1957 Evinrude 35hp

livinfulltilt

Seaman
Re: 1957 Evinrude 35hp

It looks as if someone along the way fabbed a new tiller handle using a pipe and welding a u-joint to a rod. While Im sure it could have worked for them just fine, I dont like the idea of the u-joint rubbing against the pipe that was used in its fabrication. Im not sure how much this affects the throttle since I havent been able to have this motor out on the water in full 100% running condition, but I am sure somewhere down the road it will become an issue. Here are a few pics:

IMG_20130120_093558_zps338e7528.jpg

IMG_20130120_093706_zps87f7b010.jpg

IMG_20130120_093613_zpsec88c529.jpg

IMG_20130120_093607_zps4754aca7.jpg

IMG_20130120_093622_zpsbf45f377.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have seen alot of custom mods, but never anything like that, lol!

I guess necessity is the mother of invention as they say, but the tiller handles are still farily common. Im not sure why you would want to go through the trouble of making that.

Post a wanted ad in the webvertize section at aomci.org OR try a salvage yard listed in the FAQS here at iboats. Be sure you get the tiller handle geared shaft, and its matching shaft for the motor side with the deal.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

At least I have something to use in the meantime, lol. I spoke with Napa this morning and I have a set of coils on order, should be in on Tuesday. I hope those coils come with the rubber boots needed to attach the spark plug wires... The gentleman I spoke with wasnt sure, so I guess it could go either way at this point. Unfortunately, Napa doesnt have any Hypalon copper core wire and the only option I have is to purchase a $50 roll thats 25' long. I may just order the plug wires online, I believe I saw a site that charges about .95 per foot, and I think this is a much better route.

kfa4303

Banned

If you can't get the Hypalon any 7mm copper core wires will work. Although, it is getting harder to find stores that carry it in stock. You might want to check some small engine shops.

lindy46

Captain

If you have a Johnnyrude dealer close by, they will have the wire.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Ok, thanks!

And just in case anyone is following this thread, I will post updates as time allows. Picked up the new coils yesterday and they did come with the rubber boots for the coil side of the ignition wires. Unfortunately, I will have to fab up a connector to go inside the boot and fit snug to the pin on the coil, but I think I found a solution for this by utilizing a butt connector that is slightly crimped to keep a snug fit. I havent had a chance to solder these on to the plug wires yet, but hopefully within the week Ill be ready to set points, do a link and sync, and get the carb all cleaned up.

Im really debating how much farther I should go with paint, since the lower unit will still require attention and I am unsure if these new coils will correct the poor performance issues... Id rather it run and look ugly, then sit pretty and collect cobwebs in the corner of my shop.

nwcove

Admiral

Ok, thanks!
Picked up the new coils yesterday and they did come with the rubber boots for the coil side of the ignition wires. Unfortunately, I will have to fab up a connector to go inside the boot and fit snug to the pin on the coil, but I think I found a solution for this by utilizing a butt connector that is slightly crimped to keep a snug fit.

please elaborate !!! you shouldnt have to fabricate anything???

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree, I read your post a couple times and am confused as to what you are fabricating?? lol

Just twist the plug wire into the coil, then slide the rubber boot over the connection. Add a dab of dialectric grease in the coil cavity first.

Then for the plug end, cut off about 1/4" or so of insulation off the wire, fold the wires back over itself, then insert the spring pin dead through the center of the wire. Spray WD 40 into the plug boot, and on the end of the wire, then slide the assembly into the plug boot and you are done. No butt connectors needed here.