180 SS New to the Forums.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice job re-purposing that wood DH! turned out really sharp!

Thanks, I really like how it came out. Now I am trying to find excuses to add more pieces like that on the boat.

I know a local place that sells teak and I am tempted to get more pieces to make more parts for the boat. Note, they will likely be added after I get the rest of the hardware finished. I have some ideas for under gunnel support mixed with rod storage. The starboard side won't be of sufficient length for 6+ foot poles, but I could probably store a boat hook, gaff or fish net on that side.

Initially and for expedience, I think I'll probably just start with some under gunnel templates made from plywood, epoxy seal them and add paint.

Finishing the consoles, I have some small amounts of trim I want to add to the front of the consoles to make that carpet wrap look better. I have the materials, just need the time. I also have to wire the gauges, which should be pretty quick.

Some of whats to come:
I've added my own transom saver for my fish finder transducer. The materials I used were a marine epoxy, stainless steel bolts and a plastic cutting board. I counter-synced the bolts and applied epoxy over top to make them permanent threaded rods (and to keep the SS away from the aluminum) for the lock nuts I'll use to hold down the second plate that holds the transducer. I wish I had thought of adding a bracket while I was having the welder fix my bow. This should work. For additional strength, I plan on adding 4200 behind the transducer plate for added flex support while in powering through the water. The 4200 is probably overkill but if I have the stuff, I might as well get it done.

I just did not want to add holes into the boat that might cause a problem. The added benefit, is if I get a new fish finder I can use the old transducer plate I made or just make a new plate and put new lock nuts on the epoxied plate.

Working at a tortoises pace. I'll get the boat done some day.

Last note. I am going with the name Kickin'&Screamin the lettering style I've liked so far is called paint brush.

Kickin because the boats still around and Screamin because 2 strokes don't go along quietly.

I forgot to note, some boat parts came in today (including a new steering wheel). Cannot wait to get that on and done!

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tried out the new steering wheel and it was found wanting. I went through looking at new wheels for about two days and still didn't find anything I felt would work.

So, I decided to restore the wheel.

4B1kknp.jpg

The TnT gauge is under warranty, DOA out of the box. I did test and wire the other gauges and they worked.

ptuUMG1.jpg

I replaced a fuel fitting because I didn't want to cut the ball pump fuel line. I wanted to go with a (to me) cleaner look. I'll post a picture of that later.

Progress continues, I am buffing the boat and adding the new registration numbers this week and maybe I can get it into see a marine mechanic to give the engine a once over.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also mounted the transducer. I took a cutting board, raked the plastic to get it good and rough, drilled a few holes half way through the material (more bonding surface area) and proceeded to use a good marine plastic epoxy. I also added four ss bolts that are threaded and counter synced almost half way into the block. I made sure they are buried in epoxy. This is to avoid contact with the hull and help keep the bolts from spinning.

LEWziaQ.jpg

I made these plates at the same time. To keep this even.

I bolted the transducer to the detachable plate and made sure to 4200 this plate to the mounting plate. The four bolts (washer + lock nuts) are just there to add tension :rolleyes:. I think I over did this just to ensure no holes were going below the water line but I had fun making this setup. I will be adding 4200 around the blocks to clean them up a bit.

The picture below, the cable is blocking the 4th bolt stud. That hole in the bottom corner of the top plate was an oops. lol
It will be filled with 4200.

ZFZl272.jpg

PS. as you can tell from the paint marks, I didn't cover the rollers or the trailer here. I'll clean or replace those later.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice transducer block. I like your design with the second plate because it'd be easier to replace if needed. I did something similar and stuck on a single plate with 4200 and it's held up well this summer, though I don't always get good readings when moving. I think I may need to lower the transducer but that would mean drilling more holes. Let me know if you have similar issues.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah these hulls are notorious for giving bad sonar readings when at full speed, my Ray Marine looses the acurate bottom/fish charting function but normally keeps a good depth reading at full speed although it comes back good around 30 MPH. So don't be shocked if/when you get similar results.

