1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

Sorry Steve I did miss it LOL!! That should save you quite a bit of fuel on those long trips you take .. When did mfg start making sailboats?:D

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may be surprised to know MFG made a number of sailboats. A few models of which I still see at my local lake.

Take a look here and you'll see their sailing lineup: http://www.sailmfg.com/

Here the latest of my baby!

DSC_0441_117.jpg

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

After a summer of use I thought I'd comment on my little MFG.

First ... I'm very satisfied with the boat and the repairs I've made. The paint choices have worked out well and so far seems very durable. I have a little mildew under the cover and it gets on the paint too. So far no staining.

With the transom replacement .. no regrets. It's solid and leak free. Underway the boat is bone dry.

Most of our use is on our local lake and the Oxford is just perfect. Here we are cruising ...

Cruisin.jpg

The boat has a good ride and a nice turn of speed for the small engine allowed (20 HP). Click the photo below to view video of the Honda at 3/4 throttle and 18 MPH.

The Honda 20 is equipped with a 9.25 x 10" prop and seems about right. I don't have a tach so I'm not sure about WOT RPMS. Bottomline is that with about 400 pounds of loading the cruise speed seems to be (Garmin GPS) about 18 - 19 MPH. If I'm in the boat alone the absolute top speed is right at 23 MPH. Respectable of the Honda and plenty fast enough for our lake. Power trim & tilt are well worth the extra cost.

Fuel usage is about 1.3 gallon per hour at cruise /flat water. (Approx 14 MPG)

In hot weather the windshield is not a asset. It makes a hot day hotter. But now as the temperatures have started to go down, like yesterday, we were glad for it. As it becomes cooler and cooler I'm sure it will help extend my boating season in the fall and spring.

As for interior space. . for a 14 1/2 it's great. Coming from our 11' Avon inflatable, it's down right luxurious!. A regular seat and forward facing, wheel steering is much better for my back. My wife likes not getting splashed so much too. Plenty of legroom and cooler space when only two are aboard.

I love the closed bow. It makes the hull rigid and dry.

The boat, on its' old COX trailer tows easily. At the ramp it takes 5 minutes to get ready and about the same on pullout. My GMC Envoy six cylinder pulls it just fine.

We are happy with the boat and look forward to many years of use and enjoyment! Here's my wife driving for the first time. Does she look happy?

RitaCropsm.jpg

In short, if anyone is considering buying and rehabbing an old MFG, I say go for it! (As long as you have the skills to follow through.)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Steve the Admiral looks like she,s havin a blast at the helm ! It,s great that you got the restore knocked out so quickly that you were able to get some enjoyment out of her before winter sets in .
Congratulations on a great job !;)
Now I gotta get my butt in gear ..:facepalm: :D

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Steve,
Looks to me like the Boss likes the boat without the sail much better....
It looks great. Time to put mone up for the season and get to work...

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not ready to give up yet! I'm doing a 4 day trip to the Chesapeake with my Mariner sailboat this week.

IMG_0299.jpg
Click image to see the Mariner roughing it on Chincoteague Bay!

Then I'm looking forward to doing some sunny day "leaf peeping" by boat in October. Last week of October I'll have a lot of winterizing to do! Here in PA overnight temps are mid to high 40s. Fall is a comin!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I'm not ready to give up yet!... Last week of October I'll have a lot of winterizing to do! Here in PA overnight temps are mid to high 40s. Fall is a comin!

Winterizing?! You mean installing a propane heater, right? :) LOL
Up here in Vermont I fished Champlain every single month for the last 17 months! And I would have been able to say the last 29 months I think except for the helm which broke while salmon hunting out of Converse Bay in Feb 2011.

One highlight each fall is the Frostbite Salmon Shootout on the first saturday of November. I actually hate the colder weather and shortening days but getting out to fish in the winter is still quite exhilarating. I once had to crack through 200 yards of 1/2" thick ice at the launch just to get to open water.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Holy cow Mark you are one dedicated fisherman ! LOL!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Holy cow Mark you are one dedicated fisherman ! LOL!

I think I posted this before on here but in case you haven't seen it, this is December in Vermont in a 1964 14' Niagara with 3 grown men on board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FLQvy43aM0bIDrMCmcI6Tekw&feature=player_detailpage&v=WyS52XxWzYs

You know, its just another fish-hunt adventure! And as much as I love my Niagara, I really need to either get a big MFG or repair the transom and buy a motor for the 19' Starcraft I am just storing. 1-2 footers in December seem a whole lot bigger and more serious with water temps in the 30s & 40s than they do in July!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I like how you had to climb on the front of the car for traction .. I think you just went from dedicated to just plain nuts !:eek: :D

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I like how you had to climb on the front of the car for traction .. I think you just went from dedicated to just plain nuts !:eek: :D

He ha ha! :)

The ramp was dry and 16 degrees air when we launched- it snowed about 3" while we were out. But I have a rear wheel drive car now with limited slip which is better. Still could be better with 4WD... There is a bucket of sand that is left at that ramp and replenished by one of several of the informal Champlain "frostbite fleet." I have had to back into the water and get a run on the ice at the waterline to get up the ramp a few times LOL:eek:

These little MFGs are still little boats but I daresay there are not too many boats in the 14' range that I would want to be out in those conditions... MFGs handle the water!

