1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a 1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe in pretty decent condition. The hull is in great shape except of course for the transom. The floor seems pretty solid too. The original seats have been replaced.

The boat has most of the original "bits" and has not been modified. Looks like original steering wheel and cable system is complete. DAsh has the "glovebox" and the raised gunnels .. the beginnings of fins! It also has the splash plate.

Biggest bummer for me is the 8 inch vertical crack in the windshield. I would like to see any photos you have of this model. I tried to attach a photo. Not sure if it worked ... here goes.

sideview.jpg 61 Oxford Detail.jpg 61 Oxford Stern.jpg Honda 20 Test Fit.jpg

Underneath all the mold and mildew green is a pretty nice original little boat. I plan to power with a Honda 20 HP with power trim & tilt. The engine weighs about 140. Should be fine. ( We have many lakes in PA with 20 HP limits.)

I'm a bit surprised that the "Deluxe" deck has gelcoat on it but the lapstrake hull has none and you can see the fiberglass strand easily. Are other MFGs' this way too?

Attachments

• 61 Oxford Vt Steer copy.jpg
    61 Oxford Vt Steer copy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

pduquette

Ensign
Re: 1961 MFG Oxford Deluxe - Beginning a New Life

Woo HOO! Hi Steve! Glad to see another surviving '61! I got one too,still a work in progress. She's a capable boat, nimble and quick, easy to launch,and always gets alot of compliments. Happy new year...I'll keep in touch.

pduquette

Ensign

F.y.I. Steve,jump back to pg. 6 of this forum and look up my "canal Trip" for some of my picts of my setup.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

the interior of my niagara started showing some fibers but the exterior is gel. I solved the fiber issue by getting a quart of polyurethane paint mixed to color match the deck color and just painted the interior of the hull. Good luck with your great little boat!

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saw your pics! Looking good.

I've been occupied with replacing my transom core. I opened it up and it was basically "mulch". It now has a new hardwood plywood core encapsulated with System Three epoxy resin. So far I have about 15 hours and $150 dollars invested. Probably another 5 hours to finish. It is absolutely rock solid. Pity the guy who has to take it apart in another 50 years!

Clean Cavity.jpg Curing.jpgDry Fit.jpg Epoxy Clamp.jpg Outer skin.jpg

The small wood cleats you see attached to the panels are to assist in positioning. This is a very snug fit and it requires a bit of tapping here and there to get everything in and aligned. The cleats give something to tap on! They also aid in the removal during the dry fit process. With out them it would be nearly impossible to get the parts out once installed.

Last edited:

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a couple more photos of the job ...

Skin n mulch.jpg the parts.jpg

This the toughest job I have, except for all the sanding! Most or the remainder is minor cosmetics. I am constantly amazed at how pure this boat is. Fifty years and it's hardly changed from stock with almost no holes or cutouts except the original. Original hardware in place too!

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Steve , I was just wondering was there a reason why you chose to cut outside skin instead of inside? Maybe to keep from cutting out deck? Just curious... The wood fabrication looks great !

Later, S.P.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was just easier for me, plain and simple. I can't even guess how many times I would have clambered up the ladder, in and out of the cockpit to do this. I was very happy with this set-up. I came out really well. The only thing I would change is I would make the center filler piece on the outside somewhat "V" shaped instead of 2 vertical cuts. It would have installed a lot easier and made the dry fit process easier as well. The original outer skin will be epoxyied back on. I'm a skilled fiberglasser so the outside finishing doesn't present a problem for me.

By the way.. the plywood was a 3/4" hardwood ply, good 2 sides from Home Depot ($44.00 for 4' x 8'). I had them make the rough cuts on their panel saw to make it easy to carry home. Good 2 sides made it easy for the parts to slip past each other when "buttered" with epoxy. I used System Three general purpose epoxy resin with the "medium" hardener. Around the edges I used thickened epoxy.

It will consume about a quart and a half of resin and of course the appropriate hardener amount to complete the job. When finished it will be way better than new.

The rest of the ply will be utilized in repairing seat supports and so on.

Thought some of the members might be interested in seeing the original serial number: F9 6394.

OXFORD1024.jpg SERIAL 6394.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Steve ....... welcome to iboats. Not having any fiberglass skills I was afraid to cut the outter skin of my boat to replace the transom for fear of having leaks after trying to replace it. As you said it sure would have made it a lot easier to remove and replace. Your work looks good keep the pics coming. I have a link which may give you an option for your windshield if you haven't already seen it here it is:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,68,00.html

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jon

Thanks so much for the most valuable link! Very interesting! I have a lot of work to do before I get to the windshield. My windshield is also a "bubble" type which I would like to retain somehow. It really says "sixties" to me. Three hundred bucks is a bit steep to replace.

My transom is nearly closed up now. Ready to start the "finish work". Unfortunately its quite cold here right now.

For anyone contemplating a transom rebuild on a Corry, Oxford or Cambridge, I would recommend this method. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. One key thing is to draw the cutout line 2 inches in from the edge, and drill several holes on the line to insert your saber saw. Especially at hard turns.

I used my grinder and cut-off wheel to make a short saber saw blade so the "plunge" stroke was about 3/4" below the outer skin. It worked terrific and I had the skin off in just a few minutes. A medium tooth wood blade made a nice clean cut. Start with a new one.

