1967 14' V-Hull Aluminum Sea Nymph - To restore or not to restore, if so, how far

RonJon24

Seaman
Hey guys, I recently purchased a 1967 14' V-Hull Sea Nymph Aluminum boat and I am trying to decide if I want to strip her down, clean her up and make her like new again or just leave her a dirty old functional fishing/hunting boat. Right now there is absolutely nothing wrong with her performance so nothing has to be done... I am going to post some pictures in categories.. overall, outside, inside, trailer, transom and I would love to have your input along the way. I have some ideas and just want others thoughts. This would be my first restore, and I think I would enjoy it. Here are some overall pics... I will make a new post for the other categories.

Over all 2.jpgover all 3.jpgover all 5.jpgOverall 1.jpg

RonJon24

Seaman
Re: 1967 14' V-Hull Aluminum Sea Nymph - To restore or not to restore, if so, how far

Here is the transom... I am pretty sure it needs to be replaced but not sure how to begin... I guess just drill the bolts and insert a new piece. That sounds simple! I am sure it is not that easy!

transom 2.jpgTransom 3.jpgtransom 4.jpgtransom 5.jpg

RonJon24

Seaman
Re: 1967 14' V-Hull Aluminum Sea Nymph - To restore or not to restore, if so, how far

Here is a look at the inside... right now it has that cheap gritty spray paint with sand or texture in it... its not that bad, but already rubbing off. I had considered bed liner but was advised not too. What about the Gluvit? Is that right... what options do I have? I also considered marine carpeting but was also advised not to. I don't think I really want to install a level floor. Also, what can I do about better seating... any ideas? I'd like to have a non-skid surface that is durable, easy to clean, and is cool in the winter time. Also that doesn't add a lot of weight to the boat.

I also considered a bimini top for sun shade. I saw a little boat with one and it was kinda cool.

Inside 1.jpgInside 2.jpgID Decal.jpgOverall 1.jpg

RonJon24

Seaman

Here is the outside the boat... I could leave it be or strip and down and shine up the aluminum and or paint it one or multi-color. Do you think I could ever get all the paint off to leave it bare metal? If I coat it, what will help waterproof it, be durable, and light... and also make it look like a beauty? I know there are strict policies to stripping, prepping, priming and painting aluminum.

Outside 1.jpgover all 3.jpgTrailer 5.jpg

RonJon24

Seaman

Finally, here is the trailer... the trailer is one of the things i liked most when I bought the boat... because it was so light and easy to move the boat around by hand anywhere in the yard... I am coming to think its not that the trailer is so good or well made, but also that its just so light. I am wondering if I should try and switch to a galvanized trailer? Also the trailer sticks a little unloading and isn't the easiest to load the boat on... might need some adjusting.

Trailer 1.jpgTrailer 2.jpgTrailer 3.jpgTrailer 4.jpgTrailer 5.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That would be worth fixing up. I don't think the transom would be to hard to replace. That is an AWESOME motor that's on there.

RonJon24

Seaman

My last post before I listen. This is my first boat. It is bone dry on the lake and I really liked it because it was wide and deep for a 14' aluminum boat and that makes it safe for my kids. We do a lot of camping on small lakes and rivers and this boat is perfect for that. It is very functional now. It needs nothing, but I wonder what would make this boat even more of a pleasure in function and beauty. Typically it would carry myself, my 5 year old boy, my 7 year old girl, and my wife. I want to keep the boat clean, comfortable, light, dry, and looking good. I also need a way to mount the side wall trolling motor because there is no room for it on the transom with the gas motor mounted. I am a little worried about stripper getting all this old paint off, about prepping, priming and painting. I don't know which products are best. Please advise.

thanks

RonJon24

Seaman

thanks boatnut74. I would love to hear what you would do to the boat. As far as the motor, I have heard that and i have enjoyed that motor the 3 or so times I had it out. I bought the boat with a 7.5 1973 Mercury and after a complete overhaul the engine ran great but only pushed the boat 7 or 8 mph. I sold that motor and bought this Yamaha 15 which pushed her 23mph. I am also using the tiny tach to see if I can put a prop on her to speed up a little more.