Lots of maintenance work you can do yourself on the motor and not only save lots of time but 100's of dollars in the process.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice transducer block. I like your design with the second plate because it'd be easier to replace if needed. I did something similar and stuck on a single plate with 4200 and it's held up well this summer, though I don't always get good readings when moving. I think I may need to lower the transducer but that would mean drilling more holes. Let me know if you have similar issues.

Thanks! I will definitely let you know when I get her in the water... some day. :laugh:

I made it this way to have the option in case I decided to replace my fish finder. Although, from the charts I saw and the paper charts I use, this looks good to me. That side band sonar is amazing to watch but a part of me wants to be a find it feel it type of fisherman. Hunt those hiding spots out by the look of the water. :fear:

I tried to make the steering wheel look decent and used the original sticker that was in the wheel cap as a stencil.

I put the teak into two part epoxy pour, and I was concerned about the curing due to the oils teak leaks out. It held well, and I added two coats of clear on top to help protect the epoxy.

I am making a list of projects for the winter. I am hoping to get the new reg numbers on the side and get the carbs synced on the OB. Then I'd feel good about taking her out for a spin. My girls would love this one spot that I anchor fish for channel cats. We get non stop action there.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Love the way that wheel turned out DH! the "S" matches the resurrected teak console face...very sharp! :thumb:

Decker83

Commander
I have to agree with CC ^^^ The wheel looks fantastic.. The transducer mount looks like a well thought out plan..:D

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
boats really coming together, Nice work on the steering wheel!

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing good to report at this time. Some sad news has befallen my family.

In September my wife asked for a divorce and then in October my Dad passed away. I am still going through all of this process, it has been pretty tough, I will be back when things settle down. I was really looking forward to going for a ride with my Dad on this boat.

As note for the season, may you guys have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
My condolences DH, sorry to hear you lost your Dad and the family troubles.
Hope things turn for the better. Have a Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year.

Watermann

Nothing good to report at this time. Some sad news has befallen my family.

In September my wife asked for a divorce and then in October my Dad passed away. I am still going through all of this process, it has been pretty tough, I will be back when things settle down. I was really looking forward to going for a ride with my Dad on this boat.

As note for the season, may you guys have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Oh man when it rains it pours it seems. I know how you feel about your dad, I lost my mom when she was only 64. Boat work is a great way to take your mind off of troubles as least it has helped me, that and the guys here at the forum.

Merry Christmas to you too

classiccat

I'm so sorry for your loss on top of the family troubles DH; Hopefully things turn around for you soon.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: The Admiral was dishonorably discharged and my promotion to flag officer is just preliminary paperwork now. All decisions for everything boat, car, house related are now in my grasp.

I need to wrap up some school work and then I can really get things organized and back on task for the boat. I cannot wait to get my daughters out with me and go fishing on the project that my Dad and I started before my oldest was born.

Have a great day guys. More to come.

classiccat

Update: The Admiral was dishonorably discharged and my promotion to flag officer is just preliminary paperwork now. All decisions for everything boat, car, house related are now in my grasp.

I need to wrap up some school work and then I can really get things organized and back on task for the boat. I cannot wait to get my daughters out with me and go fishing on the project that my Dad and I started before my oldest was born.

Have a great day guys. More to come.

Cheers to starting an a new chapter (and new "rank") DirtyHarry83 !

Watermann

We'll be here when you're ship shape again, hope you have calm seas and smooth sailing. :)

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad in July last year too. I had hoped to get my resto done and get out on the water with him, but he had been fighting cancer for almost 10 years and couldn't hang on anymore. Nowadays I dream of getting my 10 and 13 year old out there tubing and whatnot before they're too cool to hang out with dad. I have a long ways to go and it's hard to get motivated to go out in the dark and work on the boat after working all day at my job. Take care and looking forward to your splash!

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
It isn't perfect but the hatches fit snugly.

Here are some photos of the loop webbing I decided to use.

d4VLsHj.jpg

Here are a few shots of the hatches.

xH2cpZP.jpg

IjSp73Q.jpg

My kids love to sit on the bow deck and watch me work in my garage.

How are those bow hatches hinged? photo?