1966 Starcraft Holiday Interior Work

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I've been waiting on a couple new trim pieces (should be in later this week). In the meantime, I've been getting some of that new 316 SS hardware installed. I cut some 3/4 marine ply and backed my forward cleats with it. I've been wanting to do that, but the side panels were in the way. They should be anchored nicely now though.

Also, I've been talking to Plasdeck. It's the same company that makes my composite swim platform (Plasteak). I'm going through the process of having a custom mat made for the boat. I think it'll look sharp and it will be a nice surface for the kids to climb onto when they board from tubing/skiing/swimming. The process: They send me a clear piece to mark up with what I want, I mail it back, they digitize it, we discuss, then they make the mat.
I’m thinking of doing the tops of my gunnels with nautolex also. What you’ve done looks amazing. Any chance you can show a photo of how you tackled the seams? Did you put a piece of trim over them etc?

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I’m thinking of doing the tops of my gunnels with nautolex also. What you’ve done looks amazing. Any chance you can show a photo of how you tackled the seams? Did you put a piece of trim over them etc?
Thanks Shoestring! I used marideck vinyl flooring, which I believe is basically the same thing as Nautolex. I chose the marideck because I wanted it done in white, and I couldn't find where Nautolex is made in white. I can't take credit for the work. I bought a roll of the flooring I wanted on eBay and had a shop do it. I probably could have done it, but I don't have a heated garage and with everything I'm trying to get done before the summer, I don't really have the time either.

I have it so my pieces on the gunnels are mostly framed in with the aluminum trim and the windshield. There are a couple small "open" edges that I'm going to keep my eye on and have trim pieces made if they start peeling. Mine was done in two pieces that resulted in a seam on each gunnel. There is a technique for doing the seam but I don't know what it is, sorry. Had I tackled this project, Youtube would have been my buddy for stuff like that. Also I would/will look into some sort of very thin, white UV resistant composite or aluminum trim to bridge the seam(s).

One more note on seams. The size of your boat and color can make a difference. Marideck (don't know about other brands) sells different colors, in different size rolls. Had I gotten a different color, it could have been done in one sheet, no seams necessary, because the rolls in some of the other colors is bigger, or if my boat were smaller, it could have been done in one sheet too.

One more note on seams after the one more note on seams. My two seams are about 3 inches, they are in a spot that shouldn't ever be stepped on and they are framed in by the trim and my windshield. I think they are going to be fine. I will find some discreet white trim to go over them with, if there any issues.

I got my new bottom trim pieces, and a new aft cowl vent, and installed them yesterday. Taking her to the shop to have the sides rebuilt. My custom mat is finalized and being made too. They're saying mid-May for that.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Shoestring! I used marideck vinyl flooring, which I believe is basically the same thing as Nautolex. I chose the marideck because I wanted it done in white, and I couldn't find where Nautolex is made in white. I can't take credit for the work. I bought a roll of the flooring I wanted on eBay and had a shop do it. I probably could have done it, but I don't have a heated garage and with everything I'm trying to get done before the summer, I don't really have the time either.

I have it so my pieces on the gunnels are mostly framed in with the aluminum trim and the windshield. There are a couple small "open" edges that I'm going to keep my eye on and have trim pieces made if they start peeling. Mine was done in two pieces that resulted in a seam on each gunnel. There is a technique for doing the seam but I don't know what it is, sorry. Had I tackled this project, Youtube would have been my buddy for stuff like that. Also I would/will look into some sort of very thin, white UV resistant composite or aluminum trim to bridge the seam(s).

One more note on seams. The size of your boat and color can make a difference. Marideck (don't know about other brands) sells different colors, in different size rolls. Had I gotten a different color, it could have been done in one sheet, no seams necessary, because the rolls in some of the other colors is bigger, or if my boat were smaller, it could have been done in one sheet too.

One more note on seams after the one more note on seams. My two seams are about 3 inches, they are in a spot that shouldn't ever be stepped on and they are framed in by the trim and my windshield. I think they are going to be fine. I will find some discreet white trim to go over them with, if there any issues.

I got my new bottom trim pieces, and a new aft cowl vent, and installed them yesterday. Taking her to the shop to have the sides rebuilt. My custom mat is finalized and being made too. They're saying mid-May for that.
Excellent. Thank you very much 66. Looks like they butt the seams together. I bought the nautolex brand, there was a significant price difference.

And it may appear that the Marideck is thicker. They’ve done quite a nice job with it. I wasn’t aware it was available in white, but it certainly suits the purpose on your boat with your colour scheme.

I think I may have just enough offcuts along the side of my roll to do the top of my gunnels. The last paint upkeep I have to do, the better. and this is a high wear & tear area.

If you don’t mind, can I ask how they handled the aluminum seam and solid rivets where The curved area of your bow gunnel meets the straight section? (see photo)
I’m assuming you have the same thing. Just wondering if they went over the rivets or removed and replaced after your Marideck was installed. Or is this where your seam currently is? I see a pop rivet.

