1967 Starcraft 15' Jet Star Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

barato2

Commander
Re: 1967 Starcraft 15' Jet Star Restoration

them spray guns and welders are addictive...learn to use one and next thing you know, yer welding up all sorts of handy projects and painting everything that doesn't move (the dog better look lively if he doesn't want a flame job....) ;)

but yeah, that makes sense. pics are limited in showing stuff like runs/orange peel/fisheyes/adhesion issues or really any paint problems. and glad you're redoing the work and bringing boat back to her orig glory.

bananaboater

Ensign

Ok so I have another Question. I've been doing some thinking and i would really like to change the seating setup from the back to back seats to two individual seats up front and a bench seat in the back on some sort of box with a door on the front for access to the gas tanks and battery. Has anyone else done this, or something like this?

I did something similar using the two original seat boards the Jet has. You might need to do a bit more to get there but it should be easy. I bought 2 seats and a bench seat that were not cheap but not too expensive either. At least not 2 years ago. Some folks have scored well on seats on that east bay site. I took a piece of my Deco Dot vinyl and cut it to shape to fit across the stern and attached it to the front edge of the splash well with an aluminum bar pop riveted to the splash well. Worked out pretty well but I have no pics of it. It is like a top mounted curtain.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bananaboater - i looked at some of your pics and i like the look of the bench seat. I was thinking about putting it on a sort of box though with a sort of door on the front i could slide the gas tanks out of, and mount a couple of speakers to. But its good to see someone else has thought of the same sort of thing. thanks.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I finally started stripping the paint off the boat with the help of my girlfriend. It took us probably a total of 4 hours. We painted on a coat of aircraft paint stripper we bought at autozone. It's some strong stuff, if you get it on your skin it really burns. Then scraped the paint off with a metal trowel type thingy, then sprayed it down with a pressure washer. It worked pretty good but i'll still have to do quite a bit of sanding to get it ready for paint. Heres a couple of before after pics.

2012-06-10 10.46.10.jpg2012-06-10 10.49.45.jpg2012-06-10 19.47.09.jpg2012-06-10 19.47.20.jpg2012-06-09 10.42.52.jpg

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also took some pics of my new sanding / paint booth, should work fairly well. And for those interested, the silver and red is the metal flake i will be painting the boat with.2012-06-10 14.51.57.jpg2012-06-10 19.48.14.jpg

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally started painting the boat after some serious sanding to remove the leftover paint after the paint stripper.
First i applied a coat of etching primer, I thought it would be gray but it turned out to be brown, so that sucked because it took way more coats of metallic silver to cover it up nicely. After applying a thick coat of the metallic silver i realized the particles in the paint would run and make it look like crap, so i had to spray about 8 really light coats on to keep it from looking crappy and get full coverage of the brown primer.

2012-06-16 13.32.07.jpg2012-06-16 14.16.25.jpg2012-06-16 14.16.39.jpg2012-06-16 16.53.42.jpg2012-06-16 16.53.52.jpg

I also shot 2 coats of silver metal flake mixed with clear just to give it that extra sparkle, then 2 coats of clear over that to seal in the metal flake. (I didn't take any pics yet though)

Next weekend I plan on taping off the flames and and spraying the red metal flake flames, putting 2 coats of clear over them.
Then wet sanding with 600 grit sandpaper, putting on the pinstriping, putting another 1 or 2 coats of clear on, then wetsanding more and final buffing out. I want this thing to look like a hot rod on the water.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that metallic silver makes it looks like a brand new bare alum boat, cool:cool:

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's sweet looking, you better hand out sunglasses to passengers and bystanders alike! LOL

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

cant wait to see the paint when you post some more pics

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is necessary to use the wooden piece that goes on the transom between the motor and the outside of the boat. Is there a purpose for this piece? :confused:

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just trolling through the threads and read about the uflex rotary steering system

http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/UFLEX-ROTECHW09-Rotary-Steering-9-FOOT-Package-w-FREE-STEERING-WHEEL_p_826.html#

I would really like to know more about it. I had a pulley system on my boat that i absolutely hated, i had planned on putting a hydraulic system in, but i realized the cheapest one i could find was nearly $500. so I have some questions.

