1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

http://www.marinetex.com/

Marine-Tex, the legendary high-strength repair compound designed for filling, bonding and rebuilding wood, fiberglass, ceramic, glass, metal, masonry and many plastics. Marine-Tex is manufactured to the highest standards to meet the harsh demands of the marine and industrial environments, and solve many problems for home, auto and hobby applications.

Marine-Tex is a creamy paste consistency that can be applied on vertical or horizontal surfaces, easily fills gaps, and can be shaped to rebuild damaged components. Marine-Tex paste provides waterproof repairs that can be used with fiberglass tape or cloth to bridge holes and reinforce structural repairs as needed. Emergency and permanent repairs to machinery and equipment, hulls, decks, stripped fasteners, piping and tanks are all easily accomplished with the mighty repair kit. Marine-Tex can be sanded or ground to shape, tapped and drilled, and finished with most common paints and coatings.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The water coming out at the shift handle could signal that the powerhead base gasket is torn or shifted. Likely means that not all the water from the pump is actually entering the powerhead.

As for the crankcase seepage, not unusual for a 50+ year old powerhead. The sealant they used doesn't get along well with modern alcohol enriched gasoline, so the sealant dries out and allows it to leak a bit. Might try tightening the bolts around the outer perimeter. I'm not sure the Marine Tex fix will work long term. Proper way to fix it would be a partial teardown and resealing the mating surfaces. Should be able to do that in an afternoon.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ugh... I took the motor out for a spin today and I broke the recoil spring... Does anyone know where I can get a new recoil spring?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can try any of these places:

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Ugh... I took the motor out for a spin today and I broke the recoil spring... Does anyone know where I can get a new recoil spring?

They're cheap. Around $10. You can take the pull starter off and wrap a rope around the flywheel and still start it manually so that you can still use it.

I believe iBoats sells em right here. Or try your local OMC dealer. It's a standard item.

One thing though, when replacing the spring, use safety glasses and gloves. It'll be a lot easier.

And btw, in a pinch last year when my 18hp spring broke and I had no spares I was able to MiG it together. And last I knew it was still holding!

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered the recoil spring and also a new choke knob from sea-way marine. The parts should come in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, since I'm waiting on my recoil spring to be delivered, I decided to see what I could do with that 1956 Johnson 10 horse. I've been spraying PB Blaster in the cylinders through the spark plug holes for several weeks now to no avail. Today I pulled the head off, pulled the exaust port off and pulled the fuel intake ports off. I sprayed everything down with PB blaster and nothing would move at all. I hammered on the pistons (using a block of wood to cushion the impact). I hammered and hammered, but I couldn't get it to budge one bit. I even tried heating the cylinders up with a blow torch... It looks like this Johnson is stuck good. Any suggestions?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Last year I had a '55 (or '54) 15hp that I tried the same thing too. I ended up soaking the entire power head in kerosene (completely under). It was ~$20 for a large container of kerosene and the power head (stripped of all else) fit in a bucket. after a few days I was able to use a block and tap it loose. Unfortunately the rings were too stuck in the grooves to not break em but I did get them out. It's now awaiting a new set of rings (I'm too cheap to buy em so will see if I ever come across some). So I'd give that a try.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I decided to try your suggestion of soaking the powerhead in kerosene. I removed the powerhead and I've stripped everything off of it with the exception of the flywheel. It looks like I need a harmonically balanced flywheel puller and 3 hardened #5 bolts. Any ideas or suggestions as to the best place to get these items? Do you think an auto parts store such as Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts will have it? Or am I going to have to order this and have it shipped to me?

As for the 18 hp, I replaced the recoil spring and all is well. I'm having some trouble with the carb settings though. I start out with both the high and low speed needles turned out 1 and 1/2 turns. I start the motor and bring it up to full throttle. I slowly turn the high speed needle clockwise until the motor runs at the highest RPM's, and if I turn it too far the RPM's drop a little, so at that point I back off. Then the motor runs great at high speed. But once I slow the motor down to set the low speed needle, it starts making mild missfire noises. I think this might be called a "lean sneeze?" Anyway, no matter how much I adjust the slow speed needle, I can't get the lean sneezes to stop. I found a better slow speed needle that has a nice straight tip on it, so I don't think that is the problem. Do I need to take the carb back apart and get another carb rebuild kit or what? It runs great at high speed, but when I lower the RPM's it doesn't run so great. Any suggestions?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You may need to rebuild your carb. The damge caused by the needly may have something to do with it too. Sometimes, if a low speed needle is torgued down hard enough to get the damge like yours has, it will likely damge the seat too.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Or you might have missed a few tiny idle port holes in the carb under the welsh plugs. I'd work on the carb again.

Oh, and yes, you need a harmonic balancer puller for the flywheel and grade 8 bolts. 1/4x20 I believe they are to get the flywheel off. All that will have to come off to completely soak the powerhead.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a Harmonic Balancer Puller Set from Advanced Auto Parts. They did not have the hardened bolts that I needed though. So, I went to Ace Hardware and talked to the guy there. He sold me some grade 5 bolts, but he didn't have any grade 8 bolts in 1/4 inch. He had grade 8 in the larger bolts, but he said it would be hard to find grade 8 in 1/4 inch.

So, should I go ahead and try to pull the flywheel with grade 5 bolts? Or should I keep searching until I find grade 8?

Is grade 5 a hardened bolt, or is that a normal bolt?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Grade 8 are easy to find here. I would keep looking. I think a grade 5 is a normal bolt but I'm not fully sure.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found some grade 8 bolts. I went to another hardware store and they had them. I pulled the flywheel off. Now I've just got to find somewhere that sells karosine and then let her soak!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Good. Kerosene is not hard to find. I bought a huge jug. 2 gallons... Maybe 4, I'm not sure... and then just used a large plastic pail. Afterwards I put the kerosene back in the big jug (slightly dirty) and am keeping it in the shed until next time.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the powerhead out of the kerosene today and tapped on the pistons. No luck getting them free. I sprayed PB Blaster in the cylinders. After a few minutes it ran through the top cylinder, but it just puddled in the bottom cylinder and would not run through it. After some additional hammering on the bottom cylinder, I put it back in its kerosene soak.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I have soaked the 10hp motor in kerosene for a week and a half now. I took it out of it's soak yesterday, but the pistons still would not move. So, I took the powerhead apart. I disconnected the crankshaft from the pistons (bearings went rolling everywhere, but I think I gathered them all up). I removed the top piston, but the bottom piston is stuck. I banged on it from the front and from the back but I can't get it to budge. Any ideas? Perhaps I should start a new thread named "1956 10hp Johnson" because I have run out of questions on my evinrude lol

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's what I did with my 15 and it worked... Still had to bang it though,,,