1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp

Thanks a lot for clearing that up Chinewalker! :D

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the new impeller and ware plate in the mail today. As soon as I got off work I replaced the impeller and the o-ring at the top of the drive shaft. Then I tested it with the hose. It pumped plenty of water, so I took it out to the river. It ran great! It got my boat up to 21 mph! I ended up breaking the shear pin though. I'll have to get me a new one or make one out of a nail. But, before I broke the shear pin, it ran great! Here are some videos and pictures. The videos aren't all that great. I had a hard time holding the camera and driving and not running into anything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnUjM33DDjk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKMnVHo3zc

HPIM1205.jpg

HPIM1204.jpg

HPIM1206.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Nice. How'd you break the shear pin though? Don't use a nail as it's too hard. You have to figure out why the first one broke.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

57, that should be a steel "drive pin" shouldn't it? If it does have a brass sheer pin then that might explain why it broke.

Hey if you ever do tear that 56 10 horse apart keep me in mind. I need a shift shaft and handle for one :) !

Cheers....................Todd

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I haven't been able to get on here in a few days. Things at work have been crazy lately. Anyway, I have run into another problem. I discovered the reason why the shear pin broke. The propeller seems to be damaged and it allows to shear pin to slide to the side far enough that it loses grip on one side of the prop. That in effect causes the shear pin to only be driving the propeller with one side and I believe that is what caused it to break. Here are some pictures that I think will explain the problem.

HPIM1208.jpg

HPIM1209.jpg

I found a spare shear pin in my tool box:
HPIM1210.jpg

HPIM1211.jpg

HPIM1212.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, so I said no problem, I will just take the prop off the '56 Johnson and put it on the Fastwin ... If it could just be that easy lol. It looks like the hub of the prop is not in the same position on the propeller and because of that, I can't screw down the prop nut far enough to get the cotter pin through the hole.

Again, here are some pictures to illustrate:

This is the prop that was originally on the motor:
HPIM1214.jpg

This is the prop from the '56 Johnson:
HPIM1213.jpg

Original prop:
HPIM1215.jpg

Johnson prop:
HPIM1216.jpg

HPIM1217.jpg

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can this problem be fixed by simply hamering the hub of to prop into the position that I want it to be in, or is this something that needs to be done by a machine shop?

Or, should I try to do something to fix the original prop that was on the fastwin?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Johnson prop hub is spun, that's why it is recessed from the face. Running it will not work, as you will likely get moving a bit then RPM will go up and speed will go down. Time for either a rebuilt prop or invest in a new one...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You link doesn't show a prop.

If you have a propeller repair shop nearby, they might be able to rehub it for you for a lot less than a new prop... I think there are some firms online that do that, too, if you ship them your prop(s).

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will the hubs interchange? The prop diameter is different at the back. But is the hub diameter different. They can be hammered out and back in.. Lube very lightly going back in. Hopefully the bushing is too fat and needs hammered. If it goes in easy it's gonna slip.

Brianjason6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nevermind that..The prop itself is eaten up. Probably by the salt water. The outer rim around the prop hub on the 10 hp will never fit.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it be possible to weld or epoxy a small piece of aluminum in the hole on the original prop that will keep the shear pin from sliding out? Or would that get the prop off balance?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would just fill that area arond in that hollow spot with some JBWeld. In this case, it's going to be a filler, instead of trying to hold something together. Can't see why this wouldn't work and it won't throw your prop off balance.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd use JB weld also. Quick and easy. Highly unlikely it'll be off balance. Not much different than a good sized nick in it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One other thing I might mention too. I believe on the lower unit, there may be a protrusion that rides into that hollow spot on that prop, so you want to be careful and check to see how much you can fill it. Sand blast the inside of it good, to where you have nice clean metal and the JB weld will adhere better and less likely to come loose.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you have an AOMCI chapter near you go to a meet or check their bulletin boards for used props. They would be way cheaper at a meet.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advise guys! I've already ordered a new propeller, but I'd like to repair one of the props so that I can have a spare. I think I'll try what you said about using JB Weld.

I looked into the AOMCI, but there are no chapters in North Carolina.