1965 Jet Star restoration

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 restoration

I just picked up on your resto TM.... I love the floors (nice carpentry) and seats alot too. Im a fan of the wood look. Makes you feel like sitting on your own deck while out fishing on the lake :D.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the warm fuzzies!

My next move will be lining the inside of the gunwales with either red cedar or red oak. If I could get my hands on some heart redwood at anything approaching a reasonable price I'd use that. Then again, I have this thing for American Chestnut. I have enough (salvaged from a remodel I did a few years ago) that dates to the 1850's to do it without using any pure furniture grade stock. I'm just caught not being sure that brown chestnut and red cedar will look good together.

Hey! I made Seaman Apprentice again! The last time was in 1967.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1965 Jet Star restoration

Gunnels done. Now they look a little better.

Now if I could only get the darn motor to start I'd be in business. It cranks furiously, has fuel flow and a solid spark but won't even offer to start.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Are you going to put your splashwell back in? Now you'll have to modify it to fit, won't you?

Wood looks great, you'll have something real unique when you get done.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That is one fine looking boat there, you did good. You say there is spark thru the spark plug? It could be timing or points, which I have to take my older Johnson's to a shop for. I've got a 9.7 horse now that needs one or the other. I'd make sure my plugs were good first tho.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you going to put your splashwell back in? Now you'll have to modify it to fit, won't you?

The splash well was long gone when I got her. I didn't cover the holes where it was mounted so I can replace it later. This winter I will have to do the transom and I plan to build a new splash well at the same time.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You say there is spark thru the spark plug? It could be timing or points, which I have to take my older Johnson's to a shop for. I've got a 9.7 horse now that needs one or the other. I'd make sure my plugs were good first tho.

The spark is strong. I suspect that the problem is with the priming solenoid. I replaced the manual valve and housing a few days ago, and went from rough running (too rich, I think) to not running at all. Today I got her to start and run for about 40 seconds. I happened to notice--the hard way--that the solenoid was hot enough to blister skin. I've mentioned that the PO didn't pay too much attention to the finer points of wiring and I suspect that that is where the problem lies. Here is something else interesting. The priming valve housing came with 2 little nipples on the bottom. The SELOC manual only shows one, and the parts diagrams I have located also only show one. The valve that I replaced had the inboard nipple pinched shut because, presumably, there is no place for fuel to go except into the lower engine cover. The new valve leaked through it too, so I pinched it shut and cured that problem. I suspect that the solenoid is seized/locked/frozen in the open position and the mixture is too rich for the engine to run. I am going to haul the thing over to the local Johnson guru and see what he thinks.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the deck!.. I have a '59 Jet and am thinking of the same thing...I have a couple of questions for ya if you are so kind :)...Do they sell tongue and groove any thinner than 5/8?...I was gonna put pink foam underneath and that should give it some support...I know they use 1/4 inch plywood so how thin could I go? I am concerned about weight....also does all this wood add a lot of weight?........I love the wood look and you really got me thinking..... Thanks for any replies :)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

@TM: Glad to see someone when cedar like me... Pictures look amazin but i know it looks much better in person! Here is my floor and how I modified my splashwell... I used Penofin Red Label Cedar stain on mine

Attachments

• splash well.jpg
    splash well.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • stain.jpg
    stain.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • floor2.jpg
    floor2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0
  • splash well stain.jpg
    splash well stain.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I love the deck!.. I have a '59 Jet and am thinking of the same thing...I have a couple of questions for ya if you are so kind :)...Do they sell tongue and groove any thinner than 5/8?...I was gonna put pink foam underneath and that should give it some support...I know they use 1/4 inch plywood so how thin could I go? I am concerned about weight....also does all this wood add a lot of weight?........I love the wood look and you really got me thinking..... Thanks for any replies :)

I have not seen it any thinner, but it would be no trick to run it through a surface planer. If you do that just be sure to make equal passes on both sides. But be careful thinning cedar because it is soft to begin with, and isn't noted for strength in thin sections. The total weight of the deck boards in my boat is just under 35 lbs. That includes the aluminum angle (1.25 x .375) that is under the aft removable section. That section is also the only part that is glued together into a single unit. I think the most important thing is to have fun with it.

Wow, Piece715, that looks really nice! What are the angled metal pieces in the last picture? Perchance that is the forepeak rather than the splashwell? If I had another foot of beam I probably would have tried for more of a flush deck forward, but I was concerned about raising the center of gravity.

