12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12' 1960s Aerocraft restoration

Hey HA

Go the HF and spend $20 and get this. You won't Believe what your aluminum will look like when you polish it with this rouge. It will shine like Chrome!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piece-aluminum-polishing-kit-98707.html

image_4167.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's what I'm planning on using as a seat base for the bow swivel seat. This Arauco is some great material.

I've also gotten much better at using the right blade for the right type of cut on my jigsaw.

Two toy guns modeled after Star Wars weapons, by request from my two boys, have kept me challenged too.:)

AeroCraft%20023.jpg

AeroCraft%20022.jpg

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

The Loon is lookin' good!! I'm having starter issues with mine right now' or I'd be out fishin!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Trailer work today!

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20142.jpg

I removed the two pieces of small chain that sufficed as a safety device up until now. I will drill two holes thru the tongue and attach heavier gauge chain so it will work if needed.

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20144.jpg

These pieces all got removed so we can paint. This trailer will most likely be used for a 14' Starcraft or a flat bottom rig in the future, so I want to get the entire thing painted so when the hardware is adjusted it won't look stupid.

I also removed the two old "bunks" and they made it into the fire pit before I got the camera out.

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20143.jpg

I took all the rope out that served as a capable but slightly deficient cable. I'm leaning towards keeping this bow stand but buying a new winch and cable. Not sure how great these welds are but things seem pretty solid. Time will certainly tell.:)

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20145.jpg

The old 1955 Johnson is gonna get some attention soon as well.

I removed the cowling and can't wait to clean it up and take a look at the workings. I do need to get a manual before I take a wrench to it of course.

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20141.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Epoxy resin curing on the middle bench piece and the transom. I used the resin to fill a void.

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20140.jpg

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20139.jpg

Boat%20resto%20winter%202010%20138.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a link to your motor's Parts Manual. It has schematics that will show you how everthing goes together. You can probably get one of the iBoat members in the motor section to send you a copy of the manual for that motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/376397/37639700001.htm

Thanks WnG, good info there. BTW I am waiting on some Epifanes clear varnish, is that what you have used in the past?

Based on the reviews it seems to be the best around, thanks for the tip:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have several good friends that own Classic Chris Craft wood boats from the 50's. They won't use ANYTHING but Epiphanes on those beauties. I figure if it's good enuogh for a $40,000 dollar classic it's good enough for me and my outdoor projects. I use it on my Outdoor Patio furniture and it lasts a LONG time and is HIGHLY UV resistant.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Still working on the trailer...

This piece was tough to remove. Those bolts had been on there, rusting for decades.

AeroCraft%20026.jpg

Roller and bunk brackets removed, sanded with random orbital.

AeroCraft%20027.jpg

Primer coat over the bare metal that was exposed.

AeroCraft%20028.jpg

AeroCraft%20030.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

While I was working the UPS truck stopped by and dropped off the Epifanes varnish.

And I just happened to have another high-quality Dutch export on hand.:)

AeroCraft%20031.jpg

Here's the trailer after spraying it with a gray Ace hardware rust-resistant paint. It should have a little gloss and do a decent job protecting the old contraption. I checked a few stores for Rusto, but didn't feel like driving to the big-box retailers tonight.

It's my youngest son Braden's birthday, he is now 3!!! :D:D

He is more excited than his older brother to get out on the boats this year, and I will be happy to oblige him:)

AeroCraft%20033.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey Braden,

happybirthdayrh6.gif

Oh yeah, H.A. the trailer is lookin good!!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, I can't believe you are posting more photos of Roz doing all your work for ya! You know you are going to catch heat for that!:eek:

Yah, "contraption" is surely one way to describe that mid evil, dark age, torture device turned boat hauler;)

Happy Bday to Braden!:D:D:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

WnG thanks for the birthday wishes, Braden liked that very much:)

Jason, I did all the prep sanding, and took a small break to go get the camera.;)

The paint seems to be ok, I checked it this morning and it looks pretty good. We put on two light coats, and might leave it at that.

