16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

yeah the weather sure does put a monkey wrench in things....we just had 1/10th inch rain (most weve had in about a year) so it "poured" here lol
it is kinda cool out....61 degrees....

get the ol shop heatere out...along with the coffee pot and some tunes!
:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well Vegas the weather is always entertaining here....snow one day, 110 the next, tornado the next.....then everything is covered in ice.....never a dull moment!

I thought I had more pics of glassing out the floor...but I only found this one of the mat rolled out...just imagine 3 layers of this wetted out! :)

IMG_2501.jpg

Next was body work, other than the dash and the transom it wasn't bad....just the normal scratches and dings.....I would have taken pics but if you want to see someone who can sand....just visit that famous hull extension project! Here are a couple of shots of the first of 3 primer coats....

firstprimer.jpg

primer2.jpg

Looking sexy huh? Ok here is the wet look! lol! A shot after the last round of wet sanding....

primerwet.jpg

After that I shot one more coat....then it was time to finish up the trailer...then time to flip the hull again.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Man next time we do boats we need to meet and ill do your electrical and you do my foam. Looking great. Any ideas on a paint scheme?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so we are getting close to caught up to what I did today....but first there is more! Here is the plan at this point....get the top half ready for paint, more or less done at this point...get all of the work done on the trailer and have it ready for paint. That includes fixing the tongue, winch, and adding fenders / steps.....but in order to do that I needed to.........................................................................

So here is how that day started out....this is a photo of the "high quality" Taiwan ram that I had on my cherry picker.....I don't use it much, but it still decided to keel over on me....##@%&!@!!!@$%#......

IMG_2604.jpg

So after driving around for an hour and a half I found a "high quality" Chinese replacement. I got it installed on the cherry picker....then spent an hour and a half removing the metal shavings that the highly motivated Chinese worker left in the valve body, oiling it and reassembling it.

IMG_2602.jpg

Yes I was HAPPY at that point, see my smile ???? But then there was the glow at the end of the tunnel....that marvelous piece of AMERICAN engineering! Behold the Tower of Power! (Heavenly music in the background with light shinning down from heaven....)

IMG_2607.jpg

After all the work that made it worth it....even without the cowlings, it just looked right! Looks fast just setting there huh?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Man next time we do boats we need to meet and ill do your electrical and you do my foam. Looking great. Any ideas on a paint scheme?

Right now I am leaning toward going back with the orginal scheme...just seems like the right thing to do....but I'm always open to suggestions.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Right now I am leaning toward going back with the orginal scheme...just seems like the right thing to do....but I'm always open to suggestions.

Flames on the bow :D Google painting flames ;)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Great job on the foam, actually a great job all the way around. Looks good man.
I should have told you that the foam was thin and it will take the path of least Resistance. :p
Overall you did great.
Have fun
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bob and Bob! I'll try to get up some of the trailer pics next.....one reason I need the motor on was to figure out where the axle should be...that way I could get the fenders and steps on....I'll post that next!

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool boat, what did you use to fill in holes and gouges when you did the body work?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I know there are a lot of theories around here on paint and body work, but I stuck with the automotive products. I spent 4 years while I was in school working in a body shop that specialized in heavy trucks. They are mostly fiberglass and aluminum, so not that much different than what boats are made from. I all of the holes or structural damage was glassed up. Anything that required a heavy fill I started out with Duraglass (USG product). Its kind of like bondo, but harder and thicker. After that I topped it out with Bondo. If it was just a thin fill, then I just started out with bondo. After that a high build urethane primer (Dupont). When I would find minor defects while sanding, I would fill them with a glazing filler. Just make sure you get a catalyzed one. There are some lacquer based ones out there that "shrink". Hope that helps. I'm only going to have the boat in the water for a few days at a time. If it was going to be in the water long term, then I would have went more along the lines of some more traditional boat repair methods.

Friscoboater

Captain

WOW!!!!! I thought I was moving along. That is some awesome work!!!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

My suggestion for paint with a boart that looks that sleek is black with maybe flames or some other graphics. Are you spraying urathane or acrylic? My suggestion would be urathane. I used it on my T bird and it is standing up great. Pluss you can sand, buff, and recoat it at anytime. Great job. I love the look of that boat.

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well Vegas the weather is always entertaining here....snow one day, 110 the next, tornado the next.....then everything is covered in ice.....never a dull moment!

Don't you just love this Oklahoma weather? When you get this done I have to see this in person. Any chance you go out to Lake Thunderbird?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Frisco, I'm not really moving that fast...just getting you guys caught on my progress over the last year. Things will slow down some....the thread is just about caught up to where I am to date....but hopefully things will move along nicely this winter! Your boat is looking great by the way! Do yo ever make it up to Texoma? Maybe one weekend next summer we can meet up and compare notes!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum, it will be a urethane, the strait acrylic doesn't have quite the durability. I'm not too sure about flames....but it is an idea! We will still have some time to ponder it over the next few months. I'm leaning towards using a black base coat, then suspending red metallic flake (house of color, huge flake, similar to size as a metallic gel coat) in a clear coat....then building up the clear....anyhow who knows what I will do 2 months from now. If you have any more suggestions send them my way!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frog, usually I'm at Eufaula (have a place there), but I'm planning on keeping this one at the house. One of the reason I wanted to rebuild it was because of how easy it would be to take it lake hopping! My Sea Ray is a bit much to drag around to a different lake every weekend. (it stays at Eufaula in the summer) Keep in touch and we can hook up when things thaw out!

Friscoboater

Captain

Thanks Frisco, I'm not really moving that fast...just getting you guys caught on my progress over the last year. Things will slow down some....the thread is just about caught up to where I am to date....but hopefully things will move along nicely this winter! Your boat is looking great by the way! Do yo ever make it up to Texoma? Maybe one weekend next summer we can meet up and compare notes!

My family had a lake house on Texoma at Grandpappy point up until 10 years ago. So I spent many a weekend up there trolling the depths for striper, and hanging out on the islands. There are many fond memories for me on that lake. Sadly it has been that long since I have been up there. I told my family that we are going to get up there next year so they can see what a great lake it is.

For sure we will have to get together. Maybe System-f and clockwatcher will come up too.

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Archbuilder... the family and I love going to Eufaula, I have several family members that live there. Buddy of mine has a place there to and we usually have about 5 familys that hang out there. We try to hit that lake as much as possible. This will be the first year we have our own boat to. Maybe we will see you around this year.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Frog where are they on the lake? I'm down by the dam on the north side...a couple miles west of Pourm Landing.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sounds good Frisco, the more the better! I have only been on Texhoma a few times. One of my buddies used to have a 37' Sea Ray cruiser down there. I was always amazed at how much fuel that thing gulped down! Anyhow that sounds like a plan....but I guess we need to get the boats back together first huh?