,

You're makin progress. I know what you mean about the health issues. My Gall Bladder is comin out next Tuesday. I hope that will get me to feelin like workin on the boat again.

Good luck! Doesn't sound like a good time.

Finally got the timing belt in, although I am pretty certain I screwed up the timing doing it.

Third coat of paint is on. One more.

Also finished the windscreen. Bought a big sheet of plexi (Lexan was $$$) from Home Depot and cut it last night. Looks fantastic. So far two of my biggest expenses have been fixing my own stupidity (ripped timing belt, destroyed old windscreen with paint stripper).

rs4wva.jpg

I now have an antenna base - I will probably install it in back. Have to do the impeller still and then give the motor another solid trial before I hit the water.

Bottom

Cadet

Just read this thread, any updates?

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just read this thread, any updates?

She's been sitting in the garage all winter while my poor Jeep sucks it up in the snow and cold. I am going to start working on her again soon :D

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing is FINALLY set after the new belt.

Now my primer bulb is DOA. It seems to be bulb-isolated because the tank pickup is clear and no gas is getting to the motor-end, even with the check-valve removed. Got one on order.

Started wet-sanding.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Primer bulb is NOT the problem. Something must be stuck in the pickup that I can't see.

1000 grit wet sanding is done. 1500 next.

Bilge outlet drilled in the hole and through-hull fitting installed. Started wiring bilge pump.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bilge pump is installed, wired and tested OK. Pumps great.

Motor is finally running well, let it go for about 20 minutes on muffs today. Leaking gas in a fuel inlet though. My original Merc tach is dead :/ I suppose the speedo is as well.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still focusing on motor. It's running great, but puking gas out the middle carb, so I am installing a new needle valve. While I am at it I am rebuilding a couple fuel lines that are (eek) original.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3169dp1.jpg

Starting to look like a real motor. Need my decals.

Got the needle valve replaced, the old one was stuck firm. However, the carb tower gasket ripped all to pieces and Permatex didn't hold. It's pouring gas out the tower now and barely runs. And since I can't buy the gasket I have to buy an entire rebuild kit. AAAAAAAGH

Also "finally" fixed my steering. Either I was missing the bolts (I don't recall seeing them) or I misplaced them, but they finally showed up from UFlex so I undid the helm again and re-installed and properly locked the cable in.

In the meantime I still need recommendations for removing ancient scotch tape from my rub rail and aluminum trim. In a moment of desperation last year I masked with this crap and now it's really on there. WD-40 and Goo Gone with a Scotch Brite pad have not worked well. I might try a stronger abrasive on a Dremel or my rotary tool.

The lesson in all this is don't work on your boat when you're recovering from a traumatic brain injury. True story.

Dave