1957 Evinrude 35hp water pump seal replacement

Brackenator

Cadet
I have the old seal out and need to put the new one in. When I replaced the prop shaft seal I got it cocked initially and it stuck. Luckily, I was able to get it straightened out, but I can't screw the water pump seal up! Any ideas?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1957 Evinrude 35hp water pump seal replacement

I assuming you're talking about the drive shaft seal underneath the water pump plate???

Anyway, I like to use a socket...a little bit smaller than the seal and drive it in with a mallet by hitting the socket. Make sure the "seat" is clean. I also use a very small amount of evinrude gasket sealant on the outside edge of the seal. Oil the lip of the seal with gearcase lube and you should be good.

Do not whack the seal hard. Make sure it's straight and tap it in.

Mas

Brackenator

Cadet

Thanks Mas for the quick reply. Duh, I didn't even think of a socket! Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. Can I use a little bit of RTV sealant or gasket sealer, or is there something special about the Evinrude seeler? Thanks again.

Brackenator

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I would stay away from RTV and other. The evinrude stuff is non hardening.

Mas

yorab

Ensign

I tried to install my gearcase head seal dry and I had a bit of a leak. I then used BRP gasket sealing compound on the OD and I had no problems after that. I will always use the compound on seal ODs where applicable in the future. Just my two cents.

Brackenator

Cadet

Do I need to put the sealer on mating surfaces of the water pump plate and lower unit as well. There wasn't any on there when I took it off, maybe my bro forgot the last time he replaced the impeller. Also, do you guys like to put a little lower unit oil on the water pump or is vaseline a better choice? Any other tricks to getting this assembly would be greatly appreciated.

Brackenator

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

NO sealer on the plate mating surface. Some like to use a little dish soap on the impeller to make it slippery. Basically, install the impeller with the pin, then push the housing down over the impeller as you're turning the drive shaft in a clockwise direction. The impeller is actually pretty small, so you shouldn't have much of any problem.

Others may "fit" the impeller in the housing, then slide the assembly down over the pin. Either way works with this HP.

Also, remember a new o-ring at the top of the driveshaft with some molylube on the splines...but not the top.

Mas

Mas