1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Great progress on the boat. It was 6 deg in my neck of the woods this morning. Decided to take the weekend off while waiting for some supplies to show up. Only thing that sucks about my project is i'm using epoxy. And the local marina's in my area deal with poly products.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Micks, I wouldn't cut the glass off yet. Mark your height with a sharpie along each stringer, then fill them up to the line and after the seacast cures us a grinder and cut off the excess then. The reason to leave it on till later is that it will be much cleaner to be able to move excess seacast down a stringer instead of having it pour over the sides.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I cut mine off and didn't have too much trouble with it falling out. When it did I just picked it up and put it in the stringer. I can see how you could do it either way....you certainly don't want to waste any as much as it cost!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lime- yeh it was about 8 last night when I went outside. I'm pretty sure Dinbokowitz has epoxy- $93 a gallon.
I still haven't gotten my firewood cut either. The wife has me on a real short leash this weekend!

Skibum- I thought about leaving the glass on until after but I think it will be easier with it cut prior to- less waste and cleaner area to work.

Archbuilder- I have two layers of the 6" cloth right now. I have to cut out and lay strand yet and then I will be ready I think to remove the foam. The keel area is done now that I just used the handrail instead of seacast so now I can do my cross supports for my stringers too. My highest point on the stringers is 3.5" and then tapers down to as low as an inch in the front and back.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mick,

Your doing a awesome Job! I am really enjoying following this thread! Keep up the good work, and it will all pay off when it is done!

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah that 93 for the resin only then another 35 for the hardner. They stock some west system epoxy. I got a gallon of epoxy resin and hardner for 60 bucks at uscomposites. I'll be using between 6 to 8 gallons for my project. So for the price of a gallon of west sytem i can get 2 gallons of epoxy from uscomposites. I've used west in the past and i like it. Just really hard to justify the $$$$

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Ok just so you know which I didnt when I started. Seacast is pretty thick stuff, It doesnt just pour out and level like water. That is why I suggest leaving the fiberglass till after. If you do cut the fiberglass I would suggest a very wide funnel. At least a foot wide that fits over the stringer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

That is more or less how I did mine....14" wide funnel.....you are right its like trying to pour runny peanut butter with hair in it!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Mmmmmm hairy peanut butter.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mick,
It's really looking good. Your doing a great job. I think the rail was the right way to go too.
Still looking forward to seeing the seacast going in.
Bob

micks110

got the center of the hull glassed in tonight- tomorrow the outer sides of the stringers. I'm really sick of working with strand!
My plan is to do the outsides of the stringers tomorrow, then run a string line and cut the insides of the stringers, then finish the cross supports for the stringers.
The reason I'm doing strand now is so when the stringers are done I can tie into the strand with 6" mat, and go over the top of that with strand to seal the stringers all up.
What alot of work this is!
OK pics
Set up
100_0890.jpg
[/IMG]

all glassed in- I did a piece of 6" mat along the hull piece and then went over that with the strand that ran from stringer to stringer and then went over the strand again with another piece of 6"(prob wasted on that last piece of 6"- fumes got to me!).
100_0892.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0893.jpg
[/IMG]

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well Mick,
The boat really looks great. I can't wait to see the thing complete.
Keep the pic's coming.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

That is looking great. Keep up the good work.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great Mick! Oh the joys of fiberglassing!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

yeah that 93 for the resin only then another 35 for the hardner. They stock some west system epoxy. I got a gallon of epoxy resin and hardner for 60 bucks at uscomposites. I'll be using between 6 to 8 gallons for my project. So for the price of a gallon of west sytem i can get 2 gallons of epoxy from uscomposites. I've used west in the past and i like it. Just really hard to justify the $$$$

Check out Clark Craft in upstate NY. I paid 55 dollars for 1 gal. It was formulated specifically for my needs. They have 3-4 to choose from depending upon what your doing with it. Mine was a 1-1 mix..the others are 2-1 and 3-1. Worth the time to check it out.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mics looking real good
Pauly thanks for the tip. I like the fact that there is no sanding required in between coats

micks110

Thanks guys for the comments.

Not much to report tonight other than it sucks having a deadline. Up to this point I've just been working at my own pace. But since we plan on doing seacast on Sunday- now I'm starting to worry a bit I won't get everything done.
I don't have Friday and Saturday because I will be away(maybe Sat. night I'll get to it). I still have to glass one side of the boat with strand, do the cross supports, mark all my deck height points, cut off the excess fiberglass, put in the transom skin, and make the braces for it. oh, and make a funnel for the seacast. Oh, and hope the boat place got more strand in by tomorrow or else I'm a day behind:eek:

Oh well, here is the lone pic from tonight- I forgot to take a before pic. All glassed up on this side. So everywhere now(except for the opposite side) I have two layers of mat and a layer of strand- should be plenty strong for the seacast.
100_0894.jpg
[/IMG]

Tomorrow hopefully the boat place has strand in. Then I can finish the opposite side and get the two cross supports in. I'll probably mark my lines first for the deck height before I do the two center supports:confused: gotta think about what will work the best for that.

Thanks Again!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice work Mick...but take your time, if you can't make your schedule, put it off another week! It will be worth it in the long run, getting in a time crunch is where you make mistakes....just make sure you think through things....this isn't the space race! :D Keep up the good work!

micks110

archbuilder- completely agree with you. I was just out looking things over again and I think I can get it done if all goes according to plan. Tomorrow will be make or break I'm thinking. If the boat place didn't get their order in and I'm out strand- that may push things off.
We will see.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
It's looking good.
I agree with archbuilder, take the time to do it right. Nows not the time to rush and cost you more, time and money.
It looks great and I'm still looking forward to seeing the seacast, but I can wait if you need more time.
Bob