16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Hey man, It's looking good.
I plan on using that plastic conduct you can pick up at one of the home centers. I have used it in the past and it worked pretty good at controlling those wires, and you can even paint it.

I have a proverb for the old married fat guys too.
Whatever you do don't get caught looking, Wear mirror lens glasses if you want to see tomorrow. :D
Bob

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well for you it's gonna be single guy with nice trailer and nice boat!
Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey I have an extra jack I will send you....I'm sure it will work well on the side of the highway! :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Bob, are you talking about PVC electrical conduit or something else?

micks110

Thanks for the jack! Actually I will be hitting you up when I get to my trailer eventually. It 's gonna need alot of work!
Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok, the day went kind of like the weather.......blahhhh! Made some progress...but back to the store tomorrow to get more trailer parts! I hope you guys did better! Now I'm going to cook a steak and read what you guys did! :D

micks110

Mmmmmnnn Steak! Beat my mac and cheese I had with the kids- kids love that stuff! Today we made a ton of cookies too- I'm feeling the aftermath now of the combo of cookies and mac and cheese:eek:
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

We had mac and cheese too. The kids love it and I have cooked everything in the deep fryer for so long that I cant take it anymore.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I wish you guys were closer, I could have you over for steaks....that of course would probably happen to be on the same day I flip the boat! If no one hears from me on here again.....I didn't make it out of Bass Pro alive! I can't believe I have to go there on the Sunday before Christmas! Well I'm going to head up there right at opening, try to get two bolster brackets and make a run for it! Here is a quick update on what I worked on yesterday. I put on and sanded off a couple of layers of bondo on the fender....I just about have the shape right....just need to put on a skim coat and work it out with 80 grit. The fender was slightly concave in the center....so I went ahead and filled that too. I think they should look pretty cool when they are done.

IMG_2748.jpg

I also found this little grommet at Ace, I think I will use them on all the places where the wires go through the frame. I figure its good insurance for .50$

IMG_2747.jpg

I also worked on putting in the longer bunk boards. I went by Academy thinking I could get the bolsters there....no all they had were the 10" not the 8" I need. So I thought surely the 10" will work right....no, hence the trip to bass pro. While I was working on that, I found out that one of the bunk boards wasn't "strait" relative to the trailer. So I had to unbolt the bracket, then slot the hole with the torch.....then put it back on. Once I had that done I was measuring to make sure I had the boat on the trailer "square". I kept thinking the bow roller bracket looked like it was leaning to the right....I check it, yep square to the channel its welded to....hmmmm.....finally figured out that cannel had a twist in it....so I cut 3 sides of the bracket loose, straitened it out, then welded it back! The last thing I did was mark where the new bunk bolster go....used the old string line method!

IMG_2751.jpg

Oh and by the way?.the bolts I bought for the bolster brackets were too short too?so back to ace! Hopefully today will go a bit smoother!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I'm new at this and will jump in. Great trailer work, Lots of good info on the seacast and foam as well. I've been reading all of y'all's threads for days now.

As for the wires on the trailer I had two thoughts. what about Pex water tubing held in to the inside of the frame with small clamps. it would be easy to seal up and easy to work with. On the other hand with the caliber of this trailer, fitted emt painted with the rest of the trailer would look pretty good!

By the way, what a bunch of Guys! This group could engineer anything!

Don't want to steal the thread, so I won't. I'll start a brainstorming thread over the holidays to see what direction to go in, with my project. I'd like to see you guys there.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Mitch, I have actually been thinking about using "funny pipe", black pipe similar to pex. Right now I think I am still leaning towards the EMT....but I still have a ways to go! I'm looking forward to seeing your project! Let us know when you get a thread started!

I didn't get as far as I hoped this weekend, but I did make progress. I did manage to replace the bunks with longer boards. One of the challenges was how to raise the boat up to get the old boards out.....nothing like a port-a-power to save the day!

IMG_2756.jpg

Once I had it raised up, I slid the short bunk out, and the new one in. I'll put carpet on it once I pull the boat off to paint the bottom. Right now I am thinking red carpet on the trailer......fenders to match the boat (red) silver frame and red pin stripes.....what do you guys think? Here is a shot with the new bunk installed.

IMG_2761.jpg

I also worked on cutting out the plywood for the steps.....right now I am debating on going back to my original plan, rinoliner covered steel steps. What do you guys think?

IMG_2770.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

May I suggest that you round out the corner's on your steps..... I can just image the tirade of swearing wen you round the trailer and scrape or bang a bare leg on a sharp corner.

Looking great!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks! Reguarless if its steel or wood / carpet the outside corners will get rounded off!

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good archbuilder, and you just reminded me that I have a port-a-power sitting in the shop as well. I never even thought to use it when replacing my bunks. Now I can finally get something done on my trailer.

Have you figured out what you are doing on the interior yet? I was hoping you already have the design figured out and mocked up so we can all see it. When you get done with this one, feel free to come over next winter and help me get started on mine.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is going to be one cool setup when you are done with it. I love the shape of the boat and the trailer will look great under it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Vert.....Frog, I used to work in a body shop...we used the port-a-power for everything! I have a couple ideas on the seating...but I want to get the trailer wrapped up first. Hopefully I can get that done in the next week or so.

micks110

trailer--- sigh----- J/K:)
Your setup is gonna be sweet when it's done!
Mick

Friscoboater

Captain

I love what you are doing with the trailer. Did you check out my Durabak?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
The trailer is coming along great. :D
I used a floor jack to change out my bunks worked great too.
sorry I didn't get back to answer your other question about the plastic conduit. I can't remember the name but I'll be in town tomorrow and I'll check on it a nd let you know.
Great Job, catch you later. :p
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Let me know on the pipe when you get a chance Bob....as you can see I have plenty to keep me occupied for the moment!

Frisco, I did take a look at your duraback, looks great. I sent you a PM on it, more or less, does it get hard or is it rubbery? From what you said, I think it gets hard? I want something to put under the splash well to keep the gas tanks from sliding around. I've thought about spray in bedliner....but that is pretty $$$. Of course after listening to your budget, it might not be that bad!