A few months ago I found a 16'+ Westfield Custom a few hours away which a friend bought. Maybe I need one??? Not much more weight but a whole lot more boat than a 14' Niagara... and more beam. Probably should focus on the Starcraft. But I feel all warm and fuzzy over these MFGs :)

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now my little Oxford is a rescue Boat!!

Today, while leaf peeping at my local lake, I saw a 16 ft. catamaran capsize. The boat was a mile away and I knew in those chilly waters the crew could be in danger. We raced over (as fast as 20HP could go) and found an elderly gent, with no life jacket struggling to right the boat. He couldn't right it cause the sails were up and one man alone was just not enough to lever it up. The cat finally blew to shore and I was able to dock the Oxford nearby.

I went in the water, got the sails down, and helped him get the boat upright. From there we put on a towline, backed the Oxford to him, hooked up and towed him a mile and a half back to his launch area.

Even though the Oxford is underpowered with 20 HP, she proudly pulled the cat home and delivered the old gentlemen to the dock in complete safety.

Bravo little MFG!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Way to go Steve !!!! I know the distressed sailor was very lucky to have you near by .. I would have loved to see the Oxford chugging away with cat in tow !:cool: You and your little MFG are the hero,s of the day !

kfa4303

Banned

AWESOME!!!! Good boat karma if ever there was. Kinda scary the old timer would be out there alone with no pfd in cold water, but all's well that ends well, I suppose. Just goes to show that if you take care of your gear, it will take care of you. Oh, and that motor boats rule. Go lil' MFG! Does she have a name yet?

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the boating season is officially over for me! Took my last run yesterday. Now to winterize and get the cover supported against the Pennsylvania winter snows. Thinking of all you lucky warm climate boaters!

As the last rays fade, I reluctantly loaded her on the trailer ...

Last Run 12.jpg

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I love reading your reports SteveMFG! I guess I will miss them 'til spring. :(

I winterized my Niagara over the weekend. I launched out of Converse Bay and managed 3 salmon and 5 lake trout in about 3-1/2 hours :) As long as the ramps don't get too icy and the bay doesn't freeze solid I plan on continuing to winterize once or twice a month all winter long :p

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mark! Glad I am helping someones day! (besides mine)

You might be interested further that I shared this last run with my newly minted Airman First Class (USAF) son. This was his first ride since he helped me with some repair chores before his departure to basic training. He's home on leave for a few more days then we are driving together to Edwards Air Force Base in California. This is our "father / son" trip before he begins his active duty career. We are taking 9 days to make the trip and make some fun stops along the way!

Some additional photos of the last run can be seen on our facebook pages .. have a look if you like. ( you'll have to scroll some )

http://www.facebook.com/steve.hockPA?ref=tn_tnmn

http://www.facebook.com/dale.hock.9

I'm looking forward to finishing out my resto this spring. Finishing the inside paint, adding the splash tray, and doing the bottom and waterline stripe!

Great job on the fishing! I gottta confess ... I hate cold weather! Enjoy those freezing temps in VT. Maybe a pair of DC powered motorcycle gloves would work for fishing??

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about having to put her away till spring Steve .:mad:But at least you got to use her for a bit here lately ..:) All your trips looked like a lot of fun . I,m beginning to think that I,m never getting mine splashed .LOL!
Have a great time on your trip with your son . Kids grow up way to fast ya know !

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well now that we got that blizzard over with it can start warming up any time! How are all you MFGers doing?? It's been a quiet winter on the rehab side. Anybody making any progress?

Mine is still covered in the yard. I do hope to finish up some of the "little" jobs so I can say it's "finished". I finally got a part time job so my time is a bit more limited for repair and traveling.

Can't fully retire quite yet. Wifes got a few more years on her job.

I am looking forward to getting back on our lake when the ice melts!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hope you all came out ok with all the snow ! Been pretty busy at work so not too much progress but I did pick up a nice galv trailer for 350 bucks . :)
DSC01073_zps64745263.jpg

There throwing together a get together for Fla/ S Georgia Iboats members . I hope I can get mine ready to go for the trip !