Seaman
Re: 1957 Evinrude 35hp

The beast lives!

*Ignition coils look new
*Spark checker showed spark on both plugs
*New champion J6Cs put in with .030 gap
*New fuel/oil mixed. Premium fuel used
*New lower unit oil
*H/S, L/S knobs set as per manual (seat, backed out 1 1/2 topside, seat, backed out 1 turn bottomside) I still need to do this under load though...

Ok, this is where Im going to start needing some advice....

I got her up and running at idle, no stalls, no jumps etc. The idle knob (top) was turned to seat, backed off 1 1/2 turns. At low idle I could seat the low speed (top knob) completely and it would not die out. The fuel pump was added to this motor, not sure if that will make a difference or not?

Next up, the LU was leaking oil as evidenced by the blobs floating in the "barrel". When the motor was NOT running there was water coming out of the "water exhaust port" on the LU. Any ideas as to what this may be? Im guessing bad seals?

I also found that the missing bolt was not sheared of in the shaft housing, so it looks as if *maybe* the threads could be re-tapped...I hope... Otherwise, would a helacoil be sufficient, or should I consider possibly tapping it out to accomodate a slightly larger bolt? Ideas?

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Ok, got the motor out on the boat today! It started and idled just fine, no major issues except for one.

The motor will go in and out of forward and reverse, no issues there. When I go to increase throttle, it does not want to run up at all. The carb adjustment knobs (both upper and lower (high and low speed)) are turned all the way to seated. I know what the adjustments for them are, however, when trying to set them there is absolutely no difference in how the motor runs at all.

I think the max speed this motor was running was equivalent to a 5hp motor. Any ideas as to what could be going on? Dirty carb? Needles not working correctly?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

kfa4303

Banned

Hi livin. If the adjusting the carb needles is making no difference at all, then something is wrong with your carb. As little as an 1/8th of a turn should be noticeable. The carb is probably either dirty and/or the packing are installed incorrectly. Here are some links that should help with the carb rebuild. Pay special attention to the order in which the packing is installed.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/25/index.cfm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm (different model, but same basic steps)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

nwcove

Admiral

it runs with both needles fully seated? you must still be waiting on the carb kit. pressure tank or converted motor? what do the plugs look like after todays run? ( pics?)

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Havent ordered the carb kit, wanted to troubleshoot as I go to prevent buying parts I dont need. I can pull the plugs and take a look, and pictures.

Both needles were fully seated at first, was planning on dialing them in under load since it would run regardless of initial carb setup. As I started to turn them slowly I noticed there was absolutely no difference, small turns turned into big turns and still no flooding out and no stalls. Nothing.

Motor will run up good in nuetral, but as soon as there is load on it, its weak. As stated earlier in the thread, the compression is 110/110, plugs are new J6Cs (gap was double checked - .030). I noticed there is a little wheel on the throttle linkage just under the flywheel that is not staying against another component... Ill post pics of this to make things MUCH easier to identify (Im not sure what the part is called.).

Are pics uploadable directly to the forum, or do I need to use a hosting site such as photobucket?

nwcove

Admiral

with all do respect......the carb is a must to rebuild. and dont just put new parts from the kit in it. clean it...reclean it, then clean it again! if you are still using the pressure tank, i would recommend putting a fuel filter near the engine , just so you dont have to clean..reclean etc etc..the carb again.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Forgot to answer your other question, yes it is a converted motor running a fuel pump. I did try to pump the primer bulb while the motor was running under load, it didnt help at all.

Ok, here are the pics... both plugs are brand new, the lower plug was dirty when I pulled it, top was nice and clean. Also, please correct me on the CORRECT part name for the "wheel" at the top of the carb linkage...

