12' Jon boat project help/ideas

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 12' Jon boat project help/ideas

How many cans of Great Stuff did you get? Rigid sheet foam is a much better option, you can probably get it the same thickness as the ribs inside your boat and it will help support your decking and go with a thinner plywood like 3/8".

There isn't enough foam in one of those cans of great stuff for diddle, which makes it very expensive to use for floatation foam.

And thats why im on this forum. Thanx for the advice. I just did some looking, would isulation foam work? I can get it localy at Lowes

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

And thats why im on this forum. Thanx for the advice. I just did some looking, would isulation foam work? I can get it localy at Lowes

nevermind i answered my own question

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

how should i go about mounting the wood floor to the bottom?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's the stuff you want, rigid sheet foam insulation.

Measure the how high the ribs stick up in your boat and buy the thickness that comes the closest, but if all they have is 3/4" and your ribs stick up 1-1/2" you can just double the 3/4".

How do you plan to fasten the decking down, screws?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

That's the stuff you want, rigid sheet foam insulation.

Measure the how high the ribs stick up in your boat and buy the thickness that comes the closest, but if all they have is 3/4" and your ribs stick up 1-1/2" you can just double the 3/4".

How do you plan to fasten the decking down, screws?

The only way i would know how is to screw it into the ribs. good idea or no?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The only way i would know how is to screw it into the ribs. good idea or no?

That'll work, just use stainless steel screws... self drilling/tapping if they have them, you should be able to get those at Lowes too.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

That'll work, just use stainless steel screws... self drilling/tapping if they have them, you should be able to get those at Lowes too.

Thanx for all ur help Jig, their are still some good people left. Another question tho. I kinda wanted to make a side wall in the boat with storage inside. since the sides of the boat bow out a lil anyways its kinda wasted space. If i were to do this how would i mount it to the bout? Dont like the idea of screwin into the side of the boat. Could i use some type of L bracket and rivet it to the sides and screw the wood on that?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanx for all ur help Jig, their are still some good people left. Another question tho. I kinda wanted to make a side wall in the boat with storage inside. since the sides of the boat bow out a lil anyways its kinda wasted space. If i were to do this how would i mount it to the bout? Dont like the idea of screwin into the side of the boat. Could i use some type of L bracket and rivet it to the sides and screw the wood on that?

You could use aluminum angle riveted to the sidewall of your boat, and you could use some angle to fasten it to the deck too. Use 1/2" plywood and don't store anything heavy in it, weight distribution will be a big balance factor in your boat. If you're going to operate the motor from the starboard side, mount the box on the port side.

Are you going to paint the plywood with the bed liner too? If so, paint both side and all 4 edges before you screw it to the boat. It'll last a lot longer that way.

Ned L

Commander

Looking good/ The styrofoam that is under the seats is enough to keep the boat afloat if something happens and it swamps. (Or at least I'll bet the boat was built with foam under the seats sufficient for that.)

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

You could use aluminum angle riveted to the sidewall of your boat, and you could use some angle to fasten it to the deck too. Use 1/2" plywood and don't store anything heavy in it, weight distribution will be a big balance factor in your boat. If you're going to operate the motor from the starboard side, mount the box on the port side.

Are you going to paint the plywood with the bed liner too? If so, paint both side and all 4 edges before you screw it to the boat. It'll last a lot longer that way.

Ya I don't plan on storing anything heavy in it. Just like life jackets rope tackle ect. And I was thinking bout just putting some bedliner around the existing rivets under the wood then painting all sides of wood and carpeting it

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

Looking good/ The styrofoam that is under the seats is enough to keep the boat afloat if something happens and it swamps. (Or at least I'll bet the boat was built with foam under the seats sufficient for that.)

Thanx Ned

Ned L

Commander

Looking good! Yes, you should be able to put your hand up under the seats & feel styrofoam. That is enough to keep the boat afloat if you get swamped.