16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
1,707
16ft Munro Fiberglass runabout. Making some progress on the floor & hull re-work: <br /><br />When I removed a section of the floor, I found rot as expected. What I am curious about is the gap between the stringers and the hull. It seems the stringers don't actually touch the hull at mid-span, instead they are supported by 'legs' made of fiberglass. I'll assume this was done to minimize the moisture contact with the bare wood. Was this a common manufacturing practice?<br /><br />Rotton cross member<br /><br />The stringers are not fully encapsulated in resin/fiberglass. There is a sequence of 6" fiberglass strips draped over the stringers, which then get expoxied to the hull and behave as 'legs'.<br /><br />Stringer support 'legs'<br /><br />When I replace this floor, should I use stringers made from resin soaked 3/4" marine ply standing on edge instead of dimensional lumber?<br /><br />For more photos, check out the link in my sig.<br /><br />I'm not sure what is the best approach to take from this point. I'd like to have a solid floor & transom, without spending all of my life's savings. I have removed the top deck already.
 

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Aug 16, 2003
Messages
12,072
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

AMD, can't imagine why the stringers would not have been anchored to the floor. It would seem to me that anchoring at a few points would increase the stress on the hull. I'd be inclined to saturate them with epoxy, glue 'em down firm and cover them with glass.<br /><br />As far a the material choice, I'd go with dimensional lumber. Whereas laminated plywood would be technically stronger, I think it would be a moot point in a 16 ft boat. The only way I would bother to use ply is if you can't find dimensional material of the proper size.
 

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
1,707
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

Thanks for the advice Boom. Do you think PT 2x6 covered in PT 3/4" ply would be the way to go then?
 

G DANE

Commander
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
2,476
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

PT 2x6 laminated with 3/4" ply would be fine if you were building a tank. A lot less could do it, try to look at jasonj's fine silverline site.
 

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
1,707
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

lol... sorry I meant 3/4" ply FLOOR...not laminated. No tanks around here.<br />The 2x6 was for the stringers, to replace existing 2x4.
 

G DANE

Commander
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Messages
2,476
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

Tha way it was done, the fastening of stringers to hull would only take advantage of a fraction of the strength there is in solid 2"x4". I dont get why they made shortcuts like that. Better use something smaller and encapsulate it all the way to hull, would be a lot stronger all in all. Way more rot resistant too. Be sure to get DRY wood or ply.
 

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
1,707
Re: 16 Munro Caprice - Stringers

Where's the best spot to read up on fiberglass techniques, and requirements for cloth & fillers etc? I'm eager, but somewhat naive as to the exact process and material requirements (epoxy/cloth/filler). Learning is half the fun I guess. I need to purchase supplies within a day or so, and hope to get the new floor in this coming weekend. Have a local source for fiberglass supplies and marine plywood.
 
Top