12' Jon boat project help/ideas

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone brand new to the site. Well I've been scrolling through the forums for about a week now, first post. I inherited my grandfathers 12' flat bottom years ago and just finally got the motivation to start workin on it. (taking pictures start to finish) So the boat has absoluly nothing added not even registration stickers. I have no idea what year it is but I do know it's pre 77. Cause the trolling motor that came with it that he had wa a 77 gamefisher (that no longer works). I have plenty of questions but won't ask them all right from the get go.
I bought a used motor off craiglist. The guy had for years never ran or worked on it, said it was a 5hp gamefisher. (the cover was painted and no modle number anywhere) I ended up buying it cheap hoping it was only minor things to work out. Came to find out after some research that I'm pretty sure it's the 3hp either gamefisher or the tanaka, which I know r the same. After taking the cover off I see it's white under so I'm leaning towards tanaka. Anyways I put some mixed gas in changed the plug changed fuel lines replaced the pincock with separate shut off and filter and pulled the carb and cleaned it all up. Hit it with a lil starter fluid first pull and it tried to start, second pull... Getting closer. Did a couple of adjustments and 3rd pull..... BINGO !!! Fired up stayed running, a lil rough but some more fine tuning and presto wammo I got a cheap 3hp motor that starts up and stays running and responds to throttle nicely. Now for some questions. How will this lil motor hold up? I would like to put a wood floor on the boat and 2 possibly 3 guys in it to fish. I know not to add too much weight, but how do u think it wi do? I'm not looking for a speed boat
That's all for now I'm open to any and all suggestions

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 12' Jon boat project help/ideas

Pics first, so we can see what you have to work with on the boat.

The motor, you should change the impeller if it's water cooled and change the lower unit lube. It will push your boat, but very slowly... and the more weight you have in the boat the slower it will go.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Try to avoid using starter fluid/carb cleaner on a 2cyl OB, even a cheap one. Instead use some 2cyl mixed gas in a mist bottle as a starting aid/primer.

A 12' w/ a 3hp sounds small for 3 guys fishing gear/coolers etc & the added weight of a wood deck. Esp if in moving water...

Use photobucket for pix.

Might try to find a comparable boat, and see what it's capacity rating would be, motor rating too.

Welcome to Iboats.

Great to hear you're planning to keep your grandfather's boat for a good bit longer!

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

Wow quick responces! I'm using iPhone so bare with me. As far as pics i was hoping to be done with the project before posting on here. Couldn't wait that long before I decided to get some extra input. So when I get time to get on my pc and upload them u can see the project. As far as a new prop how big could I go? I do plan on changing the gear oil too. Why avoid starter fluid?
If u can't tell I'm new to the whole boating world, this will be my first one. And I'm not even hardly ever around boats. I've been hunting and (bank) fishing my whole life

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

And also I've seen alot of vids on YouTube 3-5 hp motors on 10-14' jons that push their boats around pretty well. Like I said I really don't care for speed as long as I can get to my fishing spot, drop the trolley motor and fish that's all I care about. It would be mostly for lake fishing. It does get pretty big out in the middle but I plan on sticking closer to the banks

jbcurt00

Staff member

As far as a new prop how big could I go?
If you're referring to the IMPELLER that Jig mentioned above, it's the water pump (if the 3hp is water cooled, it may be air cooled) not the prop. I doubt there are many props to choose from to fit your motor, but I could be wrong...

Looks to be AIR cooled not water cooled, from here

I do plan on changing the gear oil too. Why avoid starter fluid?

It 'rinses' the 2cyl engine lubrication oil (from the gas) off the cylinder walls, pistons & rings. Really not good in any 2cyls, but air cooled, any excess heat can be bad.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My buddy has a 14' flat bottom that we use to go duck hunting sometimes and with 3 guys and gear the 10hp pushes it along at a painfully slow pace. Just a little perspective. I would move up to atleast a 10hp. Now that the 3hp is running you might be able to sell it and put that money towards a bigger motor. Just my .02

EDIT: It was a double wide 14' and while we werent fishing , it was slightly cramped with cooler , shotguns(comparable to a fishing pole?) and a backpack for each of us.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

If you're referring to the IMPELLER that Jig mentioned above, it's the water pump (if the 3hp is water cooled, it may be air cooled) not the prop. I doubt there are many props to choose from to fit your motor, but I could be wrong...

Looks to be AIR cooled not water cooled, from here

It 'rinses' the 2cyl engine lubrication oil (from the gas) off the cylinder walls, pistons & rings. Really not good in any 2cyls, but air cooled, any excess heat can be bad.

Aww I see, makes since. Guess I was reading too fast thought i saw propeller not impeller lol .

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

Motor update. It is indeed the tanaka 300. after a lil sanding i can see the colors now. not sure on year tho. it has stop button on side near back behing the carb, not on the front. any ideas?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

thanx endless hours of searching through forums... amazing what you can find when yout looking for it

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

So another question since boat and trailer have no pinks or reg numbers how do I go about getting them registered in California ?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I can't comment in Cali but in Texas if it has never been registered you take a pic of the Hull ID or a rubbing along with a statement of fact that it has never been registered to the Parks and Wildlife office with the title paperwork and they will title and register it for you.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You need to read thru this

This

And this

Then call the correct agency & talk to a live person*, and perhaps go & SEE a live person* at the respective agency. Some states boats are Fish & Wildlife or Div of Nat Resources, and trailers are DMV (or equal)....

Be sure to ask LOTS of questions & follow up on both the boat & the trailer. In WV, untitled trailers were much more of a PITA then untitled boats....

(*in WV it's the DMV, so they may or may not resemble 'real' or 'live' people, and didn't always ask for or accept the same info as another clerk did the day before) :sleeping:

Ned L

Commander

When I was growing up one of the boats we had for knocking around in was a 12' "john boat" with an air cooled 2hp outboard and they made a perfectly serviceable combination. Won't win any speed contests, but it will get you there & back. (Though when were were kids we actually did get my little sister up aquaplaning behind it.) - I will agree that 12' could be a bit tight for three adults - better stick to ponds, small flat lakes, etc. when loaded like that. - We used it on a tidal salt water river just fine.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys for the addition info.. fyi the reason i said maybe 3 people was cause ther is a spot at the back of the lake i love to bank fish and ther is a lil beach to play horseshoes bbq have a fire and just hang out.... problem is ther is no road close, we have to hike in bout a mile and cross a creek to get to the spot. I was hopeing id be able to shuttle a person or two at a time to the back and troll around in that cove on the boat while others could hang out and bank fish/drink.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

More questions ... spent last night and today painting the motor cover and cleaning up the motor. When I fire up the motor now it runs but when i back the throttle off it bogs and dies. Then it wont start again unless choked. I can run it half throttle fine but if i go to high or to low it wants to die. Any suggestions?