1957 Evinrude 35hp

livinfulltilt

Seaman
First things first.

I just picked up a 1957 Evinrude from another forum member this evening. This motor does seem to have some issues, but I decided to chance the purchase in favor of beginning a new hobby. If anything, this will be a learning experience, however, I am mechanically inclined and comfortable working on motors whether automotive, helicopter, or boat.

So, with that said, here we go...

Tomorrow, I plan on starting with the lower unit. From what I can tell, it looks ok housing-wise (with the exception of some possible water leakage into the oil). Heres whats on the list:

General to do:
1. Build motor stand for 57 big twin
2. Build motor stand for 55 JW-11

Bottom side:
1. Lower unit oil drain.
2. new hex head screws with magnets, new seal washers
3. New lower unit oil
4. Pressure test LU

As for the topside...

This motor is running a little rough at idle (see 1957 big twin rough idle). So heres what I am hoping to accomplish:

1. Compression test. (Previous owner performed this, tentative numbers were 65/60#) I plan on double checking.
2. Champion spark plugs, properly gapped. (Autolite plugs currently installed)
3. Carb clean (looks farely clean...)
4. A fresh tank of premium unleaded mixed at 24:1
5. Tighten all fuel line hose clamps to eliminate any possibility of air being introduced into the fuel side of the house
6. Inspect and replace any and all fuel lines that appear to be cracked, worn, cut, split etc.

For now, I think its off to bed and a 6am coffee start time.

I think this will be a good start for now. Any suggestions from anyone on something I may have missed?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 Evinrude 35hp

That's good you started a new thread as I was about to suggest it in the old thread. I have the parts manual if you want it, just PM me your model # and email address. I'm on the road all day though so wont be able to send it until tonight.

lindy46

Captain

Those compression numbers are about half what they should be. My '57 Lark runs 125/128psi. You need to find out why the low compression before sinking any money into the motor. It will never run good until you get thosee numbers up.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. If you're lucky it's just the headgasket, but if the low compression is due to something else, it may be worth while to keep this one as a parts motor and try to find another one with better compression. The good news is that when/if the compression is good, everything else is pretty cheap and easy to fix. You can usually rebuild the ignition, carb, and LU for under $150.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

I dont mind sticking a few bucks into this motor to bring the compression up. I actually intend on using this Evinrude for my fishing rig, so it will definitely be worth my while to ensure that it is running top notch. There are some hoses, and other lines that will need to be repaired, but I will post up on those when I am able to get it on a stand and start digging in.

Pics to follow.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Do you know if the compression numbers gotten were from using the electric starter...or rope pulling? Thoses numbers are very low! If rope pulled, the motor has decompression chambers to automatically lower compression to help pulling that monster over. Even at that though, number are still low. Let's hope it's your gauge or maybe the head gasket.

Mas

livinfulltilt

Seaman

The forum member I picked this motor up from had posted that the compression numbers were obtained while using the starter. Im not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but when I initially went to check out the motor it was wired and being started off of 12v power instead of 6v. It looks like I should be hoping for numbers around 120-125ish? Is this correct?

Also, is there an easy way to tell if the head gaskets are bad, perhaps something similar to a leak down pressure check? The motor does not look scorched and is really pretty clean considering its age.

What else could I be checking as far as the compression number are concerned?

Im going to pick up a compression tester and a pair of champion plugs here shortly...

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

First of all,fairly clean for the carb probably won't cut it. Get a kit and strip clean and blow out thoroughly.I don't know of a foolproof way of assessing the head gasket without removing it,however a gasket doesn't cost much and while you've got the head off you will be able to see the condition of the bores and whether the rings are stuck up.I also recently aquired a 57 big twin and the coils were shot so it might be worth looking at them too.As you already have the bottom end in hand there doesn't seem to be much else to do as long as all the pipework is done.Good luck anyway.
Geoffwga1.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Ok, got my engine stand built up this afternoon, got the engine mounted on it and am ready to start diagnosing. After removing the cover, I noticed something that I didnt catch at the time I purchased this motor. Scratched in the top of the pull start recoil was the word "COMP 130/130"! Im praying this is still correct, and my fingers are crossed! I do have a compression tester, but I have yet to get any numbers. Im hoping to have some numbers up here either tonight or tomorrow morning some time.

