1962 Chris Craft Holiday 20’ bucket list resto

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So I guess we are starting the 5200 planks tomorrow. Was gunna start today but I got called in to work at the last minute. I hope this goes well .. Lol ! I pre-drilled and counter sunk all the screw holes . I have 4 different lengths of screws in this first plank . Started the screws so no pimples squirt out all over the place . I’m sure I’ll be covered before it’s all over .. That stuff is like roofing bull . Just crack the lid and it gets all over you ..
D3D26D91-4801-44C6-BD63-BA3C39A20EE0.jpeg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
First couple down . I’m getting a little over 3’ of plank per tube .
219F4EA6-4BCD-491A-8B0E-91494E1D778B.jpeg39E6B9CC-D2DC-4905-9B11-63DEC0709A2F.jpegB864C5FD-0FF5-41B2-BA2D-D849C0C34FB5.jpeg
I’ll be scraping up and reusing the ooze out ..

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sam I admire you for taking on this project, I can't imagine the patience required to work on a wooden boat. My fiberglass one really tried my patience! 😊

flashback

Captain
How is the working time with 5200, I've only used it for small things and your project ain't small!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
How is the working time with 5200, I've only used it for small things and your project ain't small!
You have plenty of time . It takes a while to cure . After I stop and clean up for the day I will be misting the planks with water and covering with plastic . It helps the curing process and keeps the planks swollen while drying . They have learned a lot of tricks since they started these type bottoms years ago .
There’s really only 2 types of these bottom most do now . The 5200 bottom and the West system epoxy bottoms . Some still do traditional though . Those are the boats that stay in the water most of the year ..
Mine will always be trailered when not in use so the “no soak bottom” makes the most sense …

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Plenty gooey Lol !
Sam,
What's the concept with using the 5200/application? So you end up scraping it all off or sand. Stuffs not cheap either.
So why not an epoxy?
Is this the way today vs. cotton caulking. Seems like the new fix.
Thanks.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I suspect he's using it because it remains a bit flexible and is relatively water proof. I think epoxy would be too brittle. The wood needs flex due to variance in moisture. Could be other polyurethane products but 5200 is proven.
No, I get it just not up on it regarding this application. Very neat. Yup a mess. The other applications have been used for decades.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
KC , your not scraping or sanding it off . It remains a waterproof layer in between the inner and outer layers .
Like Flashback said it remains flexible . Folks say the ride is a lot softer like original compared to the epoxy bottoms which are a good bit stiffer . I did a lot of reading before I decided to go this way . Epoxy would have been installed in a similar manner. And cheaper . It was just my choice . Probably the only one I will ever restore . Most boat shops charge 1000 bucks per foot on these bottoms .. Plus extra if a lot of framing needs replacing .
My boat is a 20 footer ….
Yep , I’ll be doing it myself .. Lol !

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great work Sam, I just got caught up with this awesome project. How many boats will you be able to pull down for the Mt Dora boat show? I assume this one might be ready? I was going to say I don't think you will be allowed to socialize with glass boaters once you hang with the woodies but you have been pulling it off for several years now with the wagemaker, lol. Maybe now that it is a Chris Craft you really will have to cut ties with the rest of us!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , Buck no way I’ll be done with the CC for Dora this year . Maybe next year., I’ll be bringing the WM and hanging out with the AOMCI group as usual. They are a fun group to hang with . I am looking forward to going to some of the ACBS shows and cruises with the CC though . I just hope this Holiday turns out presentable .. I gotta get past the structural part first . Then the all the pretty stuff starts to happen . So much stuff is going through my head on finishes .
I need to find a fuel tank fabricator hopefully near by . I think the motor is gunna be ready before I’m ready for it .. I need to pick up more planking for the sides .. Seems a bit overwhelming at times ! But we’ll get there eventually….
Hope everyone is having a blessed Christmas !!!
Cheers !!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The bottom is all in place . I got the sides stripped down to the frames . Picked up more wood for new planks . Gunna replace the batten boards . Just easier than filling the old screw holes ..
We visited New Orleans last week . First timers .. Kinda a different town for sure ! LOL! We walked down Bourbon Street once and that was enough for me .. Went to the Cemeteries. Kinda cool as far as cemeteries go ..
Best part was the WW II Museum ! Thats a must see if you ever go there !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
We avoid bourbon street in NOLA. Can only take do many people beating on plastic buckets.

We do love hitting the restaurants, the tours, and the jazz