Upper plug:
IMG_20120519_195249.jpg

Lower plug:
IMG_20120519_195318.jpg

Wheel at top of carb linkage, at no throttle applied:
IMG_20120519_195112.jpg

Wheel at top of carb linkage, with full open throttle:
IMG_20120519_195141.jpg

Coils as seen from inspection hole:

First coil:
IMG_20120512_174336.jpg

Second coil:
IMG_20120512_174230.jpg

Looking at the coils (not just the screws...) they look as if they have already been replaced with new ones and the originals are long gone?

livinfulltilt

Seaman

No disrespect taken at all. I plan on doing a full carb rebuild and cleaning (this is for my fishing rig and I will be depending on this motor to go long distances so preventative maintenence is a must). There is also an inline fuel filter that looks nice and clean.

Looking at the plugs, it appears that the top cylinder may not be getting any spark. Just my opinion... Thoughts?

nwcove

Admiral

how long did you run it on the water? those plugs look way to clean( next to no fuel getting to the cyls). you really need to rebuild the carb. ( dont cut corners on the carb, pull the welch plug, run a wire through all the passages, soak it , blow it out and do it again before you reassemble. ) an inline filter as close to the connecter as possible is also cheap insurance for the carb work!

livinfulltilt

Seaman

The motor was ran for maybe 30 minutes on the river, I was trying to troubleshoot during this time. There is fuel getting to the carb, I could see it spraying behind the plenum. The baffle is not installed, was not with the motor when I bought it, so I could see behind the plenum while it was running.

As far as that little wheel goes, it looks as if I am missing a spring? I plan on looking into it in the manual. If you need more pics let me know, it only takes me a couple minutes to go in the garage to get them. I do appreciate the help!

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As far as that little wheel goes, it looks as if I am missing a spring? I plan on looking into it in the manual. If you need more pics let me know, it only takes me a couple minutes to go in the garage to get them. I do appreciate the help!

The wheel is called the cam follower. You can find the parts diagram for your engine at:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=35

It's invaluable for finding the names and part numbers of parts that are busted or missing, or ones that you just broke or lost! And yes, there is normally a spring to hold the cam follower against the cam attached to the magneto plate.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Well, I just finished building a big block V8 and now I need a new project to keep busy. Looks like Ill be digging back into the revival of this old 57.

lindy46

Captain

Just some observations on your pictures. Looks like you may need to do a Link & Synch on the motor. You show a pic of the cam follower roller at wide open throttle and it looks likes it's still riding on the cam. At about 2/3 throttle, the armature plate should be advanced as far as it will go. At this point, the roller should be pushed away from the cam by the action of the rod which goes back to the vertical throttle arm. There is a brass collar on that rod which needs to be adjusted. At full throttle, that collar should push the roller away from the cam until the throttle butterfly is fully open (via the rod). Adjust the brass collar at the point where the armature plate is advanced as far as it will go, about 2/3 throttle. At that point, the collar should just start butting up against the top of the vertical throttle arm. Any further advancement of the throttle will now push the roller forward and open the carb butterfly via the rod and tension spring where the vertical throttle arm connects to the armature plate. You'll see that tension spring flip over at that point. (Clear as mud, eh?)
On the low end of the throttle range, there is a mark scribed on the cam, and as you slowly advance the throttle, the pointer to the left of the cam follower roller should line up with the mark on the cam as the carb butterfly just begins to open. This is adjusted by loosening the two bolts which hold the cam and adjusting the cam in and out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Those nearly clean plugs could indicate a head gasket letting water into the cylinders.
Exhaust may be white and dissipate quicker than the usual 2 stroke exhaust.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Ok first things first...I pulled the flywheel tonight and found one point properly gapped at .020 and the other was touching. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I think proper gap *should* cure some of the issues I was having.

@Lindy, Ill take a look at the things you pointed out. This is the first outboard I have ever worked on, but thankfully I am not mechanically challenged, lol. Thanks for the heads up, I would have missed all that for sure since Im a newb to this style engine.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Would you mind posting a couple of pictures so I can get a better idea of what you are referring to? I have an idea, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks!! Also, if you notice anything else thats missing or out of place, would you please point it out? I bought this motor in this condition, so I have nothing to compare it.