RonJon24

Seaman

id love to hear anyones thoughts ideas and suggestions... some help on why I am not getting any opinions?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey ron, welcome to iboats! The first thing I noticed is that sweet Yamaha 15, nice!

OK, question...

What do you need more? Whatcha need most out of the boat?

Hunting, bang up type, haul around, get dirty, hose it down sorta boat?

Or, a nice comfortable, clean lookin, motor around fishin sorta deal?

Cheers man:)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That is a sweet tinny and is the perfect first boat.

I would do a few things to that boat, but it doesn't need a lot.

I'd replace the transom first for sure.

The paint is fugly, but doesn't look to be in that bad of shape and it looks like a fairly decent spray job. I wouldn't worry about stripping it all the way down. You can just give the outside a good hand sanding with a 150-180 grit to remove oxidation and roughen it up for a top coat.

The inside I would sand that grit junk off from the tops of the gunwales down to the floor/deck seam and off of the benches. I'd repaint with a durable marine paint like Rustoleum topside paint from the tops of the gunwales down to the deck seam. I'd probably wrap the benches with Nautolex marine vinyl and install plywood "bench top" wrapped in the same vinyl. I'd install swivel seat mounts to the bench tops and buy 4 nice comfortable swivel seats. I'd enclose the small bow area in front of the bow bench with a small deck and hatch cover for storage. Install 4 nice rod holders and a fishfinder and you're all set.

RonJon24

Seaman

Thanks jigngrub and jasoutside!

Maybe I over posted and scared folks off with the questions and details. I really appreciate your responses.

As far as what I need most. My brother has a go devil boat with blinds and everything for hunting, so I would honestly go with him for duck hunting, etc.

My family camps a lot on smaller lakes. We also have access to some electric only fishing lakes and some larger lakes. I would like to have a nice boat to enjoy with my kids and learn boating. My kids are a 5 year old little boy and a 7 year old little girl. As they get a little older, and I learn a little more about boating, I want to keep this, and add a nice fish/tube/party type boat to hit the lake with. For this boat, I want a nice clean comfortable boat.

My main priorities....

Stripping, priming and painting. I've been told not to go all the way down, but I am not sure I can trust the paint underneath to hold well. I want a cool easy to clean non-skid surface that is very durable and light. I've been told not to use spray in Bedliner, so what are the best options?

What should I do with seating, leave as is? Floor, leave as is? Carpet?

Soukd I install running lights or use clip ons?

There is a soft spot on the transom, replace it? What with?

Do I need a galvanized trailer?

I feel I could leave the boat as is, and it's fine, but is it worth this work to have a nicer looking boat? She doesn't leak a drop and performs well.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Stripping, priming and painting. I've been told not to go all the way down, but I am not sure I can trust the paint underneath to hold well. I want a cool easy to clean non-skid surface that is very durable and light. I've been told not to use spray in Bedliner, so what are the best options?...If you think the paint will peel on you then strip it down. Pray in bed liner on the hull is a PITA if you need to make a repair to your boat.

What should I do with seating, leave as is? Floor, leave as is? Carpet? ... there are more comfortable seating options.

Soukd I install running lights or use clip ons? ... how much do you intend to use this boat after dark?

There is a soft spot on the transom, replace it? What with? Replace it now! Use exterior grade veneered plywood (not that cheap OSB junk)

Do I need a galvanized trailer? ... you really only need a galv trailer if you plan to use your boat in salt or brackish water.

I feel I could leave the boat as is, and it's fine, but is it worth this work to have a nicer looking boat? She doesn't leak a drop and performs well.

Keep us updated on whatever you do and we'll be glad to help if you need it.

