1965 Jet Star restoration

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1965 Jet Star restoration

I prefer to spend my time on top of the water!

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks like I won't be on either side of the water any time soon.The mechanic tells me that the starter mount is not properly repairable short of replacing the block, and that would cost more than the motor is worth. He will not shade-tree it. I have an idea or two myself, and will go get it this afternoon. Of course I can always just rope start it. Yeah. On the other hand I'm also giving serious thought to just saying the heck with it and selling it.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More on the starter saga. The bracket has three bolts. The forward top one goes into a pad cast on the block. That one is finished completely as the pad is broken off. The bolt hole on the left side was stripped out, then drilled and a heli-coil installed some time in the past. The only one in good condition is the one on the front side at the bottom. I made a heavy aluminum strap to secure the top and got it where the pinion lines up and nothing moves. Maybe today I can get it to start.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The yacht has been at the mechanic's place since the 12th. I asked them to do a thorough check of the engine, and if it is mechanically sound (other than the starter bracket) to go ahead and put in a new water pump, or at least replace the impeller. I gotta say, I miss the little darlin'. When I sell enough 'stuff' that I've had for decades I'll hang a new 40 or 50 on the back. That'll make the old girl scoot. I've already sold my Winchester '73 and some watches so about 4 grand more ought to do it.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The saga continues.

The mechanic put on (another) choke solenoid, replaced the fuel pump, plugs, and 2 seals in the foot. The motor starts and runs, but there is too much slack in the throttle plate so the idle won't adjust. I'd love to post pictures, but my digital camera is kaput. What happened is that the torque generated by the starter loosened the left mounting bolt--which was barely engaged to start with--enough that the arm that transfers throttle motion from the cable to the throttle plate wiggles enough to prevent good tuning. The hole for that bolt was so close to the edge of the casting that it was bound to fail, and fail it did with part of the upper left corner breaking away. From the looks of it I'm probably at least the third guy to mess with it. What I propose to do is get some slow set JB Weld, get the bracket lined up, inject the two broken holes with JB, and run in the bolts as far as I can which will be about two threads each. Once that cures for a day or three I can put the beefed up aluminum strap back and hopefully that will do it. I'm no outboard design expert, but engines are not a mystery either. It seems to me that the throttle design on this motor is way too complicated for such a simple function because too many unrelated parts are involved: i.e. the starter bracket has to be perfect or the linkage can't be secured.

If this attempt doesn't fix it enough to use for a while I'll part out the motor and just wait till I can buy a new one.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Sorry for the bad news, what a disapointment. Maybe you can get it going long enough until you find something in better shape.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

A dollar at a time.....
. I think Lakelover had it right. There is always something, and always will be. They do keep us from spending our time and money on something frivolous tho.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So far so good. I loosened up the throttle linkage so I could better get at the bolt hole. There was three turns of the sprung heli-coil hanging out, so I cut them off just below the pad surface. Then I could see that there was still five turns inside the block. Good. A few minutes with my trusty Dremmel tool and the surrounding surfaces were suitably rough. While waiting for the JB to thicken I cleaned off the area with acetone and ran in a 5/16-18 x 1.25 Allen head set screw (industrial machine quality) with the tip dipped in the JB. After 30 minutes or so I applied more JB to the broken area and built it back up. I do not anticipate any further guff from that particular bolt. The front one is a different story. My first thought was to do the same to it as the side bolt, but if I did that I'd have two bolts perpendicular to each other and never again be able to remove the starter. There is only a little build-up needed, maybe 3/32, and a good bit of heli-coil is still there. So I thinking the thing to do is use another set screw but only with some Locktite. Both screws get hex nuts and lock washers. The bottom screw is O.K.. It only needs a thin shim between the bracket pad and the mounting ear. All that, plus re-installing the heavy aluminum reinforcing strap I made previously and maybe we can go put-puting around the lake again.

