16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Thanks Mitch, hopefully I can get it to his house tomorrow.....this is what it looked like this morning....I just waded through 18" of snow to get back to the house from the shop! I have some drifts that are 4' tall, just read that the highways are "closed"....hmmm good thing Santa is set up for the snow huh?

IMG_2780.jpg

Mick you will be happy, I got close to finishing the trailer today! I got the last of the steps cut out, routered and bolted on!

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

I also took the fenders back off, put some more bondo on the left one.....then ground down the right one and put duraglass on it.

So now I'm down to these things on the trailer for now:

1. Finish the body work on the fenders....this should take the longest of what I have left.
2. Mount the roller on the back of the trailer. I just need the hardware and that shouldn't take 10 minutes.
3. Drill all the holes for the wiring...I can see that taking a couple of hours.
4. Install wire management system...still working on that one. I may check to see what I can get some thin wall 3/8" stainless for....sounds $$$.
5. Cap the ends of the "tube" at the front of the trailer....sounds like a great place for wasp to hang out...
6. I'm still undecided on what to do about this if anything. I'm worried about missing the keel roller and having the bow hit the cross bar.

IMG_2786.jpg

Of course now that I lengthened the bunks, I don't think it will be as likely to happen. David K suggested adding a bracket and two boards that make a "V". He has that on one of his ski boats. I'm starting to think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. What do you guys think?

Hope you guys have a great Christmas!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Here is what I woke up to!

snow.jpg

I did head out to the shop this evening and tinkered with the boat. I got a lot done on the fender body work....I think I should have the top side of them ready for primer tomorrow.

fenders.jpg

Here is my "snow shovel" and transportation to the shop!

tractor.jpg

I also have to say if anyone needs an air compressor, this is the one....this is the "tower of power" of air compressors! Almost 19 CFM at 90 psi.... I can't say enough about it....and its made in the USA!

aircomp.jpg

While I was waiting for the bondo to set up I started playing with a stripe scheme....just a quick thought, any comments?

stripe.jpg

Well tomorrow looks like a full day of boat rebuilding!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here's a couple pics of today?s work. I'm going to start out by saying I am no longer going to try to predict when the fenders will be done! They are close....they just need some detail work....I have used almost a gallon of bondo on them!

IMG_2803.jpg

My wire management idea was actually something I had done before....weld nuts to the frame and run the wire through them. It works great, but I'm still not sure about the "look".....looks more like something you would see on an oilfield service trailer or something!

IMG_2811.jpg

I also worked on the seat / ice chest mock up. I made the ice chest wider to accommodate taller bottles laying on their side. It's getting a little bulky, but keeping the beer cold is what is important right?

IMG_2805.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the black walnut I have ....I'll get one of the hickory for you Mick.

IMG_2812.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I was watching Frisco's video and remembered that I had a wiring diagram that I found on the net. I thought I would post it.....it illistrates a basic layout that I'm using as a starting point. I think before I dive off into it, I'll draw up a diagram so that I have a plan.

2009-06-08_161952_InstrumentPanelWi.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I spent most of the afternoon wrestling with the interior....didn't make much progress on that front, but I did make some on the trailer.....I sanded down the first coat of primer on the trailer fender, it looked better than I thought! Not sure when I will be able to put more primer on....the weather looks nasty.

IMG_2836.jpg

I also cut out the plywood for the triangular area up by the winch bracket, it looks better all ready!

IMG_2838.jpg

Hopefully I can make some progress on the interior this week!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I really liked the centric.....but I think its a little to "star trek" looking for this boat.....remember I am an architect, we think about these things! I pick up some foam scraps from the upholstery shop today....plan on working on the seat mock ups this weekend....not much else to do when its going to be 3 tonight!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well its colder than hell here right now....and my thermostat died at the house today....great timing huh? I put in a new one tonight then went out and worked on the boat for a while. I mainly studied how the back seat frame needs to work. I want a removable bottom so I can have some storage under it. I also need the backs to come out so I can pull out the gas tanks to refuel. I think I came up with a couple ideas I can work on mocking up tomorrow.

I also worked on mocking up the swim platforms. It will give me a good place to attach a ladder and you'll notice that I could put an ice chest on the other one :D

IMG_2872.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the comments! I hope you get to feeling better soon thrillhouse! I have some more interior color samples coming (net storage fabric and carpet coming) Hopefully I can get all the color picked out soon!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I got the old boat flipper out tonight and turned Miss Morgan upside down. Here is a shot right before we got started.

IMG_2910.jpg

I have to thank my friends Big Matt and B-bard for helping with the boat flip....and taking care of that extra beer that I had occupying my ice chest! It was getting dark, so I didn't have a chance to get video....but here is a shot as I picked it up, right before we pulled the trailer out from under it.

