1961 Starcraft Jetstar Rebuild

Emursed

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2014
Messages
15
Been lurking and culling lots of information in the rebuild of my newly acquired 1961 Starcraft Jetstar. I have looked over a couple of other member rebuilds and restores and can't tell you how valuable the information and tips I have gained from their experiences has helped me in my journey so far. My Jetstar is in really good condition considering it's age, but I want to rebuild it in order to increase it's functionality and to show off how great these little tin beauties really are.

The following is my list of sub-projects I have lined up for this summer related to this rebuild.

* Replace the cable and pulley steering system
* Repaint the interior
* Install new interior seating
* Modify trailer for one person launch and recovery

I have all of my materials for the paint, interior and trailer and I am in the laborious process of sanding and stripping the interior for sealing and paint.

Where I am currently struggling is in deciding which way to go on the steering revamp. I am inclined to go with Uflex and leaning towards a non-feedback system for stability. I don't believe that I have a steering tube on the motor and would like to use the tabs that the cables are attached to currently to as my connection point for the steering cable. I am also thinking that a splash well mount would work best for my application.

If anyone has any input or suggestions regarding the direction I am considering for the steering I am eager to hear what you have to say. I have started pricing out the setup, but don't want to pull the trigger on a purchase until I am 100% sure I am headed in the right direction on my setup.

This is a picture of my Jetstar.

 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
Your pic did not come thru. I would recommend a standard rotary teleflex system with a transom mount for your tube. Something like this...

1-sa27255.jpg
60_st.jpg
 
Last edited:

Emursed

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 3, 2014
Messages
15
Thanks for the quick reply.
Any reason why the standard unit would be better than the non-feedback type for my application besides the added price?

I'll try again with a picture - and if it still does not work I will use Photobucket.

Emursed Jetstar.jpg
 

Woodonglass

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
25,933
WOW! She's in really nice shape!!! Wish I could find one like that!!!
Watch this video and you'll get a better understanding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B0eSHiIzM


Basically for small boats with smaller engines and slower speeds it's just not worth the extra expense. Of course that's just this Old Dumb Okies personal Opinion!!!:D
 
Last edited:
Top