14' Sears Aluminum boat restore...(1969)?

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm new to Iboats.com My name is David. I got this boat, trailer and motor as a Christmas present from my mom.

Looking to add:
Padded seats
Anti-slip floor
Bass Boat style deck up front
4 Fishing rod holders
and a few others..

This boat is heavily oxidized, but I found out that if I use steel wool pads it comes off, but not very easy. The boat has a lot of surface area. Looking to find a steel wool buffing pad if its possible..Or any suggestions... Will be fishing in Barnegat bay, NJ...

Don't know much about sears motors. If you guys know any info please help me out...

Thanks _D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14' Sears Aluminum boat restore...(1969)?

I fixed your pictures links.

Looks like one of the older Sears boats that were made by Alumacraft. Great boats! My uncle has one of the Sears ones and my dad just got a Alumacraft that looks very similar to yours. We took it out on a test run on a ridiculously choppy day when we should have stayed home. It handled it really well for a small boat.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hiya David,

Sheesh you know your momma loves you when she gets you a boat for Christmas! Lucky You!

As for polishing that bad boy...nobody goes to greater lengths to polish aluminum than the folks who own vintage Airstream trailers. Here's one link to a site that talks about that:

http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/

You can google "airstream trailer polishing" and you'll have enough reading to keep you awake for weeks.

Once; on e-bay I saw a boat like yours for sale that had been all polished up. It was beautiful, but I'll warn you...it's a thankless job as the aluminum will quickly oxidize again.

As far as your motor goes...when it comes time for you to re-power, I'd suggest you go with a Johnson or Evinrude 9.9. They're awesome engines that will run forever if you take good came of them.

Have a lot of fun with your boat; always stay safe.

Chuck

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know she does. :) ...Thanks for all the info and stuff..I'm looking at a 86' Suzuki 15 hp. But it needs a new rebuilt Carb to start. Should I look into it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do a compression test on it. If compression is good....generally all else if fixable.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK... i do not know anything about compression testing. how do u do it?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK... i do not know anything about compression testing. how do u do it?

Buy a compression gauge.
Remove a spark plug, screw in the gauge, and crank the motor a few times. I generally avoid project motors. I don't trust ones billed as an easy fix. If it's really ever anything simple and easy to get a perfect running motor and they supposedly know what the problem is, they would've done it themselves to double the value of the motor for a small investment.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nice fishing boat.

We will guide you through the boat portion here in the restoration section and there are many people here who have polished up their aluminum boats, painted them and re-designed them too. Check out the Completed projects section http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407 for a few aluminum boats that have have been re-designed.

The best place for your outboard questions is in this section here http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Your present outboard may fit your needs just perfect. The primary problem for the older outboards is carbon build-up which jams up the rings and drops compression. Read up on maintenance, de-carb, impellar and basic tune up

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erikpn-Thanks for the advice. The motors got me hooked, as its a 15hp suzuki, but it needs the carb rebuit. The guy himself said he will sell the motor to me for 150$ plus the new carb price..so i dont know what to do..

Bob_VT- Thanks for the links. And the reason im looking for a new motor/bigger motor is because i cant trust the Sears Ted Williams... Its the most unreliable piece of **** ive ever owned-I launch my boat 3 miles away from my house on the water. I dont want to be rowing home every single time.....

Bananaboater- Thanks for the link. Have been looking at many aluminum cleaners such as SHARKHIDE e.t.c. Just dont know what to get. Ive tryed steel wool, works great on the oxidation. Although I dont want to do the whole boat by hand. Im looking for a Steel wool buffing pad. Ever see one? Know where i can get one of these?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

David I just googled Barnegat Bay NJ.....that looks like a really great place to fish. What sort of fishing do you do there?

Chuck

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really nice place to fish all over...Lots of species in there. I usually go for small blues, sea bass,fluke, croakers,occasional striped bass, weakfish... U name it..some crabs here to, but 5 years ago they started to be overfished or something, cant catch a keeper. many people keep the small ones...I have a house on the barnegat bay..

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

You can quickly remove years of crud from an aluminum boat using spay on oven cleaner. Needs to be done out in the hot sun so the metal is hot. Spray it on and use a good brush to work it in and let it soak . Then lots of water and a BRUSH to wash it off and you will be surprised how well it cleans.

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks...might buy some gords or sharkhide

starcraft69a

Seaman

I recently did a 12' seaking try the oven cleaner first you will be suprised how well it will work, just make sure you scrub and scrub it clean after. then you can take it down to local truck stop that has alluminum wash out at the truck wash they will spray it down with high pressure wash. now you are lookin good, but not done yet you need to put a alluminum wax or purtectant or it will oxidize very fast. As for the motor johnson 9.9 or 15 hp are so dependable.

P.S. walk up to MOM give her a big kiss and hug and tell her you love her. And when she ask whats that for tell her just because you do

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently did a 12' seaking try the oven cleaner first you will be suprised how well it will work, just make sure you scrub and scrub it clean after. then you can take it down to local truck stop that has alluminum wash out at the truck wash they will spray it down with high pressure wash. now you are lookin good, but not done yet you need to put a alluminum wax or purtectant or it will oxidize very fast. As for the motor johnson 9.9 or 15 hp are so dependable.

P.S. walk up to MOM give her a big kiss and hug and tell her you love her. And when she ask whats that for tell her just because you do

Thanks for the advice!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Davey nice little rig and welcome to iboats:)

I have been working on a 12' AeroCraft and I love the little rig for its ease of use and shallow draft. Aluminum fishing boats are sweet and well worth restoring, good luck with your project:D

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deffinately! Especially where i live its perfect.. and thanks good luck to you to :).