Attachments

• D839FD7B-84D6-4A42-9168-68F254EA3FDE.jpeg
    D839FD7B-84D6-4A42-9168-68F254EA3FDE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
If you don’t mind, can I ask how they handled the aluminum seam and solid rivets where The curved area of your bow gunnel meets the straight section? (see photo)
I’m assuming you have the same thing. Just wondering if they went over the rivets or removed and replaced after your Marideck was installed. Or is this where your seam currently is? I see a pop rivet.

I think they matched the seams in the for the flooring with the seams for the metal. I'm pretty sure that seam is where the metal comes together too. Then they replaced the rivet as in the pictures.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I reinstalled my new back bench and took it to the shop to have the side panels built. This is the first time I saw the bench installed with the newly covered transom cap. I think it looks sharp. Can't wait to see it with the sides installed. I should get it back in about a month or so. The sides will be installed with my stereo speaker wires hanging out of the holes for my speakers with the custom starboard speaker bezels installed.

I should get my custom mat sometime in May, they said it could end up being sooner but that's the estimate for now.

Speaking of time estimates, I was just told that I realistically won't see the F250 I told you I ordered in December until June...

Attachments

• BEHB7474.JPG
    BEHB7474.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • YDGJ9947.JPG
    YDGJ9947.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 24

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I reinstalled my new back bench and took it to the shop to have the side panels built. This is the first time I saw the bench installed with the newly covered transom cap. I think it looks sharp. Can't wait to see it with the sides installed. I should get it back in about a month or so. The sides will be installed with my stereo speaker wires hanging out of the holes for my speakers with the custom starboard speaker bezels installed.

I should get my custom mat sometime in May, they said it could end up being sooner but that's the estimate for now.

Speaking of time estimates, I was just told that I realistically won't see the F250 I told you I ordered in December until June...
Looks awesome

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander

I keep looking at this. Really, really sharp build.
Are the sleeper seats custom or reupholstered the originals ?

I really do not like the Wyse sleeper seats I bought. They are narrower and less contoured than the original StarCraft seats. I would like to learn how to do marine upholstery and covers.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I keep looking at this. Really, really sharp build.
Are the sleeper seats custom or reupholstered the originals ?

I really do not like the Wyse sleeper seats I bought. They are narrower and less contoured than the original StarCraft seats. I would like to learn how to do marine upholstery and covers.
Thanks! My back-to-back (I think what you're calling sleeper seats) were purchased from Deck-Mate. Then I purchased the matching vinyl from Deck-Mate to have the rear bench built custom.

I like my new back-to-back seats. I remember doing a little homework about the vinyl and it's a pretty decent vinyl they use. They use 316 SS hardware, including the staples I believe, and there is no wood to worry about rotting. The base is composite.

The only thing I don't like about the new seats is that the storage area is not as accessible, so there is a size limit to what can be stored under there. The old seats flipped up and it was wide open. These don't do that. They kind of scissor apart and create a limited sized opening. I had to rethink storage a little, but not big deal really.

You can't beat the price of buying the back-to-back seats prefabbed. I was quoted like $1000 to have the old ones reupholstered.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks! My back-to-back (I think what you're calling sleeper seats) were purchased from Deck-Mate. Then I purchased the matching vinyl from Deck-Mate to have the rear bench built custom.

I like my new back-to-back seats. I remember doing a little homework about the vinyl and it's a pretty decent vinyl they use. They use 316 SS hardware, including the staples I believe, and there is no wood to worry about rotting. The base is composite.

The only thing I don't like about the new seats is that the storage area is not as accessible, so there is a size limit to what can be stored under there. The old seats flipped up and it was wide open. These don't do that. They kind of scissor apart and create a limited sized opening. I had to rethink storage a little, but not big deal really.

You can't beat the price of buying the back-to-back seats prefabbed. I was quoted like $1000 to have the old ones reupholstered.
I thought yours folded down. Hence the sleeper seat term. I didn’t know that they made them as only back to back only option. They’re probably more sturdy that way though. They do look like really good quality. Looks like the vinyl is soft and supple. The Wyse seats are hard like sitting in a 1972 Ford Pinto.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
The vinyl seems to be pretty good quality, and there is a lot of padding but they are firm. They feel like new seats.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
A few months ago I decided I wanted to tinker with an oudrive a little. It's iBoats history from a few pages back in this thread. I bought the boat for $400, removed my drive, scrapped the boat and put some used tires back on the trailer.

Today I sold that trailer. I was asking $650, hoping to get at least $500 for it. He didn't barter with me at all and gave me the full $650. So, I'm up $115 on my outdrive venture.

With the weather starting to warm up, I'll probably crack that thing open soon. No serious plans with it. I just wanted to dissect one, worry free. I might rebuild it.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
They're going to start on my side panels this week, so it shouldn't be too much longer, and my boat will be on the water this year. Meanwhile, they finished my custom mat and I tried that out today. It fits great! I need to widen the hole to fit around the hotrod post a little. I think it looks awesome too. They sent glue and a trowel to glue it down but I don't see the point it's nice and thick and heavy and doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 21

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
It looks better then factory!!!

SHSU

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
It looks better then factory!!!

SHSU
Thanks! I think they did a great job too. Coming along a little more today, just a few loose ends to get wrapped up. I think the trouble to have the custom throttle bezel made was worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG