1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1968 Thunderbird and 1972 Mercury 1400 project

hwfzwh.jpg

Nice seats huh? :eek:

Here's the interior, basically empty for now. Screw holes have been patched with M-tex, waiting one more day to let it cure. The bigger holes will be patched with something else.

Ordered a steering gear and a new wheel today. Ordered shiny new cleats too.

Those holes on the "curve" of the dash are all from switches the PO installed. Whatever is not filled will be removed because I'm just going with a four gang switch panel where the two factory switches used to be. Nav lights, interior lights, bilge, and a leftover eventually for radios.

I want to repaint the MerControl box, which will be easy, but I can't believe no one sells a repro decal.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

- started Dremeling/sanding off MTex patches
- started sanding topside/interior
- removed the chocks/bow light
- fixed gas tank plumbing
- started installing new steering gear

Things I SHOULD have done:
- worn a mask. I woke up coughing and my throat hurts this morning. I'll remember to wear protection next time.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anybody install a Uflex? The instructions that came with mine are HORRIBLE. I mean, truly bad. I have figured most of it out, bit how much of the cable should "feed" through the helm and come out the bottom hole? How on earth does the plastic protective strip supposed to stay on?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just installed one and yes the instructions are incredibly bad. I just fed the cable in till it sucked the connector up into the socket and then I torqued it down. I didn't have any issue sticking the plastic tube in either and torquing that down.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just installed one and yes the instructions are incredibly bad. I just fed the cable in till it sucked the connector up into the socket and then I torqued it down. I didn't have any issue sticking the plastic tube in either and torquing that down.

Thanks for the reply. When you say you torqued it down, do you mean you just attached the helm to the dash/bracket? Same comment with the tube - or did you actually loosen the helm and feed the tube into it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This is tuffy to try to explain with words. The helm was 100% installed and tightened into the dash. I fed the cable into the helm and kept turning the wheel until it pulled all of it in. I don't remember how much was sticking out of the other side after that. As you know, there's a metal collar on the end of the black tube part that has to go securely into the helm and be locked in place by a bolt. I'm thinking the plastic tube also had a collar on it and was locked in place similarly.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Got it tightened up on the motor end and "hand fitted" at the helm. I have to make the existing hole a wee bit bigger.

Also, more progress:

- started stripping outboard of paint (OUCH, it BURNS)
- ordered Merc steering arm
- ordered a much better vintage bow light with a built in flag pole mount. The one I already bought is laughably small and will be re-ebayed.
- shiny new cleats arrived

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not happy with the way the paint is coming out. LOTS of orange peel on the top. I started cutting it down with 400 wet this morning. Probably end up taking most of the paint back off. The big cowl surround is in primer.

I almost like this better in bare metal.

2qnur6r.jpg

szx08k.jpg

2d2avkz.jpg

Uflex is in as of this morning, just needed to trim the hole out a bit with the dremel. Steering arm is in the mail and on its way. Next step is to finish removing the cleats and the windshield so that I can get the topside sanding done.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been a while since I updated this. Got a nasty sinus infection from sanding w/o a mask (for only about 10 minutes). Just as I was getting over that I got meningitis which laid me out for a good 8 days :(

Anyway, steering is now 100% complete. Got a nice NOS Perko bow light with a hole for a flagpole on Ebay.

Started stripping/priming lower unit today. It had 5-6 coats on it and someone even painted over a barnacle (!).

Removed rusted-in-place disintegrating pole holders with about 5 cut off wheels.

Removed ancient car antenna someone had installed for the radio.

Filled in some bigger holes (example: giant radio hole in pic above) and touched up some smaller ones for sanding.

Touched up a couple deeper scratches in the hull.

Snugged up the wiring and cables going down the side.

Next up is to remove the windscreen and finish upper deck sanding.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm almost totally done filling the holes/scratches on the topside and interior. I thought I was done then went around and wiped the whole thing down with a wet towel, which made some smaller imperfections show up under the lights. I'm down to one pair of old switch holes to finish (in a round corner of the dash...ugh).

Lesson learned: don't slop the Bondo fiberglass around when patching holes. It's HARD and is a PITA to remove.

Ordered Rustoleum white and primer today, hopefully it arrives before the weekend. Got a stock of wire so that I can start junking the functional-but-old wiring now in it in the meantime.

Finally got the old/disintegrating cleats off when I remembered my DeWalt cutting wheel. Zip zip zip and they were history. I had nightmares of dozens of Dremel wheels. New hardware will go on after paint.

ve1yt1.jpg

288yt5j.jpg

The rod holders were cut out with a Dremel because they were rusted/falling apart. I will put new ones in, so I left the holes. There's also some holes near the holders (patched) where someone had steps. I'll replace those with some Perko steps to cover the holes. One problem I've had is that so much of the deck is textured, and it is very hard to patch the holes without it being obvious.

With all my tools off the sides it's starting to resemble a boat :D

Also gave the Merc a run on the muffs the other day after sitting for a few weeks. After I remembered to prime it :p it fired right up, which makes me happy, since cold starts are apparently a bear on these bad boys.

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's been a rough few weeks. I am still not over meningitis, the heat really kills me, and now my wife has it. And we have two little girls, so we're both just worn out. Anyway, I was able to get some stuff done.