1. It comes with a wheel, but do i need a new section between the wheel and dash?
2. What else do i need to install it, or is everything included.
3. I don't completly understand how it works ( is it just like an oversized throttle cable?)
4. The length would be how far it has to travel from the steering wheel to the engine?
5. Does anyone have pics of this kind of system installed on their boat?

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey odyssey- nice paint. The piece of wood on the transom is more cosmetic than anything. It just protects the transom skin from scratches when mounting the motor. It adds absolutely no structural strength. Many use a piece of thin aluminum to replace it and looks a lot better over time.

Hydraulic steering is over kill for a 15 footer. Here is a nicely priced Uflex kit with a wheel included.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is necessary to use the wooden piece that goes on the transom between the motor and the outside of the boat. Is there a purpose for this piece? :confused:

Yah, I kinda thing the purpose is to just make for additional thickness and protect the boat some. Many guys omit completely. I happen to like the extra structure but putting wood back there seems like trouble down the road to me. I ran 1/4" alum completely sealed/laminated to the transom skin. Nowhere for water to go and nothing to rot.

I was just trolling through the threads and read about the uflex rotary steering system

http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/UFLEX-ROTECHW09-Rotary-Steering-9-FOOT-Package-w-FREE-STEERING-WHEEL_p_826.html#

I would really like to know more about it. I had a pulley system on my boat that i absolutely hated, i had planned on putting a hydraulic system in, but i realized the cheapest one i could find was nearly $500. so I have some questions.

Yah, pulley system makes no sense to me unless you are doing an actual restoration to vintage original.
1. It comes with a wheel, but do i need a new section between the wheel and dash?[/QUOTE

Nope

2. What else do i need to install it, or is everything included.

Everything is included

3. I don't completly understand how it works ( is it just like an oversized throttle cable?)

Just a big rotary gear is all

4. The length would be how far it has to travel from the steering wheel to the engine?

Yup, plus a little extra to be sure. You can find measuring instructions on their site

5. Does anyone have pics of this kind of system installed on their boat?

Take a gander at my Jet Star thread, that's what I used and was really happy with it.

EDIT: Just was thinking....

If you are going from pulley to rotary you'll need the assembly on the motor side that the steering cable will attach to. I haven't done this so I'm not certain how to put it together. I'm sure one of the other fellas will know what I'm talking about to give ya a hand on that part.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I eliminated it from both my Starcraft restores. Newer aluminum boats don't have it and no fiberglass boats do/did.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok First off thanks for the advise with the uflex kit i'll definetly order that. Also Jasoutside I spent about an hour looking at your thread and only made it through about 20 pages, that's a ton of work. i'll be sure to do some more reading.

ezmobee thanks for the pic luckily i have a newer yamaha motor, so it has that tube. Where would i get the metal arm that goes from the end of the tube to the motor though?

I think i'm gonna make an aluminum motor plate thing thanks for the idea.

Last but not least i finally got some more painting done. My girlfriend and i spent nearly half a day taping off the flames. Then a storm rolled in so we couldn't paint it that night. So we woke up the next morning sprayed on one coat of paint and realized thet the paint was melting the contact paper we had used to take off the majority of the flames. :facepalm: The horrible part is that i had already mixed all of my metal flake in with the paint and added the hardener which only lasts 6 hours once mixed. And we were planning a trip to the lake with my father. So we worked like crazy for the next hour and a half to retape the entire boat with blue painters tape. Luckily we got it done and the results were awesome, in my opinion.

2012-06-23 12.18.49.jpg2012-06-23 19.36.46.jpg2012-06-23 19.37.04.jpg2012-06-24 10.49.15.jpg2012-06-24 10.49.32.jpg

You can kind of see the clear contact paper on the before shot of the hood.
I still have to do the pinstriping on the flames, and put a couple more coats of clear on, and wetsand and polish, so still a lot to do.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot some pics

2012-06-24 10.49.24.jpg2012-06-24 10.49.37.jpg2012-06-23 10.44.50.jpg

You can see on the closeup of the silver part how much wetsanding i have to do, the metal flake is really difficult to work with.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She's lookin' like a hot rod. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.