Ike report: LF and family are safe.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Ike report: LF and family are safe.

Damn, Ms LadyFish ! ! 4 weeks is a long time. I've been wondering how you and Mr LadyFish were making out. Seeing your posts about your daughter and her family makes my heart go out to them for their hardship and to you and Rod for not being able to be there to help.

Yall take care and keep us posted.

LadyFish

Admiral

Hi all!

Still checking in from the RV and waiting to hear when we can return. Word is it won't be this week. Kids are all fine and have power back on. We never lost it up here in Somerville, thanks to underground lines.

There is chatter on the internet that the reason our area has been completely restricted from the area is due to floating bodies. :(

We are doing better. Just anxious right now to get back and get working on things.

Mr. LF works for the County Enginner and goes back to work Thursday. Hopefully he'll learn something.

Thank you for all your kind words of support everyone. It means a great deal to us.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I just got internet back on. We have no power, only generator power. We have city water.

My house was undamaged, but I was very lucky. Several houses in my neighborhood had large trees crash on them. Lots of roof damage. My four large pine trees were fine, but there about a third in the neighborhood are down. I had one large tree crash on the power lines snapping them, but it didnt damage any structures.

All my relatives escaped damage. My father lost four trees, one crashing on his porch and causing some damage. Another landed on his power supply line, but didnt break it. My SIL lives about 1/4 mile from cedar bayou and about 2 miles from the bay. If the water had risen two more inches they would have had water in the house. It was a new build in an old hood and all the other neighbors had 2 ft of water. They had to raise their house by about 8 ft when they built it cause of the flood plain.

That was one heck of a storm. It blew from 11 pm to 6 am. We had the eye on top of us. We were hammered, but we all survived.

Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

FYI, most of the trees in my neghborhood were lost on the backside of the storm. It didnt let up. Very powerful and lasted a LONG time.

This storm was superpowerful and surprised a lot of folks. Unfortunatley several people lost thier lives due to underestimating the strength of this storm.

It was only a cat 2, but it had the surge of a 5.

Ken

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Glad to hear your safe kenimpzoom. That's the most important thing as you and your family are fine.

From what I saw on the news, it looks pretty bad down there. Something I've never experienced nor hope to.

It's unfortunate the devastation and loss of life that has occurred.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know Galveston well. Me and wife were just there about two weeks ago. We bought some stuff from a store we frequent. We always rent a beach house there. We always have a great time. We go walk the seawall, we eat at Hooters, shop at Murdocks.

We also go to Kehma Boardwalk alot. Great fun place. Wife and I finally found a bar there that we both can enjoy. We were just there last month.

Now its all forever changed. :(

Good luck Mr and Mrs LF. Hope yall can fix it up as good as new.

Ken

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Ken, glad to hear you and family made it through OK.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, some good news there KIZ, let's pray for a bunch more!!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thanks for letting us know the good news. ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Holy sh!te ^^^^^^^ check that out!!!! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, it's like a Nessie sighting except it doesn't happen as often, and she's a she, but exactly the same only different . . . :eek:

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to say something comforting, but I just don't know how.
Love to all,
Nick

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Still no power, but all around us they have power. My neighborhood is older and the power lines are on poles. Fallen trees and power lines dont mix. Newer neighborhoods have buried power lines. Something to keep in mind.

Gas is easier to find now. A curfew has them closing early, or they take cash only. Stores are opening, some grocery stores were open yesterday. Not much chaos here. LIfe is returning to normal. The only thing missing in Baytown is power.

I work in Houston and the building was damaged and there still is no power. We dont expect it to open until Tuesday next week.

The schools here were damaged and they might be able to open next week. Still no power at alot of the schools.

The kids and I are enjoying some time off. I am getting a few things done around the house.

Ken

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Glad things are getting back to normal for you KIZ. I heard the fishes got a bit of good news concerning their property, spared form any catastrophic damage. I'm sure they have their work cut out for them in the coming days and weeks. And their not sure when they will be allowed back in. Others in the area seem to have fared well safety wise, though some will be sporting new wardrobes.;);):).........................................As for the snapper sighting, first post in a year :eek::eek: WOW!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'd like to say something comforting, but I just don't know how.
Love to all,
Nick

You just did - taking the time to let someone else know that you are thinking about them works just fine.

LadyFish

Admiral

A heartfelt thanks to all of you who comforted us with your comments.

Through all this anxiety and waiting, in fact we are still waiting to go onto the Island and do our own inspection of the house, emotions were all over the place this last week.

My daughter had taken some storm pictures and found one she took of our 6 year old granddaughter goofing off with her dad just before the storm that just cracked me up. A little editing overlay and viola. LOL

View Megan and Hurricane Ike
It feels great to laugh.