13z8je9.jpg

- Topside hole/scratch filling is done.
- Rustoleum should be here today.
- Started sanding the hull.
- Windscreen removed so I could sand that portion of the topside.
- Started cleaning bow area...this has been a pain. It's incredibly hot and there is no air in there and I am a big guy...not comfortable. Nothing bad, just ancient wasp nests/spiderwebs/leaves.
- Gave the whole thing a rinse - it will get one more hand-sanding application with one of those flexible blocks to get in between the texturing prior to paint.
- Looks like I'm getting a fantastic huge dual trumpet horn for it off craigslist :D
- Got an older but IMMACULATE Garmin VHF radio and antenna off ebay which I will install after paint.

I could use some advice, though:

1. The hull is in pretty good shape, as is the faded but original paint. I am going over it with 120 on an old orbital sander. I am not getting into the fiberglass, and not even through the paint (on purpose). I am, however, trying to ensure that the paint is universally scored/sanded to take the primer. Does that sound reasonable or should I hit it harder/again with 100 grit?

2. When I install the bilge pump, how high can I install the through-the-hull fitting for the outlet? The reason I ask is that there is a mystery hole already present about 6 inches above transom level, and since it's there I'd like to just make it bigger and use it. That would make it about 2 feet above pump level.

Gracias,

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick bit of advice...if you take off your windscreen and leave it on the floor near your boat, DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT - use Aircraft Stripper from a sprayer near it :mad: I ruined the front plexi last night. It has deep "burn/melt" spots all over it. Oh well, time to upgrade to Lexan.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Feeling better so I have been back in the garage.

First, quick vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2wJOxQnFQ

Topside is primed - two coats - and I have been sanding like a fiend. I estimate that I have probably 50 hours from since I first got the boat to now in sanding - either in repairs, prep for paint, or now post-primer.

The compartment in the bow has been primed with Killz (some vintage mold in the fibers, which I tried to kill/control with some strong cleaner). My kids helped with this :D Tonight they're going to paint the interior sides while I do the floor of the bow.

Have also been working at the antifouling here and there with stripper/scraper. What a PAIN.

Last edited:

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been a rough time with the HOT weather and my health. Anyway, I had been working and re-working and touching up the primer over and over and eventually figured I had best **** or get off the pot, if you know what I mean. You can get too distracted and get caught up in just about any aspect of a project.

Per Rustoleum instructions I washed the surface with ammonia and water, let it dry, wiped it off, re-taped it, and painted today. (I took my kids fishing along the Potomac at Leesyvlania State Park today...there is a popular boat ramp and it was torture to see everyone on the water!) Since it was just over 90 I thinned slightly so it would not dry too fast.

2r70cye.jpg

First coat looks pretty good to me. I was surprised at how it flows...I can see sanding marks under it. I figure the textured areas will get 2 or 3 coats and the flat areas will get 3 or 4, depending.

Dave

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3rd coat is on. Sanded with 320 after second coat to take down some high spots. Any advice/experience with the # of coats used topside with Rustoleum?

Interior is getting there, primered and/or painted in most places.

Building a small pile of blocks/wires for when I tear into the wiring. Saving that for rainy days.

Stopped into Lowes this AM to get Penetrol and supplies and was informed that the no longer will get Rustoleum Marine - not even special order :mad:

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fourth coat is done topside. I've had enough with it so that's considered done. I used Penetrol on this last coat, which was probably necessary because it was around 90 degrees when I finished.

Interior paint is almost done. Need to hit the bilge and under the bow with a final coat.

Started re-wiring this weekend. Installed AFI horn compressor and a couple 8 gang terminal blocks. This morning I installed the gauges and started re-doing the wiring.

1440cb4.jpg

I have a new fused switch panel coming which will hopefully fill the space now taken by the old horn/light/bilge switch holes to the right of the wheel.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

-Seachoice 4 gang switch panel installed

-AFI dual horn installed; compressor is mounted behind dash

-anchor light installed and wired

-started installing cleats

-been sanding/scraping antifouling off bottom day after day after day...my original plan was to totally remove it and go all red with the hull. But I don't know if I have the energy and patience to get to that point. I'm spending HOURS getting that garbage off. I think I have to mockup a white/red/black paint scheme in Photoshop...thinking about just putting black antifouling on it. :redface:

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

- ordered an impeller for the Merc and a cig. lighter/chart light from iboats

- also going to wire in a led installed in the gauge cluster area that will go to the switched positive wire out of the Mercontrol box. Originally this was wired so that when the switch was on, the instruments were illuminated. There is no need for that, and I'd prefer a low-draw led to assure me that power is reaching the box.

- experimented with Easy-Off on the antifouling this morning. All I can say is that it is a MIRACLE. I did more in 25 minutes this AM than I have accomplished in three days of sanding and scraping. AMAZING. I have previously used it to remove cosmoline from surplus rifles and I forgot all about it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I like your project. You are doing some fine work. Paint is looking good. Oven Off is kool but be careful with the fumes. YOu don't need any more issue with your lungs.

Keep on Keepin on!!!:D

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I like your project. You are doing some fine work. Paint is looking good. Oven Off is kool but be careful with the fumes. YOu don't need any more issue with your lungs.

Keep on Keepin on!!!:D

Thank you. It's been a little hard feeling so run down...and it can be overwhelming staring at this thing filling up most of the garage surrounded by dust and tools and paint...

Anyway, more progress with Easy-Off:

1khn4.jpg

Hoping to finish antifouling removal this week and start patching the scratches in the glass this weekend.

Here's the switch panel in:

er0lk2.jpg