Just remember, this is your boat and you can fix it up any way you want. If you want to strip all the paint off, strip it! If you want to spray bedliner on the inside of the hull, spray it.

RonJon24

Seaman

What options should I consider for the floor and inside hull? I agree Bedliner can be hot, hard to clean, and difficult to deal with. What do people tend to use?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

If you want to put a deck in, it wouldn't be that hard to put down some 1/4" plywood and rivet it to the ribs. The 1/4" will form pretty easily to the contour of the floor. As for paint, if the paint that is on there is adhered good still, I would rough it up with some sandpaper, prime and paint with some rustoleum. The transom is probably two 3/4" pieces of ply laminated together. I would go ahead and replace it, They are really easy in these aluminum boats.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

With that sweet outboard you have on the back, ya, I'd do up the boat to be a good looker too:cool:

RonJon24

Seaman

What would you do jasoutside? Advice or recommendations. I am most torn over the floor

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Given your dimensions, I believe I'd be leaning towards not decking that boat, eh.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Nice boat! We have a nearly identical Sea Nymph (a '68, I believe) that I just bought to replace our previous utility boat (also a 14' Sea Nymph). Our new boat doesn't have the lovely paint scheme that you do, but ours has its own signs of wear and customizations.

Once we get it up to our lake, it will serve as a utility boat to get across a lake to our cabin, and it also serves as our fishing boat when we go out. Since we don't worry too much about looks with this boat and its predecessor, we've cut pieces of masonite that lay on the floor between seats. (Once the masonite gets a bit damp, it conforms to the hull's shape nicely.) The masonite is a nice, non-skid surface that deadens the noise a bit, and it doesn't hold dirt, worm guts, etc., the way outdoor carpeting would. It works well, it isn't too ugly, and best of all, it's cheap.

Have fun with your Sea Nymph!

irishmedic6

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to I-Boats. I love this site. It has been a while since I posted on my own thread, so I need to update that as well. I wouldn't close in the bow for storage...I was the youngest of 3 boys and my father had an old 14' Cadillac (there is a boat name you don't hear much anymore). I remember my favorite place to sit on the boat was in the front, the gunwhales were close enough for my little arms to reach and it felt GREAT! With the 4 of you in the boat, especially fishing it's nice to have roomy comfortable seating. Figure you will probably have the fuel and batter in the back, any electronics I would rig from the rear seat brace so you can see it easily while running the tiller, then your wife and one child in the middle seat, and the front open for the other.
I agree with the others, I would start out by sanding out the rough spots and see what you have, if you have any parts flaking or cracking, use ur finger and peal at it. If it doesn't come right off, pretty good chance it adhered to the aluminum like it was supposed to. If it comes off to the bare aluminum easily, I would go ahead and strip it.
The inside I would also clean up and redo. You won't need a lot of storage space, because everything you will be using will be out. PFD's will be on, the paddle can fit under the braces, your poles will be used or in the pole holders, and your tackle you will want close as well. I would consider making little boxes under the seats for your anchors, lines, etc.
I think you are fine with the trailer, if you aren't in salt water it should be fine. Just remember you can't neglect the hubs, keep them greased and check them routinely (depending how much you drive them, my father in Michigan, checks them at beginning of the season, and squirts added grease before winter). The trailer he had for the cadillace was 40 years old, before my brother sold it after he got the boat.
Check out a lot of the other threads on here.....there a millions of ideas. Have you checked out what Jasoutside did with his jet star? Amazing! The most important thing to remember is....It is YOUR boat, nothing is wrong as long as it's what you want. If you want to deck it, look for different ways to deck it, if you want to build a livewell for it, there is a thread for that too. Best thing is, if you have a question on how to do something or ideas on how to wire something, JUST ASK....we read each other's threads and pass on knowledge....Jas (sorry for picking on you) also showed us a very "out of the box" way of adding floatation to our boats to keep costs low.
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.