I have a fancy digital camera at work that has been there for years but we never use. Too complicated. I'll ask to borrow it so I won't have to paint such lengthy word pictures.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My first thought was to do the same to it as the side bolt, but if I did that I'd have two bolts perpendicular to each other and never again be able to remove the starter.

I wouldn't worry about that because I know if it was me, and the starter failed on this particular motor, I'd loosen the motor mounting bolts and let it drop off into the drink :p

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't worry about that because I know if it was me, and the starter failed on this particular motor, I'd loosen the motor mounting bolts and let it drop off into the drink :p

Hello? Allstate? I have a little problem....

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Moving along (but not on the water)......

A friend of mine came over on Tuesday and we played with the engine. The good news is that he got it to start. The bad news is that it would almost immediately stall. The primer bulb didn't seem to want to firm up, and the only way it would start is if he put his hand over the carb air intake. When it was running it was smooth and steady. The fuel in the tank is the same fuel we ran around the lake with a few weeks ago, so that can't be an issue. I guess I'll haul it back to WNC Marine and see what they can do for it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Before you haul it back, replace the o rings in the fuel line, or it could be the whole fuel line. Sounds like you are sucking air. Could also be in the fuel pump, or carb. But the line is the cheapest and easiest to fix. O rings are in the connectors for the tank and engine.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's good advice. I think you are right.

We discussed the possibility that it was the fuel line leaking a little because the bulb should firm up with only a couple of squeezes. So I believe I will run over to Wal Mart and get a new set up. I think they get something like $35 for one.

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you ever done anything so dumb that it calls into question your ability to walk and breath at the same time? Heyyou suggested checking the o-rings on the fuel line. Well, I did that. They were not the problem, but they led to a big part of the solution. I've told my friend that if NASA puts out a call for rocket scientists we need not apply. While checking the fuel line connections my eye fell on the bulb. The little arrows were pointing at the TANK! Could you bust? It was correct when I took it to the shop, but backwards when I got it home. I turned it around, gave it a couple squeezes, and she fired right up and ran smoothly for about 45 seconds, then died and would not start again. Now I suspect that either the replacement fuel pump is bad, or the primer solenoid is. I gotta say, that mechanic does not impress me. There was nothing wrong with the pump I had, and the solenoid he replaced (with a used one) was brand new. A vacuum leak would affect fuel flow in such a way that the effect would be shut down due to fuel starvation. I'll press the wife into service as a bulb squeezer and see if it continues to run. If it does, all I'll have to do is talk her into sitting in the back and giving it a little squeeze every 5 seconds or so. End of problem.

bananaboater

Ensign

I'll press the wife into service as a bulb squeezer and see if it continues to run. If it does, all I'll have to do is talk her into sitting in the back and giving it a little squeeze every 5 seconds or so. End of problem.

Don't ya just love optimism?:D

TM-1(ss)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, hard as it is to believe, after only three hours on the lake my lovely wife balked at having to sit and squeeze. Since my power source pooped out I cast about for options and found a 2009 Mercury 30 ELPT (3 cyl, 4 stroke) on Ebay as a closeout item, still new in the crate, full factory warranty, for $3999.00. I called and bought it. This morning I noticed that the Ebay ad had been changed to reflect the 2010 version of the same motor for a few hundred more. When I called this morning to deal with the paperwork I happened to mention that I'd seen the newer motor and wished I had known they had it. Nothing more was said. Half an hour later, when the bill of sale arrived for my signature I discovered that the dealer had given me the 2010 for the 2009 price. I can't tell you how happy I am with that. The dealer --just in case any of you fellows are in his neck of the woods-- is Extreme Powersports in Columbus, Georgia. I called my local Mercury dealer and it looks like I saved a cool 2 grand. The local guy will rig it for me for $100-150. He is familiar with my 25 Johnny and we are working on a trade wherein I get the new motor rigged, and a set of instruments, and he gets the Johnny. Now all I will have to do is rig an icebreaker bow and I'll be ready to go....

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great ! I just love reading about a good deal. They're out there, you just have to look around for them. Looks like you came out on top all around.