1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

Thanks for the advise guys! I've already ordered a new propeller, but I'd like to repair one of the props so that I can have a spare. I think I'll try what you said about using JB Weld.

I looked into the AOMCI, but there are no chapters in North Carolina.

Now's your chance to make one. Talk to Dennis, I bet he'll get you started.:D

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice

would any one of you's happen to have a starter and bracket for a 18HP 1964 evinrude or know where I can find all the parts needed to put a starter in it Thanks Bob

tootallofwa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Circlehook, Don't steal the thread. Start a new one.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my new propeller and carburator float in the mail yesterday! I put the propeller on and it seems to fit good. It is kind of funny to look at nice shinny black propeller on an old beatup motor. I will try to post some pictures in a few days for everyone. The prop was $70 and then shipping was $12, so I got it for about $85.00.

My carburator has been soaking in carb cleaner for about 3 days. When I took it apart earlier in the week, I saw that it had a cork float and it had chips coming off of it, so I ordered a new plastic float. Today I put it all back together with new gaskets and the new float. I put it back on my motor and the motor ran pretty good. Hopefully tomorrow I can take it to the river and see how it will run with the new propeller and the rebuilt carburator. There seems to be one slight problem. When I tilt the motor up, fuel runs out of the carburator throat and runs out into my boat. Does that mean that I don't have the screws tight enough that hold the two halves of the carburator together?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Don't want to belabor your propeller problem, but the propeller failure at the drive pin happened a lot because the propeller was not mounted firmly on the shaft.

OMC attempted to help with the Service Bulletin thumbnailed below which also applies to the 18HP motors.

Especially with aftermarket propellers, it may be necessary to shim the propeller nut in order to hold it firmly; Nylon washers available in some hardware stores will work.

BTW, the carburetor will leak if the float valve is not closing properly.

Attachments

• SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    SB 1290 Drive Pin.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't want to belabor your propeller problem, but the propeller failure at the drive pin happened a lot because the propeller was not mounted firmly on the shaft.

OMC attempted to help with the Service Bulletin thumbnailed below which also applies to the 18HP motors.

Especially with aftermarket propellers, it may be necessary to shim the propeller nut in order to hold it firmly; Nylon washers available in some hardware stores will work.

Thanks for the info. How do I tell if the float valve is closing properly?

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tell me if I am wrong...

I think I read that if you turn the carb upside down and blow through the fuel inlet, you should NOT be able to blow through. If you blow through up side up, air should be able to blow through.

Craig

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell me if I am wrong...

I think I read that if you turn the carb upside down and blow through the fuel inlet, you should NOT be able to blow through. If you blow through up side up, air should be able to blow through.

Craig

If this is correct, then I think my float needle is seated because I took the carb off today and with the carb upside down I could not blow through the fuel inlet. With the carb right side up, I could blow through it ... So that tells me that it is seated properly.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the motor out for a test run on Sunday. It ran great and got me up to 20 mph. I was at 21 mph with the other prop. But this one shouldn't break the shear pin! haha Here are some pictures of my new prop:

HPIM1226.jpg

HPIM1229.jpg

HPIM1228.jpg

HPIM1227.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the carburator apart today to check it and see if anything looked wrong. Everything seemed right. I connected the little wire that came in the rebuild kit to the float needle and cliped it on the float arm. I wasn't exactly sure how to do this because the original needle didn't have a wire attached to it. Here are some pictures. Maybe someone can spot a problem.

HPIM1230.jpg

HPIM1233.jpg

HPIM1234.jpg

HPIM1231.jpg

HPIM1232.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

After reading that service bulletin, I think that is exactly what happened to the propeller on this motor because the prop nut was not tight. When it was tightened down all the way, you couldn't get the cotter pin in, so it had been backed off enough to get the cotter pin in. Hmmm... It sounds like it needs a nylon washer.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think my slow speed needle valve is a bit worn. Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think.

HPIM1247.jpg

HPIM1243.jpg

HPIM1246.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Comments, Ideas, Questions, General Observations, and/or Advise are all welcome :D

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The needle does not look so good to me either. I will try to post when I get my manual back tomorrow. It has a detailed carb trouble shooting section with drawing of what a needle should look like. The needle and seat should be replaced at the same time. That I remember.

I will follow this closely as I have 2 18s I am getting up the guts to rebuild!

Good luck! I am cheering for you!!

Craig

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Comments, Ideas, Questions, General Observations, and/or Advise are all welcome :D

If you know a good machinist, he can turn that tip down for you and make it nice, other wise, I would just find a replacement.

I like that old 18 you got there. I have two of them just like it. I just acquired a 58 model yesterday.:D

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I still don't know what is causing the carburetor to leak fuel when the motor is tilted up. The float needle seems to be seated properly. Could it be that the fuel that is already in the carburetor is leaking out? It only seems to leak when the motor is tilted up. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but I'm going on a week long fishing trip 8 days from now and I would like to get the motor as reliable as possible between now and then.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

The needle does not look so good to me either. I will try to post when I get my manual back tomorrow. It has a detailed carb trouble shooting section with drawing of what a needle should look like. The needle and seat should be replaced at the same time. That I remember.

I will follow this closely as I have 2 18s I am getting up the guts to rebuild!

Good luck! I am cheering for you!!

Craig

Good Luck with your 2 18s. They are sure well worth it to fix them up I think. It also gives you a good idea of how the motor works so that if you are out on the water and it gives you some problem, you have a better chance of figuring out what's wrong and fixing the problem, or at least fixing it temporarily to get home.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Having the carbs leak when you tilt the motors up, is nothing out of the ordinary. Those floats and needles are designed to work when the motor is reasonably level. Tilted forward, those motors are not level. If your motor has a good ignition system in it and the carb is adjusted right, it should be reliable enough to enjoy your trip.:D

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got two problems.

Problem 1:

Ever since I replaced the water pump impeller, water has been leaking from around the gear shifter. Does this need to be fixed and if so, how do I fix it?

Problem 2:

There seems to be fuel leaking out of the crank case. I noticed it when I was running the motor without the cowl. When you idle the motor down low, you can see little bubbles of fuel coming out from where the crank case meets the cylinders. I looked in my parts manual and I don't see any type of gasket there. I talked to a friend of mine and he said if there's no gasket, the best thing to do is put Marine Tex on it. Is this the right course of action?

I tried to get a video of the leak, but it was hard to get the camera to focus on it. If you watch the video, the motor is idleing at first. There are little bubbles coming out off the joint. Then I increase the RPM's and the bubbles go away, but you can see a drop of fuel slide down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdcqiyla5M

Here are some pictures of where the leak is:

HPIM1250.jpg

HPIM1251.jpg

HPIM1252.jpg

HPIM1254.jpg

HPIM1255.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Don't worry about the water around the gear shifter. There's a small O ring in there to replace but it's not a big deal.

As for the bubbling at the split case. No, there is no seal there. One uses anerobic sealant there to seal without oxygen. I rebuilt a 5.5 once and missed a small spot like that. I tried all sorts of stuff to stop it from leaking and ended up using a bit of JB weld. It worked great. I have no idea what marine tex is though. Maybe it would work.