1964 Starcraft Jet - Rebuild

InMotion

Commander
Hmmmm getting excited about another project here... so I thought I would admittedly prematurely... post a sneak peak of what will be making it's way to my garage this weekend... :) Just couldn't resist! :) :)

Just a little peak...
SCIII.jpg

It's gonna be a "busy" winter!

J.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1964 Starcraft Jet - Rebuild

I hope thats not a ski pylon sticking up there.....:D

64osby

Admiral

You're working on your Masters on MBS I see.

InMotion

Commander

You're working on your Masters on MBS I see.

Yah... if I recall a masters in MBS requires 4 "floating boats"... and this would put me at 3 floating boats and one that well... didn't! :D

dozerII

Admiral

You must have some splaining to do Lucy!!! Your Admiral must be very understanding, or is that why you need the fridge, Micro wave and hammock. ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Carp, nice looking preview! What Merc is that? And it's short shaft.... I just about couldn't find a short shaft 650 Merc, and for sure none less then 500mi away..

Ok, just a quick check:
14' Falcon ~ Check
15' Jet ~ Check
16' Jupiter ~ Check

Looks like a nice group, but to qualify as a mini-flotilla you'll need something in the 17' & 18' sizes :D

Looks like you also be needing that pole barn after all, at this rate before Christmas...:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I know there is now going to be a old alum Starcraft shortage in that 14' 16' slot but he did promise to leave the biggines for others.:rolleyes:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How do those crazy Canucks pass a long, cold winter? Buy up all the tinnies they can find during the Fall and re-build 'em in between hockey games and ice fishing. :D Jim, I thought you always dragged new boats home when the temps are below freezing and the ground is snow covered. Have you turned over a new leaf?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Nice!

20in or 15in transom?

and what is that merc on the back there?

Trailer looks nice from the little bit I can see there too! ;)

InMotion

Commander

You must have some splaining to do Lucy!!! Your Admiral must be very understanding, or is that why you need the fridge, Micro wave and hammock. ;)

Glenster... good news is the Admiral is on board with this one... :) So I only need a heater and music!

jbcurt00
Carp, nice looking preview! What Merc is that? And it's short shaft.... I just about couldn't find a short shaft 650 Merc, and for sure none less then 500mi away..

Ok, just a quick check:
14' Falcon ~ Check
15' Jet ~ Check
16' Jupiter ~ Check

Looks like a nice group, but to qualify as a mini-flotilla you'll need something in the 17' & 18' sizes

Looks like you also be needing that pole barn after all, at this rate before Christmas...

JB - Pretty much sum's it up... it is a 50 Merc short shaft! Gotta leave the bigin's for others... don't wanna come across all greedy and stuff! :) Yah... could use a bigger shop and storage area... maybe it's time to get some property! :D

GA_Boater
How do those crazy Canucks pass a long, cold winter? Buy up all the tinnies they can find during the Fall and re-build 'em in between hockey games and ice fishing. Jim, I thought you always dragged new boats home when the temps are below freezing and the ground is snow covered. Have you turned over a new leaf?

GA - You got it man! Normally you are correct...but I decided to get things going a little bit earlier!!! :)

Gibbles
Nice!

20in or 15in transom?

and what is that merc on the back there?

Trailer looks nice from the little bit I can see there too!

Thanks Gibbs!!! --- It's a 15" transom with a short shaft motor. Trailer has already been re-built --- but will be repainted. Nice little package --- or so it seams. Gotta look it over really closely though!!

InMotion

Commander

T-9 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Jim saw another tinny sitting beside the road with a for sale sign and thought "If one more is good, two more is better". :D

dozerII

Admiral

He's probably trying to figure out how to build a double decker trailer to pull two home at once!!:facepalm:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I'm glad I'm not afflicted this bad!:p

InMotion

Commander

May I present you... THE JET!!!

IMAG0556.jpg

Took a little longer to get there and back --- roughly 2.5 hrs each way. Seller was a super guy... had completely re-built the trailer and even put pin stripping on it!

IMAG0558.jpg

Serious winch assembly...
IMAG0557.jpg

Nice looking rollers and setup...
IMAG0560.jpg

Really like the look of this Merc --- just really fits the period of the boat. PO started it up and ran it... Ran great. Must be super tiny cylinders being a 4 pot motor... but has a really nice meaty sound for a 50. Motor inside is clean as a whistle...
IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0567.jpg

Next post....

InMotion

Commander

Boat has already been "gutted" and stripped and partially sanded for painting. I will be stripping the hull only on this one and painting the sides, bow and gun wales. Nice thought that some of the work has been done.
IMAG0565.jpg

Nice and clean inside...
IMAG0561.jpg

She's got a voltmeter as the sole instrument!
IMAG0562.jpg

Nice side shot of the motor..
IMAG0566.jpg

Also got a parts bin with some cool bow lights and requesite "purple" rear light!!
IMAG0569.jpg

So not sure what the previous, previous owner had in mind here... but the splash well drains had huge bolts in them and the splash well drained into the boat...??? He had an extra mini drain plug to plug the drain well hole... a brilliant solution to a problem that should have never existed in the first place!!
IMAG0571.jpg

Overall guys all I can say is HOLY MACAROONI!!! It's gonna be a busy winter... gotta get cracken!! I have 3 more "honey do's" to complete in the next 2 weeks and then I can focus some serious energy here!!!

Nice sized boat. Overall in great shape. Great trailer. One happy dude!!!

Jim