16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Thanks for all the input on the color scheme...I think I'm going to stick with my original scheme.

I have spent most of the day trying to round up parts and make list of stuff I need to get before I paint. I have about 3 zillion hole saws, but of course don't have the right sizes for the instruments! :mad: Looks like I will be adding a couple more to my collection!

I put on max's "tuxedo" today...and here is my latest debate.

IMG_3117.jpg

His stickers are about on their last leg. I'm afraid if I tape them off and paint him, the stickers will come off with the paint.....:( I can't find an original set of stickers...

IMG_3119.jpg

but I did find a place that reproduces them. I'm just a little concerned with how accurate they will be. To compound things, the finish on the towers isn't a high gloss as best as I can determine. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know. So I'm trying to figure out should I spend $50 on the reproduction stickers and see what they look like? Or just tape off the old ones and hope for the best? Need to go by the paint place next week and see what they have for finish options.

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about stripping the stickers and reproducing them w/ paint, either by hand or airbrush? Otherwise I would go for the repro stickers. They may not be exactly stock; but you can't have peeling stickers on a boat that good looking. $.02.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Max looks good all dressed up. I would try to get some samples of the aftermarket decals if possible.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I just ordered the steering and some electrical stuff...hopefully it will get here before next weekend. I would like to have everything ready for paint the following Monday or Tuesday....depending on the weather! Tomorrow I hope to get some sanding done on the top side of Miss Morgan.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would go with the after market stickers and have them throw in a second pair for another $10. All the money goes towards that first set, the second should be cheaper. That's how it works at the place up here. That way you have a second set just in case.

My second thoughts on having them reproduced. Since they are repos, I would match the paint scheme of the boat. So the 115 and light blue line in your silver, and the dark blue line your red. Or viceversa. I would think the Mercury would still look good in white. That way everything ties in nicely.

Looking good arch.

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

so what is the original paint scheme? If you're gonna add graphics to the boat, I like the idea of scallops over flames. I do think, however, that solid colors are more period appropriate.

I am sure you can request a picture of the stickers from the dealer/manufacturer. I agree that you need to replace them. I also like Mick's idea of trying to get close to your color scheme. And having a second set of stickers is a excellent idea even though you will put the first set on perfectly!

I'm finally getting started on my proj. I have you and Mick to thank for inspiring me to get it going.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

the merc is standing proud.:cool:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I e-mailed the seller to see what he would need to put mine together. He has made them for a 25hp, but not the 115. Its the same stickers, just scaled down. I'm going to stick with the original Mercury colors....I'm a purest when it comes to that, don't ask me why! My goal is to have Max looking just like he did when he rolled off the assembly line!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Does anyone know if the in hull depth finder transponders are as accurate as the transom mounted ones? Might be a moot point, since I'm not sure if I left enough room for the in hull transponder. :mad:

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Busy week again, just catching up.

I agree on keeping the top Red. To offset the red, I say find as much chrome and stainless as you can for the trim. Just like those beautiful rings on the gauges. I can just see those sitting in the deep red panel. I like flashy things!:D

As the decals go, If you painted them, the only problem would be original color match. I know talent is not in question.

As far as MAXX if the original is satin, are you going to clearcoat with satin? or stop with the color? that would make a difference on whether or not, or how to paint the decals. (If the repro ones aren't good enough)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure on the finish, its almost like they were a semi-gloss. I'm hoping the guys at the paint store have some options for me on that. I know they sell "flattener"....apparently flat car paint is cool to some of the younger kids....we used to call that primer when I was in high school! Working on the fenders this morning, should have them ready for paint pretty quick. Then I think I'm going to start drilling holes in the hull. I was planning on sanding outside, but so far its still pretty nasty out there.

Donkey

Seaman Apprentice

There is nothing different about hull or transom transponders. The only true benefit is a cleaner looking transom while preventing accidental damage to the transponders. If you can, try and go with the hull mounted. I like functional things like this as hidden as they can be, for aesthetic appeal, really.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Today I got some of the holes drilled and some of the "layout work" done...plus some of the fender work. I wire brushed the fenders around the welds this morning. I had planned on putting seam filler on the joint to waterproof it....but I wasn't very happy with the welds. I had some west systems six-10 left over from the floor, so I decided to put it on the joint where I added the extensions. That should waterproof it and reinforce the welds. The galvanizing on the sheet metal really made clean welds hard.

IMG_3121.jpg

Here is a shot after the epoxy, six-10 is great stuff!

IMG_3122.jpg

Here is a shot of the neat cleats I bought, Attwoods brand. I picked them because they don't rattle....some of the other ones I have seen rattle, that would drive me nuts!

IMG_3123.jpg

Here is a shot of the template I made for the cleat and a hole saw where the marker light goes. I also have a "arc" penciled in where I think the steering and throttle cable will be...hopeful thinking I'm sure....but might as well plan?

IMG_3125.jpg

Here it is with the holes drilled

IMG_3127.jpg

Here is a layout I have come up with for the gauges....not real happy with it at the moment. The blue tape is the edge of the steering wheel, which dictates where the first gauge goes. The speedo and tach are separated by the beam that splits the bow (penciled in lightly) then we have the other gauges. The problem is that you are looking at them sideways...so I'm pondering making angled gauge receivers or maybe hanging them below the dash.....now of course that is all driven by the seats...so back to that I guess!

IMG_3131.jpg

I also have a debate on the front cleats that I will post next.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

once I got to the front cleats, I discovered that if I drilled a hole for the cleats, that they would hit the side of the hull below before they were recessed...at least where I wanted to mount them at the edge of the hull. Now I am thinking about mounting them on the sloping area right in front of the cockpit. What do you guys think? Right where I have the template located.

IMG_3128.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
It looks absolutely great. I really like those new cleats and the position on the front deck. Looks great.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

should have a video up soon that explains things better in a few minutes once youtube gets done doing whatever it does!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice work on the layouts. I like the location of the cleats as well.

Cpt D

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Arch, I love the job you're doing on your boat! For your front cleats, remember that you'll be tying to something at dock level, so you want the cleat as close to the side as the boat as possible or you will have a problem with the rope rubbing. You might want to use a standard cleat up front rather than the pop-up style so you can mount it to the side of the boat. As far as the gauges, figure out a way to keep them closer to the cockpit area. I think you'll end up wanting a glove box on the passenger side. Great place to keep the wallet and the sunglasses or prescription glasses while skiing. My two cents worth. Great job!!
Doug

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

as low as this bow will sit in the water, I think your front cleat location is perfection......

also, knowing this isn't the widest of boats and the limited space you'll have on that dash, I think the location for the gauges is also perfection! It looks great and I have the confidence that its going to be great.......

just my .02:D