Now I need to pony up $75 and get it weighed to keep the state of Michigan happy.

The wiring is always fun too, looking forward to that.:D

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

After one day the paint looks pretty good on the trailer. It's a semi-gloss, and I might want to add some grip enhancement for walking on the tongue. If you could see some of the places I launch this little rig you would know why we need this.

If the launch has a few pebbles over the mud that's considered a "good" launch and there are rarely docks:)

Looking forward to getting the hardware mounted up with new bunks and the old lights.

Huron Angler

Admiral

We got rid of the extra vehicle so I now have room to work on both boats in the driveway:D

First order of business is the little boat trailer. That left fender has been jumped on by my boys and it pulled the nut right thru the hole, so it's all wobbly and too close to the tire.

I got it tightened up with new washers and it's all set to go now, easy fix.

The rollers got painted so they won't leave marks on the boat, and then bolted back on. Some roll better than others, maybe some WD-40 will help?

059.JPG

I'm starting to think that I should paint the entire thing, it's awfully bright and blinding in the sun.

We could cook an omelette in 5-10 minutes I think.:D

062.JPG

Huron Angler

Admiral

I was racking my brain to think of how to make bunks without spending a dime...and glanced over at the one remaining carpeted side panel from my Starcraft, perfecto!

Free is pretty budget-friendly...and it's marine grade carpet, not that I would've hesitated to put some shag carpet from the 70s if it were free.;)

In addition, we have the perfect size 2x4s laying around from some shelves that are disassembled. Guess they won't be put back together since I've been pilfering it as a free lumber source for months.:D

I ripped it off the treated plywood angrily, and we'd be finished by now if we had the correct size staples for the gun.:facepalm:

Any other ideas? I do have some leftover vinyl adhesive, but I should probably save that for vinyl.

060.JPG

This homemade trailer cracks me up, it's a real gem!:rolleyes:

Can't wait to launch this thing and catch panfish all day, I miss fishing from boats. It's really not the same from shore or the canoe for some reason.

Maybe I've gotten accustomed to the sound of water lapping against tin.

061.JPG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, that trailer is truly one of a kind, a real beaut buddy!

Yup, I'd be thinking about painting that topside too. I can see Roz or one of the boys sitting on that and end up with a leg omelet, ouch.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yah, that trailer is truly one of a kind, a real beaut buddy!

Yup, I'd be thinking about painting that topside too. I can see Roz or one of the boys sitting on that and end up with a leg omelet, ouch.

It has what I can only explain as an "erector set" mystique surrounding it. And I think it's been around since before erector sets were popular back in the 50s:D

With the early 80s Honda Accord tires it should be ready for duty and hopefully last me a while. We'll see how things go:)

Once I get the bunks done I will be able to set the boat back on the trailer and easily bolt in the transom, adjust the rollers and a few other items. I've also got a bilge drain to install while I have the 5200 handy.

I have not taken many vacation days yet this year, so once the boats are done I will be able to enjoy them and relax hopefully:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Transom installation went pretty well. I used a good amount of 5200 so I hope it's all sealed up tight.

It has zero flex now, when it used to move a tiny bit. Very happy with it so far.

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

Here's the bilge drain plug assembly. I went with the plastic one since it's way lighter than the brass.

Seems to be solid and seals very well, I will trim up those screws after the 5200 sets in 24 hours.

004.JPG

005.JPG

I went ahead and dropped in the deck, and hatch frame in place. This still needs to be sanded some, and varnished.

007.JPG

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well we goofed up earlier and forgot 4 washers somehow. Looks much better now:D

008.JPG

Now the next little project. There's a crack on the top of the aluminum there right in the middle.

After seeing jasoutside's trim joint repair with jb weld I think that's what I'll use here.

Then I might rivet in a piece of aluminum angle the full width of the stern right on top.

This would add a bigger lip to catch the little OB clamps in case anything tries to fall in the drink.

009.JPG

012.JPG