Merc. 165hp Carb adapter plate fitment issues? W/ PICS

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I have a 77' Sea Ray 187, its powered by a mercruiser 165, The boat runs fine but lacks the power that it should have. I have already went through and replaced and rebuilt anything that needed it within the motor including rebuilding the carb.

Here's what I'm working with:
-The carb I have on there is a 2 barrel Rochester with part #: 7043183
-The Exhaust manifold is a aftermarket Barr Marine part #: MC-16364

The question is do I have the right Carburetor adapter plate for this application? If you look at the pics the carb is offset from the manifold to where the Carb looks like halfway blocked from the intake passageway. My guess is the adapter plate is not the right one. It looks like it isn't fitting right.
***The boat was handed down to me with the owner saying the old manifold had busted and he had rigged this one up***

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc. 165hp Carb adapter plate fitment issues? W/ PICS

looks like someone cobbledy cobbed the pee outta that rig.
looks like the wrong osco(they made them a few years for Barr after the Barr foundry burned) manifold for your application that someone tried to make enough stuff to make it fit,which it wont.
looks like the manifold was originally for an OMC application but either way you most likly have some vacum leak issues and possibly throttle stroke issues at a minimum.
thats why all the home made brakets are bolted to it.
not even gonna mention that brass fuel line nut.
if its all fresh water use and in decent shape its not that hard to make an adapter that will fit correctly.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i dont know much abut your application there , but did you try turning the adapter 180 and see if it fits right that way ?

should have some experienced 6cyl guys here soon !

fish

ziggy

Admiral

yep, your manifold don't look like mine does....

IMG_0631.jpg

a '75 165hp L6....

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha.. Well it definitly doesn't look like yours does. Does anyone know of where I can get an adapter plate that will work for what I got? I ran the part numbers and the manifold is for this engine, as is the carb so I'm trying to get out of th $500 mainifold if I can just get an adapter plate.

Jim

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Don't mean to rob this post but man Zig that green is cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If your having issues with locating the right adapter even fabing one out of aluminum plate and drill press would be better than that use the gaskets as templates a couple of hole saws,drills,taps and a dremel to buff the through bores and your set. That thing has to be sucking major air.

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so here's some better pics of what this stacked up mess is made up of. I was looking on summitracing.com and found a plate that will bolt it up to the maifold the right way. However the linkage will be an issue as it is built into the plate from mercury.

DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

On the last pic you can see how offset and restrictive this setup was. Hopefully I can figure something out.

Maclin

Admiral

Why does it need any adapter? Looks to me like you just need a stud kit for the manifold, but the pics may be deceiving. What keeps the carb from fitting the intake with just a thick gasket?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Semo man my wife would kill me if I brought a carb into the house!!! But anyway I think you can fab this adapter plate yourself you have the templates the plate from merc for the top and the manifolds mating surface for the bottom center the carb on the manifold so the linkage is straight and us a pc of 3/4" plywood for a prototype drill the mounting holes for the manifold slap the plywood on and fit the merc plate on top and mark for the stud holes from there it's just boring the throat holes. then get a pc of thick aluminum and copy what do you have to lose unless you don't have access to a drill.jig saw or drill press

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies, I have a pretty good idea of what I have to do now. I will be fabbing a mock up from plywood tommorrow. I'm pretty sure It will work out. My other question is where can you get a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum? Lowes, home depot? I need it to be atleast 3/8" thick at a minimum for linkage clearence.

ziggy

Admiral

call around to your local machinists, welders, iron works. them types of places for some raw stock.....

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, I have a pretty good idea of what I have to do now. I will be fabbing a mock up from plywood tommorrow. I'm pretty sure It will work out. My other question is where can you get a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum? Lowes, home depot? I need it to be atleast 3/8" thick at a minimum for linkage clearence.

If you can't find a piece of aluminum locally, try this place...just because it's easy and quick; http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-plates/=54ll76

You can set up a credit card account and they'll ship it right to your door.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Semo if you can I should have mentioed to use mdf instead of ply it won't flke as much. You could also try a scrap yard for the material, I think it will turn out great take your time.

zbnutcase

Commander

Semo man my wife would kill me if I brought a carb into the house!!! DUDE you need a new wife. 'nutcase

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

nutcase don't go there I would reply further but don't want to get banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got some 3/4" MDF and made a replica of what I need. It turned out to be pretty easy, I traced the original linkage mount and just modified the main body. Now all I got to do is get some aluminum and get it done.

Here's some pics of what I made along with the original carb adapter plate.
DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Great start semo it just takes a lil thouhgt and tools and the best part is you did it yourself just remember to polish the through bore on the final pcand try to match them as close as possible and if you can make sure the mating surfaces are as flat as possible.post back

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Great start semo it just takes a lil thouhgt and tools and the best part is you did it yourself just remember to polish the through bore on the final pcand try to match them as close as possible and if you can make sure the mating surfaces are as flat as possible abd try to use radius's in the areas w/sharpe corners.post back

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That sure looks like a two barrel adapter for a four barrel manifold on a V8. Measure the bolt spacing on the carb and compare that with the bolt spacing on the manifold. It looks like they are pretty close to the same. A car heat isolator may permit bolting the carb directly to the manifold like God intended. If not, as was suggested, carve an adapter out aluminum plate.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Semo where the linkage arm comes off the proto type try to leave as much stock as you can and still be able to have full motion of the carb butterfly linkage that area could be under allot of stress also as I said in the previous post use radius's on every corner if possible it will minimize the chances of stress crack but so far it looks good remember you will have to fit and check numerous times before it's perfect take your time.