180 SS New to the Forums.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Appleo, those hatches are just compression. No hinges.

This allows me to avoid conflicts of removing contents. The hatches have a tight fit, concerns of having them fly off while under way, are pretty much 0.

I am back to work on the boat now, and hopefully someday soon, I'll get her in the water.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice looking carpet job there sir. Truth be told, if you didn't have that pull tab it would just disappear and nobody would know it was there.

SHSU

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice looking carpet job there sir. Truth be told, if you didn't have that pull tab it would just disappear and nobody would know it was there.

SHSU

Thanks! They were a MOTHER to open without those tabs. I had to leave one hatch open to be able to reach across to open the other hatch from below.

I wanted to go with the SS insets with the latches but I keep thinking about a person sitting up there and then brushing up against SS baking in the hot sun.

I did my hours worth of wiring and testing and got my DOA -> Repaired TnT gauge to work. No photo's yet but it's nice when you turn the key and the thing goes from UP to the current OB position. My daughters of course were supervising me, asking when the boat will be ready. I can honestly say, the nice thing about how long this is taking, is it gets them anxious for the fun and they are hitting a better age for me to deal with listening about the fun/risks of boating. :)

I still have a ton of tools and honestly inventory levels of boat equipment to sort and go through before I can even think about getting the boat OUT of the garage to then buff and add reg numbers. The paint will come back, there are a few decals that are too far gone and I'll remove. I'll debate on what I want to replace them with as it doesn't feel like a restore but more a custo job. She's still a SC but she's getting pieces that I don't think most SC came with in the form of exposed teak and finished wood.
Before I use the built in tank, I think I'll load up my fuel into one of the small red boat cans (brand new) I inherited and run the OB on that. I want to put in a few test runs before I hit up the marine mechanic (I want to drive her first, I know selfish right?). It's been 8 long years now and I just want to use her.

Additionally I have some plans on evening out the engine well space. I am going to rip some sheets of ext grade (7 ply?) plywood down to 2 inch widths, to essentially frame out the back. Then I'll make a few step pieces from the back decks to the top of the frame. I may put rod holders or cup holder inserts here, who knows, just some fun thoughts. The main wall of this back section will be either a slider like some of the late 70s models or I may get creative with a gas hinge door. All of this will be sealed in three coats of epoxy. Then wrapped in vinyl that matches the floor. It'll probably never see water once wrapped so the three coats may be overkill but that's because I don't want water weighing down my wood.

As a point of reference I thought about installing two stern seat inlays but I think I'll just go for the more deck room option and use the optional folding chairs that look great, are comfortable and allow for more flexibility in the boat. This is just a personal preference.

I really love looking at the wood grain and I want to add more teak pieces. I am going to shell some out shekels for that stuff from a local seller of teak (reclaimed). Some uses for the teak ideas, I'll use some cheap wood I have around the garage, and build two blanks for under gunnel rod holders (technically these would help acts as gunnel supports too). Then apply those templates to cut out the teak. I will also add teak foot steps on the gunnels. Pretty sure that'll make it more slippery (when wet) but it will look nice. I have plans for a bimini too. The only complaint with those is when it gets in the way of fishing.

I've been going through and making a costs list but the added savings on my month to month bills at home have helped with these decisions. Apparently due to my new circumstances, my inefficient house is more efficient than comparable smaller efficient homes. Take that!

Heck, I am even drawing up plans of expanding the building (garage) to accommodate the boat so it doesn't worry about saw dust from the wood shop.

That's where I am at right now. Still have some more ideas.

The more immediate work that will be done this week. Two stern cleats and two bow skenes (Yes, they have the L and R's on the bottom. I read someone else's build about that. Trust me it took me some time to think, "why L and R". Damn land lovers! YAR!). I'll also run the electrics for my bow mount motor. I have the tinned wiring (8 gauge, I think) and the appropriate fuse. The plug will be next to the bow anchor locker hatch that can't contain the anchor size needed (according to anchor sizing charts, I still laugh about that.) to hold the boat. So, it looks like I'll be stowing the anchor in the stern, then extracting it when needed. Back to the motor... I have to pull her off with the quick release slide I installed, tape and paint the motor housing, due to just some minor oxidation from the PO lack of care. I'll try and bring back the plastic (careful not to use any restoring stuff that causes a fish repelling or any type of slick.)

I am really down to just some minor stuff, but then I keep adding to that list. I will probably finish this stuff after I've gone and taken her out, just to get a feel for everything. To really know how or what I want in what desired arrangement. Plus, like I said, I just want to use the boat. HAH!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Can completely relate to having the Little Admiral breathing over my should asking when "Her Boat" will be done... LOL
Even with it complete, she always asks when the next time we get to go out. Now if only I could get the engine worked out we can have some worry free runs.

As for the ideas you have for the build, I was there myself, but something to think about is how much extra weight a plywood splashwell will be. I had a custom aluminum one fabricated as I agree the space could be better used.

Keep up the good work!!!!

SHSU

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pardon me. Lots of dust on this thread.
Spent the past two weeks getting the Outboard running and idling correctly. She's running like a top
  • Bought a new marine starter battery
  • Bought a new deepcycle battery for bow mount motor
  • Bought a stern bracket for a dive ladder I inherited.
  • Bought a new sending unit for the gas tank.
  • Installed a new Bimini
  • Preparing to install kicker bracket
  • Installing second bilge pump
  • washing the old girl
  • Ran the fuel lines, and installed the appropriate fuel filter
  • Bought a new squeeze ball for OMC (other had leaks.)
  • Installed the hitch on my car for towing
  • Confirmed gas tank doesn't leak by putting gas into it... It's been a while, so I had my concerns haha
Time will tell now, should be soon. I'll probably just get her out a finish the work I want as I go to avoid stalling my time with the boat. The attitude of live with it and see what you need to add.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
  • Installed a new Bimini
  • Preparing to install kicker bracket
I completely understand the thread getting dusty. Recently been trying to blow a bunch off of mine as well.

Interested in more information on the new bimini and kicker bracket you went with. Two items I've been contemplating for my build as well.