01 Bass Buggy blows starter fuse with switch off

quacker2

Cadet
Recently bought an '01 Tracker Bass Buggy with an '02 40 HP Tracker motor. Been through about 5 outings so far with no problems. Now it won't start. New battery. Found what I think is the 10 amp fuse to the starter. It was blown. Replaced with the ignition switch off and it blows instantly. All the other electrical system works fine. I have it in a remote lake and getting it on the trailer to take to the shop is a complicated, expensive option. Any suggestions welcomed.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 01 Bass Buggy blows starter fuse with switch off

Start looking for shorts in the electrical - although I doubt that the 10 amp fuse would be for the starter since all it does is pull in the relay. Have you tried jumping the starter relay?

As for servicing, if you have to take it in - just remove the motor from the boat. A 40 is not very heavy and you can take it off the boat in about 15 minutes.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I ran into the same issue with mine after a year. Each time it would blow instantly. Turned out to be a short in VHF. As soon as I plugged that in the main fuse would blow. I forget the amp size but it was next to the battery in the motor power cable. Tried fixing the VHF radio and it still happened. Got rid of the radio and we are good for two years. Not saying yours is a radio but it might be something else besides the motor. I'd disconnect everything electrical except the motor and start turning things on one by one. Remove the fuses and replace one at a time with the ignition or bat sw off. when you find the it is the culprit. Easy way to start troubleshooting.

quacker2

Cadet

Start looking for shorts in the electrical - although I doubt that the 10 amp fuse would be for the starter since all it does is pull in the relay. Have you tried jumping the starter relay?

As for servicing, if you have to take it in - just remove the motor from the boat. A 40 is not very heavy and you can take it off the boat in about 15 minutes.

Haven't tried jumping the starter relay. Only thought about that after I left the lake yesterday. I don't think it's the motor. Found the fuse on top of the motor and it's okay. Are the fuses between the battery and the starter switch or between the starter switch and the destination? I wondered if the problem might be in the switch. I found it loose, but took it out and didn't look like any shorts on the wiring. Thanks for your help.

quacker2

Cadet

I ran into the same issue with mine after a year. Each time it would blow instantly. Turned out to be a short in VHF. As soon as I plugged that in the main fuse would blow. I forget the amp size but it was next to the battery in the motor power cable. Tried fixing the VHF radio and it still happened. Got rid of the radio and we are good for two years. Not saying yours is a radio but it might be something else besides the motor. I'd disconnect everything electrical except the motor and start turning things on one by one. Remove the fuses and replace one at a time with the ignition or bat sw off. when you find the it is the culprit. Easy way to start troubleshooting.

"A short in VHF?" VHF meaning the radio? I think you might be right. Since we've had it, the radio will turn on, but it doesn't work. Just lots of static. We didn't care because there's no reception there anyway. I'll try pulling it out. And when you say the main fuse would blow, I assume that's the 10 amp in the fuse cluster under the steering? I checked the main fuse on the motor and it's good. If not, is the main fuse you're referring to next to the battery an elongated red tube-like thing inline with the positive battery terminal line? Saw it, but didn't know what it was. It's a double case, so maybe the rest of it is a spare fuse. Anyway, I don't really think it's the motor either. And, if all that fails, your troubleshooting suggestion is very helpful. Thanks for your help.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't meen your issue was your radio. Just pointing out it can be something unrelated and an accessory. Maybe it is though.
As for the main fuse that is exactly the one I had issue with. Double fuse holder and one was the spare. Located right next to the battery in the positive (red) cable to the fuse panel and motor. Keep us posted.

quacker2

Cadet

Sounds like we could very well be getting close to solving the problem. I really do appreciate your help. Hope I can help you someday, but I think you're 'way ahead of me. Thanks again.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well I would suspect its in the motor control system instead of the accessory system. A 10 amp fuse under the motor cowling is to protect the factory wiring and the instruments, choke / enricher and the motor wiring harness to the controller. The motor and the accessory are to completely different systems.

quacker2

Cadet

I think I'm beginning to understand. Knowing that there are two electrical circuits is a real help. And that explains the 10 amp under the console. Thanks for your help.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This may also help, its a generic sort of a wiring print, but its how boats are wired.

GW Wiring Diagrams 1.jpg
GW Wiring Diagrams 2.jpg

quacker2

Cadet

Yes, the diagrams should help a lot. Thanks for your patience and your help.