1967 Starcraft 15' Jet Star Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1967 Starcraft 15' Jet Star Restoration

Trailer tongue weight should be 7 - 10% of the total boat, motor and trailer weight. If not they tend to sway a lot going down the road.

That's good to know, I'm gonna have to really change the setup a bit to get any substantial weight on the tongue.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got to work a little bit on the boat, Got it lettered (not sure if the name is gonna get banned on this site), Polished, got the weight on the trailer centered a bit more. And most importantly... More Pictures!

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice shot of the dash

cleaned up steps

My lifejacket storage system, under bow held in using bungee net

Gas Tanks, bilge and tackle box

Tryin to get a good shot of the metal flake, hard to do though.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot to ask. I now need a good cover, any recommendations? I see the ones they sell some here on iboats, has anyone ever ordered one though? Anyone with a jet star or similar?

dozerII

Admiral

I have been buying the Classic Storm Pro from Walmart, good price, good cover. Your boat looks incredible.

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! You did a terrific job on this boat! It should be ready for another 40+ years in your family.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

After returning two covers and on the third try getting the right one that fit, here's the Taylor Made model I got (1964 Jet Star): 71214. Taylor Made is good about exchanging poor fitting covers for a different size. I don't know if they will do that for custom made ones.

Here's a link V-Hull Runabout Outboard Boat Cover – Trailerite Poly-Cotton Material 13.5 – 14.4ft from Wholesale Marine iboats may have it, but this is a link I had handy.

If you're interested, here's the discussion of my boat cover saga: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...-boat-cover-fits-real-frustration-542305.html. The first one they sent me was recommended by Taylor Made directly, based on specs and photos that I sent them.....they were way off on that one! :D

But #71214 definitely is the one that fits. They claim it's trailerable, but I'm not so sure about that....

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is one of the coolest paint jobs I have seen on any boat and fits that vintage Jet perfectly. Great job on the rest of the boat too. Wish I could help ya on the cover but no experience there yet. Definately got to protect that paint job. BTW LL has never steered me wrong on advice.

dozerII

Admiral

After returning two covers and on the third try getting the right one that fit, here's the Taylor Made model I got (1964 Jet Star): 71214. Taylor Made is good about exchanging poor fitting covers for a different size. I don't know if they will do that for custom made ones.

Here's a link V-Hull Runabout Outboard Boat Cover – Trailerite Poly-Cotton Material 13.5 – 14.4ft from Wholesale Marine iboats may have it, but this is a link I had handy.

If you're interested, here's the discussion of my boat cover saga: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...-boat-cover-fits-real-frustration-542305.html. The first one they sent me was recommended by Taylor Made directly, based on specs and photos that I sent them.....they were way off on that one! :D

But #71214 definitely is the one that fits. They claim it's trailerable, but I'm not so sure about that....

LL I noticed in your photo the cover is right against the windshield frame, what I do to extend the life of the cover is split a couple pool noodles down on side then slip them over your windshield frame to cushion the cover.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

LL I noticed in your photo the cover is right against the windshield frame, what I do to extend the life of the cover is split a couple pool noodles down on side then slip them over your windshield frame to cushion the cover.

I do that too for longer storage periods, but when it's on and off each day, I don't bother with it. I use a piece of left over split foam pipe insulation. You're right, I think that will help the wear prevention significantly. For winter storage, I also put some foam over the stern corner brackets and bow cap.

odyssey, I was up against the clock when I made my post above, but also want to say that your paint job is phenomenal, second to none; also love the dash, very impressive. And your stern arrangement...I was a little more limited there as my '64 has 3 knee braces.

InMotion

Commander

Boat came out awesome man!!! Really like how it all has come together. It'll will be a terrific rig for years to come!

Great work... soooooo.... what's next???!!!!! :)

J.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LakeLover - Thanks for the advise on the cover not a bad price either, will have to order one soon. It looks easy enough to take on and off quickly. I also have a swim platform i'm gonna be putting on back, Do you think that cover will still work?

My stern arrangement worked out well though if I had looked at where things plugged into the motor I probably would have switched the gas tanks with the Battery, but it still works out fine.

And good call on the pool noodles Doser, definitely a must.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is one of the coolest paint jobs I have seen on any boat and fits that vintage Jet perfectly. Great job on the rest of the boat too. Wish I could help ya on the cover but no experience there yet. Definately got to protect that paint job. BTW LL has never steered me wrong on advice.

Thanks, I'm glad to see everyone seems to approve of the paint job in the end, I was a little worried everyone would think it looked tacky.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat came out awesome man!!! Really like how it all has come together. It'll will be a terrific rig for years to come!

Great work... soooooo.... what's next???!!!!! :)

J.

Thanks! As far as whats next probably gonna just enjoy the boat for a bit, Looking at getting my first house so saving all the money I can. Not to dissapoint but I think my next project will be of the 4x4 nature - assuming a large garage with the new house. I've been eyeing the deuce and a half M35A2 military trucks for years.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I hope to never see this boat when I'm driving...

..because I'll probably wreck my vehicle and/or end-up with self-inflicted whiplash!

Unbelievable job!!!

I take it you're still looking for a SS chain steering wheel :lol:

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haven't posted for a while, I just purchased some land with a barn in bad need of restoration, so I'm not getting to use the boat as much as I would like.

I did however get to take her out in the atlantic about a month ago, and she ran perfectly, took the waves great too, One slight issue, just as I started racing another boat, which I had the lead for probably close to 1/4 mile, I ran out of fuel in my main tank, luckily I had another tank but the other boat won the race. :lol:

Couple of pics:

I also got to take her out on a nice flat lake and do a few speed runs with the gps. 35mph steady seems pretty good to me, It feels like I'm doing 40 - 45 . Heres the vid.

The only problem I have had is the prop keeps getting air in it when I hit a wave or go to turn at high speed, I played with the angle of the motor and that helped a little, but it only stays in the water if someone sits in back.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great video, very nice. Can I ask what you're using for a camera? My Jet Star has a similar top speed, they do feel like you're flying!

64osby

Admiral

I think the term is cavitation, any chance you can lower the motor an inch. It may help keep the prop in the water.

jbcurt00

Staff member

This is likely part of the problem causing the prop to ventilate crossing waves & high speed turns:
attachment.php

As the hull rolls into a turn, the other side is lifting out and w/ a flat bottom, the prop is catching some of the air under the hull... Not correctly scaled or dimensioned, but kind of shows you what I meant:
Flatbottom_zps488fdba3.jpg

You can't mount the motor lower on the existing transom, so changing the trim angle may have to be sufficient.

It's also called cavitation, as Crosby mentions, and that's what the horizontal fin above the prop is supposed to help prevent, hence the name: anti-ventilation or anti-cavitation plate.

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great video, very nice. Can I ask what you're using for a camera? My Jet Star has a similar top speed, they do feel like you're flying!

The camera is a gopro, I had just got a suction cup mount for it, you can see it starts vibrating at one point then it steadies, I had to grab it to keep it from shaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.