I'll have 20 - 25 hours total in the transom rebuild. The peace of mind is well worth it. When complete my boat will be better than new!

Anyone interested in viewing my MFG photo album can see it here:

http://s399.photobucket.com/albums/pp76/SLHPHOTO1/MFG%20Boats%201959%20-%2061/

I will be documenting my progress there.

Last edited:

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Hey - I notice the Oxford has Vermont registration numbers on it. did you pick it up in Vermont or did someone else get it to PA?

Your pics don't show the windshield crack. If it is centered you *may* be able to perhaps install a vertical aluminum strip? It would look like a vertical windshield divider but not be obtrusive or expensive to cover the flaw. Just a thought. Otherwise if you can get a "bubble-style" replacement for $300 that is cheap... a piece of lexan that size would be over $100 alone and then you have to heat and bend it and fit it back into the frame.

Two last thoughts: will 20hp be enough? I am not sure if you will much over planing speed. That, and if it isn't too late to make the mod, I would suggest raising the transom. When I did my Niagara I raised the transom quite a bit and cut out a lowered area where the motor clamps. (my suzy has a longer shaft than the shorty '64 Johnson 40hp it came with.) Those few inches keep aft waves from coming in so much better. The pics you have so far look like great craftsmanship by the way. I just used a couple of CCA 2x10s installed from the transom inner and a bunch of screws then 'glassed back in the original inner transom inner. Your method is better.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comments!

Naturally the windshield crack is off center. Good idea though!

I purchased the boat in Vermont. About 6 hours driving each way. I had good seller pictures and knew pretty well that it would be worth the trip. I had wanted one of these boats for a long time and was not put off by the distance. Just shows to what lengths a "crazy boater" will go to buy a boat! (I bought my sailboat in Indiana!)

Twenty horsepower is a concession to the State of Pennsylvania. Many PA state lakes have 20 HP limits (or less). I have no delusions about the performance but am optimistic. When I see how well my 1500# sailboat is pushed by my 4 HP Yamaha (5kts at 1/2 throttle on flat water), I think Ill be fine with 20 HP. Basically I go sightseeing, cruising and picnicing. No hurry ... I'm hoping for 15 to 18 KTS at the top. Any better I'll be very happy.

If I ever move to an area where more HP is usable I'd like a Honda 40/45.

Too late to change, the transom is all closed up, faired and the drains in.

We'll see how things perform in a couple more months. The Honda 20 is said to be a "powerful, lightweight" engine. Normally they run a 4 blade prop. I think the key will be to get exactly the right pitch for the boat/engine and proper loading. (Fingers crossed) The Honda has "power trim" so I hope that helps too.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Steve, when we gunna git more pics? Love to see the transom all faired in!:)

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

As soon as I grind off the excess plastic tube in the drains and get a coat or EasyPoxy undercoater on I'll take some pics. Probably about 3 days ...

After using a 7/8" flycutter bit to open the new drains I used thickened System Three epoxy to reseal the exposed wood, then coated and inserted plastic domestic home water pipe. This will never crack or separate from the transom. No leaks there! When the epoxy cures it's a simple matter to belt sand the excess off and bring it flush with the outer skin. A trim of the inside "fur" with a pocket knife finishes the job.

Here at least is the transom in its "being faired" state. Note the BondoGlass leveling out the areas where bolts were overtightened and badly distorted the skin. This had to be ground away and faired to return the outer surface to some semblance of smooth & level. The outer skin went back on real nice overall.

Reattach.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looks good making progress ! I noticed that,s a nice looking texture on the drive way. I would sure like to pour a new drive but it,s about 700 ft to make the loop . Maybe when I hit the lotto !:rolleyes:

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hah ! The driveway is over 40 years old and has more cracks in it than a Las Vegas Chicken Ranch! What you see is one of the "better" spots!

Got the steering wheel sprayed with white epoxy and silver center spokes. The center insert was missing so I created one out of an art product called "Sculpy". Looks pretty nice! Been out gathering paint chips for the deck color and bought paint for the interior trim, bottom and splash tray.

Also finished constructing the 2 seat "boxes". Now to stain & varnish.

Seatbox1.jpg Steering Wh Orig.jpg Steering Wh.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Steering wheel looks great I like the white and silver! What are the 3 holes for in the seat boxes ? Fishing poles?

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

The previous seat boxes were completely enclosed. The plywood was untreated, moisture got trapped inside and totally rotted them out. The holes and opening at the base as well as the opening at the front is my attempt to allow some air to flow through, water run out and hopefully keep things dried out a bit.

I plan to paint the insides too to help the situation. When finished I'll staple some silver screen on the inside over the holes to discourage the bees. My seats aren't the greatest but replacement is not in the budget. They'll last a couple years yet.

The black steering wheel was pretty bland but in excellent condition. I kinda hated to paint it, but it was just too ugly to put into my soon to be pretty little "new" boat.

It's turned frigid here in PA. Progress has slowed to a crawl ...

Below is my latest eBay acquisition ... a nice Alexandria Boatworks bow light and my cleaned-up and refirbed metal gas tank.

Bow Light.jpg Gas Tank.jpg

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Steve ..... Nice work.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow Steve.
Some of you guys are WAYYY mor ambitious than I am.