IMG_2912.jpg

Here is one with it hanging from the tractor.....love the way it looks!

IMG_2913.jpg

Now back in the shop on the cart I built for it.

IMG_2915.jpg

And here is the trailer in my barn.....looks a lot different than it did when I last put the boat on it!.

IMG_2916.jpg

We have good weather this weekend, so my plan is to work hard on getting the bottom prepped. Hopefully I can get the first coat of primer on Sunday.....and maybe get close to ready for paint by next weekend.....more than likely that is 2 weeks away if the weather holds. Hope everyone else is making progress this weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are the shots I took this weekend of the body work and priming. I took this shot of the vinyl samples and carpet samples before I started.

IMG_2918.jpg

Here's a shot of the body work in progress.

IMG_2920.jpg

Spot priming before the full coat.

IMG_2923.jpg

With the full primer on it tucked back in the shop at the end of the day....with accent colors complements of the Oklahoma sun set!

IMG_2928.jpg

And a side shot.

IMG_2927.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is tonight progress...I need to work on my clauses.....working in an office has ruined them! My fingers are SORE from all the sanding the last few days by hand with a block. The prime coat blocked out pretty good, still have a lot of touch up, but not bad for the first coat.....especially considering what I started with on the bottom.

IMG_2931.jpg

I managed to get about a 1/3 of it blocked out tonight, hopefully I can get the rest done tomorrow night and prime on Saturday.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I finished up blocking out the primer tonight with 180 grit. It looks pretty good, but there are still a lot of little chips that need fixed. I plan on getting up tomorrow and working on the chips, hopefully I can get it primed by late afternoon. Next week isn't looking real good weather wise for priming outdoors. Here are the pictured of it blocked out....looks like it has the measles or something!

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

I also hit the OKC boat show this morning....lots of really expensive boats I would love to have! But having one that you did the work on is a great feeling.....I can't wait to get her on the lake!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are the pics from today. I was really happy with the progress, it looked more like the third prime coat than the 2nd. Here is a shot right before I pushed it out for priming.

IMG_2936.jpg

Looks like I need to get it a swine flu shot! Here are a couple of pics I got of the primer before it flashed, it looked really good wet! (Kind of like Morgan Farichild Mick...)

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

Here is one after I pulled it back in the shop....back to sanding this week. Most of the stuff I have to work on are pinholes, but I'm sure blocking will reveal more issues to fix.

IMG_2942.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is one more shot.

IMG_2941.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Painting is 95% prep.....the painting part is easy! :D

I was just looking back at this time last year....what a difference huh?

bottom.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I didn't have much time on the boat tonight, I need to finish up some work for the office. I did mark and fill all of the little problem spots I found using a halogen light. Finding them is one thing, remembering where they are when you are trying to spot putty them is another. So I marked each one with a piece of tape. Since many are small, I put a dot on the tape next to where the hole was with a sharpie. This made it a lot simpler to get them all puttied.

IMG_2944.jpg

Here is a close up of a small scratch next to the tape. The scratch is to the left....kind of hard to get a good picture of it.

IMG_2945.jpg

I got them all spot puddied, hopefully tomorrow I will have time to start blocking everything out again.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Tonight I started sanding the primer down...I knocked the top off of it with 180....then dried it off, wow it looked great! So I tried going back over that with 400.....ready for paint! I figured I would need to go one more round, but so far everything looks ready to go. So I'm planning on hitting everything with 180, then going back over it with 400 if it looks ready....if it looks good after the 400, its time for a sealer coat and paint!:D Here is a pic of the sanding....not to exciting looking!

IMG_2949.jpg

On the down side looks Murphy is coming to town Bob....the weathermen are going nuts, "freezing rain, drizzle, ice, snow, strong gusting winds.....snapping trees and power lines on Thursday...." sounds like a good time to fire up the heater in the shop and sand! I'm heading to HD tomorrow to stock up on wet or dry and then gas for the generator, can't let anything like an ice storm stop progress!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm using a Urathane system. It won't mater if I do break through some, the entire thing will get a sealer coat before the paint goes on.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Tonight was more quality time with a bucket of water and sand paper! I did make a lot of progress, lightly sanding with 220. I did find a few more minor chips, so I may end up shooting one more light prime coat after I get the spot puttying done. I'm going to block the rest of it out and evaluate where I am at that point. I have plenty of primer, so I might just spend the weekend puttying and blocking it good one last time. Monday looks like it's going to be 50 (1/2" of ice and 4" of snow tomorrow...go figure), so I might sneak out and get a prime coat on it. Here is a pic from tonight, the transom looks splotch because part of it is still wet from sanding.

IMG_2951.jpg

I also need to get started on the paint booth, probably another weekend project. Getting closer to paint!

Status
Not open for further replies.