67' 9.5 has trouble.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 67' 9.5 has trouble.

I forgot about the bypass cover. I agree it should be repaired. One time I had mine leak on a 9.9 and I was able to fix it just by snugging up the bolts. I would have had to pull the power head to replace the gasket. I'm not sure if the 9.5 would require the power head removal or not. Rick.

You don't have to actually pull the powerhead, but you do have to remove the lower cowl, which on the 9.5 is just as much of an ordeal.

[I think that the picture belongs to iwombat.]

Attachments

• 9.5 Powerhead.jpg
    9.5 Powerhead.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm assuming that the bypass plate is the blue plate in that picture.

And are you referring to the needle valve above the float? If that's the case, the needle and seat are both new.

Oh, forgot to mention, how do you put in the clip on that bottom of the needle valve?

My old needle valve didn't have that clip, and so I don't know how it's supposed to attach.

And, I feel stupid for not mentioning this before, but I just remembered that the needle valve tends to stick instead of falling free of it's own weight.

That's probably the issue right there.

Rick.

Captain

I was referring to the slow speed needle. The one in the carb. has a slot in the end that slips onto the very light wire clip that in turn connects to the float. I wish I had a picture for you. Rick.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I'm assuming that the bypass plate is the blue plate in that picture."

The blue is actually the intake manifold. There are no real bypass plates on a 9.5. There is a single "plate and check valve".

Oh, forgot to mention, how do you put in the clip on that bottom of the needle valve?"

Click the thumbnail, please.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was also referring to the slow speed needle rick.

And with that pic, I should be able to fix the sticky valve problem.

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I pool carb cleaner around the butterfly valve, it leaks to outside the carb.

Is it supposed to be sealed around the shaft for the butterfly valve? If it is, it's not sealed anymore.

thx997303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, so after cleaning the carb over and over, the primer bulb is as hard as can be, does not get soft.

The engine no longer runs better when I half choke it.

It still runs poorly.

I will get a hold of a tach and see what we're looking at as far as it's actual running rpm.

Still need some help.