1961 Fiberglass runabout question.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 Fiberglass runabout question.

Sure enough. I looked it up and it did say that they had a factory in Fort Worth. I tried to find the address but was unable.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The garage and boat both look just fine, drapes in a garage?? Never happen at my place but I'm a bachelor for another 6 months so we will see. Yep I new the full camera shot would show a cream puff, and it is really nice original boat you have there. Woods Lone star is very close in style and size, vintage too. My Lone Star is close to both your boats, Mine being a 61 Lone Star Fleetwood. I have a bit more work to do on mine, but man if your outboard runs good you should be on the water come springtime. Again really nice find on your boat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

That will get ya around the lake for sure !
Btw , garage is ten times cleaner than mine is right now .. :joyous:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Cool boat! Kinda gay garage ... No offense!

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer

I am laughing my keester off at last comment. - Which brings me to true confessions.....
The "earlier pics " were taken in the garage of the fellow I bought the boat from.
Here's my garage......

IMG-20140114-00329.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Well now that looks a lot like a normal garage we all can relate to.LOL!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Love the keg or chair, which ever it's used for. And now I feel better as my garage looks close to yours. The boat really shines nice too.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, now that's more like it. (Wish I had a garage, all's I got's is a craport.)

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer

Love the keg or chair, which ever it's used for.

Thanks guys. the testosterone laced support is just what i needed - or maybe it was the man card.?
Either way, it is what it is. - the keg is used for beer home brewing, if you can see the valve sticking out the bottom.
My son pulled it out a few months ago and its still under foot.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I like the Polyurethane (gorilla glue) It is technically a 2 part glue, the second part is water so if the wood is damp it's good. If the wood is dry you need to mist it and it will expand into the nooks and also some crannies. After you squirt the glue in push it up in with a small brush or putty knife, cover the area with wax paper and then a block of wood or metal and clamp it. Clamping is important.

Use keyword "step pad" or "step plate"

http://tendercraftboats.com/catalogue_fittings.pdf

Boat designs for the beginning boat builder

I forgot to add I like your garage better.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would STRONGLY dis-advise using the expanding Gorilla Glue to attempt to relaminate the de-laminated plywood. IMHO not a good choice for this application.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The nature of the glue. It expands to fill Voids!!! will ply wood you're looking for compression not expansion. When plywood is made it's done so with High vacuum and compression. The Foaming action of this glue leave behind many voids when it's cured and does not provide the adhesion that's required for the muliple plys in plywood construction. Been Working wood for 40 yrs and I LIKE GG but NOT for Re-Laminating plywood. Resin glue IS the way to go for this. If the GG type glue was better the Plywood mfgs would be using it.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

I thought the clamping that GG says is essential provided the pressure and controlled the voids.

I've never had any problems.

Do the plywood manufacturers use resin glue?

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't mean to go off topic, the OP wrote,

""The plywood seems to be de laminated. I can stick my finger between the layers easily, there is no cracking or flaking of the wood. I am thinking about just re gluing the plywood with a polyeurathane based wood glue.

I'm asking for input - so please don't hold back.""

Just my input and I'll leave it at that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The glues used to manufacture plywood specifically have defoamers in their ingredients. GG has foaming agents in it. This should make my point. My apologies to the OP. As I always say, it's your boat and you're free to do as you see fit. These are just my opinions base on my experiences and worth exactly what you pay for them.

Last edited: