1966 Larson below deck repairs

new-to-boats

Recruit
Hey there! I know there are multiple threads on this already, but mine looks a little different and I have zero working knowledge regarding boats. I've learned a lot over the past few days doing loads of research and I'm bound and determined to do this myself. But I'm terrified that I'm not going to get the balance right and either be unhappy with the result, or worse, have an unsafe set up.

So I ran across this 1966 Larson stern drive. I didn't even know I wanted a boat, but I. Fell. In. Love. The seller had already removed the bad decking and this is what I'm left to work with. My primary concern is safety. I have no preference regarding restoring the original structure, or going with solid foam. I want it to float and stay level, without the potential to capsize! The two below links are companion posts for a restoration done and I love this idea for the floor. Looks like minimal work, probably relatively cost effective. But. How do I allow for water in the keel, which from what I've read here is critical for proper balance? I feel like there is a critical picture missing between where it was gutted and where the foam was poured.

I can not wait to get this on the water. Floor is step one. These links are also for an outboard, so I have to account for proper support for the motor mount as well. Any and all input is welcome. TIA.

Attachments

• Motor-mount.jpg
    Motor-mount.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230525_085633.jpg
    20230525_085633.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230525_085636.jpg
    20230525_085636.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230525_085644.jpg
    20230525_085644.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8

matt167

Captain
Looks like a cool boat. Requires a total gut and rehab. Re creating the structure you see is probably the best. The way Nautilus did it, is basically a chop shop get it out the door kind of thing. No fiberglass. Single stringer and foam. I’ll work. It’ll look pretty but not for long…you will need to pull engine and outdrive to replace the transom as well.

When you put it back together, do yourself a favor and get a later 3.0L engine and drive. Gen 2 If you can afford it. That 1966 won’t have trim, only trailer position. Parts don’t exist for it anymore. A later 3.0L will add 20-30hp to the same package size of the old 2.5 which was either 110 or 120 horse.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I hope you realize you have a ton of work ahead of you !! I would venture to guess at least a year and several thousand dollars and after your done, it wont be worth ( in dollars) what you put into it !! It will be a labor of love only.... Not trying to burst your bubble, just a small reality check !! If you really want to rebuild a boat, consider an aluminum boat, far less work and a better return on your investment...just a thought !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Don’t think this Model has a wet keel!
What’s her length?

Last edited:

new-to-boats

Recruit

Attachments

• Resized_20230523_160611.jpeg
    Resized_20230523_160611.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230523_165039_Facebook.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230523_165039_Facebook.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 2

new-to-boats

Recruit
I hope you realize you have a ton of work ahead of you !! I would venture to guess at least a year and several thousand dollars and after your done, it wont be worth ( in dollars) what you put into it !! It will be a labor of love only....
I guess she's lucky I love her!! This is definitely not the news I was hoping to hear.
Looks like a cool boat. Requires a total gut and rehab. Re creating the structure you see is probably the best. The way Nautilus did it, is basically a chop shop get it out the door kind of thing. No fiberglass. Single stringer and foam. I’ll work. It’ll look pretty but not for long…you will need to pull engine and outdrive to replace the transom as well.
We are pulling the motor and outdrive today. Transom looks solid so far - no flex at all that I can tell, but I'll know better this afternoon.

I hope I'm not in over my head. But either way, she's gonna be something to be proud of when I'm done with her. It's not something I'd ever really plan to sell so I'm just gonna do my best to put her back together in a way that's usable for us and maybe the kids will keep her up down the road.

I'm excited to get started...just not quite sure how to do that just yet! :) My hobby is woodworking so this is definitely new territory for me. Excited to learn something new though and this seems like the place to do it!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I can not wait to get this on the water. Floor is step one.
actually, you have to fix the stringers, transom and foam before you get to the floor.

as indicated above, you have about a years worth of work.

floors rot out 10-15 years after the transom and stringers

new-to-boats

Recruit
Yeah, pretty sure no wet keel required!
This was a similar project from a few years back...sure wish he would have posted the final pics! But this is where my concern came from.

(Posts #82 and #84 - I can't figure out how to post the "showthread" like some of you guys have done, but I'm guessing this will get you there).

If jigngrub is still around, I'd also like to see if he still has access to the pics from the post that are showing as "unavailable" now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This was a similar project from a few years back...sure wish he would have posted the final pics! But this is where my concern came from.

(Posts #82 and #84 - I can't figure out how to post the "showthread" like some of you guys have done, but I'm guessing this will get you there).

If jigngrub is still around, I'd also like to see if he still has access to the pics from the post that are showing as "unavailable" now.
They are speaking of the foam used below deck

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey there! I know there are multiple threads on this already, but mine looks a little different and I have zero working knowledge regarding boats. I've learned a lot over the past few days doing loads of research and I'm bound and determined to do this myself. But I'm terrified that I'm not going to get the balance right and either be unhappy with the result, or worse, have an unsafe set up.

So I ran across this 1966 Larson stern drive. I didn't even know I wanted a boat, but I. Fell. In. Love. The seller had already removed the bad decking and this is what I'm left to work with. My primary concern is safety. I have no preference regarding restoring the original structure, or going with solid foam. I want it to float and stay level, without the potential to capsize! The two below links are companion posts for a restoration done and I love this idea for the floor. Looks like minimal work, probably relatively cost effective. But. How do I allow for water in the keel, which from what I've read here is critical for proper balance? I feel like there is a critical picture missing between where it was gutted and where the foam was poured.

I can not wait to get this on the water. Floor is step one. These links are also for an outboard, so I have to account for proper support for the motor mount as well. Any and all input is welcome. TIA.

The boat I am still working on, when I can, is my first boat. I felt in over my head at times but thanks to the good folks here I have been able to get her where she's at so far.
I have two points of advice:
1. When in doubt ask!
2. Takes lots of pictures and measurements as you do your demolition, they can be priceless later on.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes, I made many and had to go back and redo them. Part of the learning process.