1968 StarCraft Holiday restoration

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking you may have had an older dog eared prop that came on the 4cyl motors of the era but that one does have some cupping but the rake is pretty tame.

The pic is of a Turning Point Hustler, a good priced AL prop that has all the SS features, substantial cupping, aggressive rake and hub venting. The rake is so that I had to alter the trim tab anode with a belt sander LOL. It's a 19p on my SS with the 115HP, the Chief I have a Quicksilver Black Diamond but it's like a 23 or 24p.

View attachment 370610
Thanks, this is exactly the type of info I was hoping for. I'll pick up one of these and report back.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ordered the Turning Point Hustler and was surprised is arrived the very next day. I installed it but was not able to get back out on the water until the other day. out of the hole, It felt identical to the old prop however I still noticed the same thing where there just wasn't anything after 4500. the really odd thing was it felt slower, much slower. I used my GPS and was averaging 30 mph at 4800 which was around 8-9 mph loss and 33% slip. since I cannot control the depth of the drive in the water I guess I am limited in what I can do about the slip. Anyone have thoughts on this?

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't really been on iBoats much in the last year or two, just getting caught up on your build.

Outstanding! This is definitely one of the best builds I've seen on here!

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I haven't really been on iBoats much in the last year or two, just getting caught up on your build.

Outstanding! This is definitely one of the best builds I've seen on here!
Thank you sir. I have put an incredible amount of love into this old girl.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am at a complete loss for words right now. Totally devastated. 😔

Attachments

• PXL_20230227_192336517.jpg
    PXL_20230227_192336517.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do not know the full extent of the damage. Honestly I can't even look at it right now....

Attachments

• PXL_20230227_192348748.jpg
    PXL_20230227_192348748.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Insult to injury, I just rebuilt that snowmobile trailer in the background and was supposed to be going north next weekend. That was taken out too....

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
That is heart breaking. Let your mind clear before digging in. If the hull isnt punctured or folded she may be salvageable, but that looks like a hard hit. Sorry to see that happen. Cant imagine how you’re feeling. Will pray for the best.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is heart breaking. Let your mind clear before digging in. If the hull isnt punctured or folded she may be salvageable, but that looks like a hard hit. Sorry to see that happen. Cant imagine how you’re feeling. Will pray for the best.
Thanks Moserkr. There probably aren't too many people that would understand what I'm going through outside of this group.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
After getting the tree pulled out it pretty clear that its a complete loss. The underside is badly buckled and the hull has a pretty severe twist now. not sure what to do at the point.

Attachments

• GOPR0024-scaled.jpg
    GOPR0024-scaled.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR0026-scaled.jpg
    GOPR0026-scaled.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR0031-scaled.jpg
    GOPR0031-scaled.jpg
    774.1 KB · Views: 29
  • GOPR0035-scaled.jpg
    GOPR0035-scaled.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 28

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm so sorry to see these pics. What an incredible shame after all that work.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
She was a beautiful boat and will be remembered. Your kids faces say it all too. Sad to see that the damage is beyond repair. That twist is bad and I can only imagine how bad the bottom looks from being pinned to the trailer. Looks like the motor was saved by the cross beam along the transom that snapped.

Going forward, I would be looking for a new hull in good shape. The amount of time you put into her is irreplaceable, but so much work is already done and could be transferred. Was it insured? That would help offset the cost to rebuild but either way, thats what my plan would be. If I didnt live across the country, Id gladly help you as would many other guys on the forum.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
She was a beautiful boat and will be remembered. Your kids faces say it all too. Sad to see that the damage is beyond repair. That twist is bad and I can only imagine how bad the bottom looks from being pinned to the trailer. Looks like the motor was saved by the cross beam along the transom that snapped.

Going forward, I would be looking for a new hull in good shape. The amount of time you put into her is irreplaceable, but so much work is already done and could be transferred. Was it insured? That would help offset the cost to rebuild but either way, thats what my plan would be. If I didnt live across the country, Id gladly help you as would many other guys on the forum.
I think you are right. I'm going to take my time and find the best hull I can. hopefully I can find one that has been stowed away in a barn most of its life and little to no dings. Its still going to be a tremendous amount of work.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Talk about a crying shame, makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach to see the pics and knowing how much hard work as well as heart that went into your holly. 😢