Yesterday I took the yacht to the Johnson doctor (WNC Marine in Waynesville). He said he doubted that the problem was serious, and I sure hope he's right. I think I'm going to let him change the impeller while he has it. The book says do it not more than every three years. When I dropped the lower unit the bolts were corroded enough that I doubt it had been removed for a decade or more. I blew out the holes, hosed them down with WD-40, and ran a tap through them. If I'm not mistaken ( but that's common :redface: ) the impeller vanes on that motor are supposed to stick straight out and have rounded ends. Mine have a very definite set to them, and I didn't notice the ends. Anyway, a water pump overhaul is going to be cheap insurance.

I have the wooden windshield frame half done. I don't recall ever building anything with so many compound angles and curves. I'd love to get on with it, but it will have to wait till I get her back from the boat hospital because the only way I could see to get it right was to lay it out on the fore deck, and fit each piece precisely. I'm reluctant to just mirror the side that's done because I would be shocked if the other side is a true mirror. Much more likely it is going to be like the human face: slightly asymmetrical.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I'll be booted off here for saying this, but you ought to try building a wooden boat as good as you are with the wood. I had one once that I had problems with, but they look real good when taken care of. I had a redwood deck, gunwales, bow and side rails. I got a deal in the late 70's on 1/10 redwood. That's back when they had the stuff for a reasonable price. I sealed the whole thing with epoxy, threw some coarse sand on the deck (just a little for traction) with it still tacky, and I don't remember what I put over the epoxy to protect it.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll be booted off here for saying this, but you ought to try building a wooden boat as good as you are with the wood.

You are kind to say that, but I'm sure there are many others here who are far more accomplished than I am. Look at Piece 715's work for example. I inherited the knack and ability from my grandfather, but he worked at it seriously (sculptor, artist). I only play with it.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Beautiful woodwork TM... the last pic of the 5 looks awesome. Im a fan of nice clean carpentry :D. I have never heard of Penofin. I still say I wanna grab some lunch, a big outdoor lounge chair and a large iced tea and just relax on your boat .... :D

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the 7th I took the yacht to the shop to have the motor checked out. As of last Friday it still had not been looked at. He told me by Monday or Tuesday. Yeah. I wish there was another game in town. I have the windshield half done, but can't finish it without the boat. Frustration is mounting.

Jaybe123, I think you are looking at Piece715's elegant work.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

@ TM: That last pic is the splash well... Just took all exposed aluminum around the carpet and cut cedar to mount over it. The angled pieces in the boat isnt metal, its my flotation foam
photo(5).jpg

photo(4).jpg ... the blue stuff from home depot. And I agree I am very much the amateur when it comes to woodworking... Heck all i used was a right angle and a jigsaw... there were many pieces that i'd cut a little test fit... cut a little more.. CRAP need another piece... A little patience and planning and anyone can do it

I appreciate all the comments guys... wood and tin boats just seem to be a natural fit together ;) props to TM for the great work... Love the look of the wide boards

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The shop got the boat on the 7th. On Tuesday the 12th I called and was told, "any second now". On Friday I called and heard (from the owner), "no, we haven't looked at it yet. Monday or Tuesday for sure". Yesterday afternoon, Tuesday, about 4:30 I called again and was told by the "any second now" kid they still hadn't even looked at it. I said, "Don't do anything to it. I'll come and get it tomorrow and take it to a shop that wants my business". The reply? "That will be fine".

I swear I don't understand that way of doing business, especially with the economy the way it is, and the scarcity of recreational dollars. I can see a shop being busy. In fact that is usually a good sign. But at least be honest with customers about the time frame, and don't just leave them twisting in the wind. During these last 13 days they never called me once.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's the busy season, but the least they could do is give you a courtesy call. That's all I ask too, give me a realistic time estimate. I agree, take it where they want your business.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I find it's usually the bigger businesses that do that, but I've got a small one that can't seem to get back to me on my boat top. Been trying since May. They haven't even said they were ready to fit it yet. They've got the material and pattern, and measurements. At least the boat is still here to work on. Whatever happened to the customer having rights, we keep them in business.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was stated correctly when you said "Take my business where someone wants it" and someone does. Its a shame when they get away with the non-communication in business. They / businesses need to be reminded, busy or not, they are "earning" your business!

Good luck getting it done and figured out!

Chuck

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: I got it back yesterday afternoon. Fixed. The owner was apologetic about not getting to it as he said he would, but he treated me right on the repair. The choke solenoid was sticking open and flooding the engine, and the carb was a little gummy. New solenoid and cleaning the carb came to $100.00 which I consider cheap. We parted on good terms. I regret mentioning the name of the business in an earlier post, and have edited it out.

As soon as I got back with it I started to fit the windshield. I had built the right side on the bench, but for a good fit the other side has to be fitted while on the boat. After an hour the rain started. I'll get some process pictures today.