The motor does start and idle, however, while it is idling it likes to stall out. So, I guess in my eyes, starting and running (even rough) is a good start and a good sign so far. I just need to get in there and work out the rough spots. There are some cut lines and hoses that I need to work out, so needless to say this motor is not going to be ran much before everything is properly hooked up.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Compression numbers are as follows: 110/110

I obtained these using the electric start.

I might add that the plugs look like crap...

I did a little research on the forum and found that the best plugs to use with this particular motor are Champions, and Ill be picking up a set tomorrow.

nwcove

Admiral

those are good numbers, and your list is right on !

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Good deal, this will be my first outboard restore/overhaul, so it was nice to see those numbers on the gauge :)

Im just going to guess here... Is it possible to bump those compression numbers up a bit with a new head gasket? Maybe similar to an automotive head? Or is it just a standard one thickness gasket for these?

nwcove

Admiral

dont try to boost comp by planing the head or decking the block, your numbers are ok and should improve with a bit of runtime, a head gasket is cheap if you want to remove the head, and you can check the head for flatness with a piece of sandpaper and a flat surface.....a sheet of glass works best.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

I am planning on doing another compression test tomorrow. I suspect my battery wasnt at 100% charge, so Ill charge it over night and see what tomorrow holds.

Lower Unit:
I did drain out a little LU oil, looked as if some water was getting in there somehow. I may just swap out the oil and leave the LU closed up for now. If I can get the motor running smooth enough to hit the lake I will plan on running it a bit and re-checking the LU oil for moisture. This way I can be 100% positive that there is in fact something going on in there.

It should be noted that both screws for the lower unit oil did not have any "washer gasket" on them, perhaps this could be a suspect?

Idle and Running:
As far as the sputter and stall at idle, I am leaning towards a fouled out plug. Not to mention the not-so-good plug brand thats currently in there...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I usually get compression numbers like that, from my J Dubbs and Lightwins. A 40.5 cuber should blow at least 100 psi to make it run right. I happen to own a 57 Big Tiwn and 55 JW-11. You haven't gotten in my shed in the last ten minutes, have you? :D:D

Yes, you want fresh new gaskets on the plugs, when you change the oil. Part of the reason water gets in, is because of bad, or no gaskets on the plugs.

Also, check over the ignition system.

lindy46

Captain

Put some Seafoam in your cylinders and let it soak a bit, or run some Seafoam in your gas. That will help clean out carbon buildup and may improve compression some. I wouldn't be too worried about 110psi, though.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Ok, finally have a chance to get back out and work on this beast...

I am planning on pulling the pull start and flywheel off to check out the ignition coils. Anything special to look out for when I do this? (other than pulling some nuts/bolts/screws)

Possibly going to take down the carb as well, give it a good cleaning out. What cleaning agent should I use? Im assuming most of you know what works and what doesnt...

Thanks in advance!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Once you pull off the recoil, there will be an inspection window in the flywheel with a cover held on by 3 screws, remove them and you will be able to inspect the ignition system. If the coils are cracked, they are original and will definately need to be replaced, dont bother testing them. To get full access to the ignition system, you will need to pull the flywheel, and will need a harmonic balancer puller to do this.

OMC Engine Tuner works well on the carb. I take it all apart, removing everything, soak it over night, or at least a few hours, blow out all passages with carb cleaner, wash with warm soapy water, then blast dry with compressed air. You will then be ready for a rebuild.

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Just got back from Napa.

Thanks for the reply HighTrim, Ill check those out today when I swap out the plugs.

I couldnt get the carb kit, has to be ordered, I was assuming it would be an order only item (old motor...)

And, unfortunately, I couldnt get the gasket washers for the lower unit. Regarding this gaskets... Is this something I can make locally here at home? Perhaps cut them out of an old oil bottle or something? Anyone else do this?

Ill be checking the coils this afternoon, Im guessing theyre probably a new set since the fuel pump has been added and there are other signs tha this motor has already been take down for maintenence...

livinfulltilt

Seaman

Top drain screw is on there good! Will have to make a tool run...

Found there is a missing bolt on the lower unit that attaches LU to shaft housing, gonna investigate further considering the water that was coming out, hopefully this and the gaskets are the culprit...