1965 span help!!!

andrew91

Seaman
1173662_653183878033043_1823400474_n.jpg

Ok I purchased my great grandpas 65 span offshore its a long story my dad sold it when i was 5 and i rescued it off a highway in iowa the guy had a for sale sign on it was about to junk it because it had been there for 4 months but i purchased it it is indeed my families boat i have photographic proof and my fathers handwriting is still on the inside of the seats from when he rebuilt them...

But my question is the gelcoat i have been told is buffable but there are some chunks missing fiberglass is in good shape so my question to all of you is whats the best way to go about fixing that should i just paint over it??? if so what should i fill it in with also the teal color on top of the boat above the rub rail has some spider cracking appears to be paint to me is anyone familiar to this era of boats if im correct or not?

Heres a picture of the teal color that im talking about
993009_653183868033044_673950683_n.jpg1234973_653183821366382_1037559261_n.jpg

P.S. sorry about the crappy pictures they came from my cell phone i will get better pictures on here asap

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 span help!!!

Your pics are not detailed enough to see what's going on. Best way to post your pics is using a Free Photobucket account and then use the IMG Code to copy and paste the pic into your iBoats thread. The boat is prolly all Gelcoat and will need to be patched using gelcoat paste and or Thickened poly resin.

andrew91

Seaman
Re: 1965 span help!!!

the pictures of the top of the boat dont show any damage when i had my phone with me i did not notice the spidering the lower hull doesnt show any spidering just chips out where it had bad gelcoat or it was rubbed against at one point or another till the gelcoat wore off the fiberglass is not dinged or damaged ive been around fiberglass rv's my entire life i know what fiberglass damage is but i've never paid attention to repairing gelcoat there is one piece back on the transom where i will have to fix some fiberglass but that is due to my grandpa doing a poor job on his fiberglass repair years ago im sure matching the color will just be a blast on this thing