My first boat and she needs a little work to get where I want

MikeJN53

Cadet
My first boat and she needs a little work!

Hey fellas, this is my first post on this site and also my first boat. It?s a 1972 14 ft fiberglass tri-hull (more or less). I?m trying to dig up the make and model at the moment. The old thing came with a 35 hp 1984 Evinrude and a little trailer. Attached are pics of everything.

I?ll start off with the boat. The transom was recently completely reinforced with fiberglass and holds the motor safely, but I?ll probably end up doing a little more just to be safe. There are little holes all along the top of the gunwale that I?ll just end up filling with Bondo after I let the boat air out in a dry space to make sure they is no moisture to rot it from the inside out. I?m not too worried about that though. Once I make sure everything floats I?m gonna sand everything down and have my girlfriend help me repaint it. Shortly after that I?ll rip out the seats and build myself a small center console to go closer to the rear of the boat. Then I will enclose the front with a very light, most likely PVC, material probably from the tip to the middle of the first and second seat, as shown in the pics. I will also enclose the back with the same material from the rear seat back to make a storage space for the battery, gas tank, etc. This will also make a great bench seat for me to sit on while driving. Everything will be looked over and designed by a Naval Architect, as I am a budding one myself and have family in that area of expertise.

The other order of business is the motor. This has been sitting up in the weather for about 5 years now and needs a good bit of cleaning and I believe there are a few parts that are seized up on it. But because of good knowledge and experience from my cousin it will get done fairly quickly as long as I have the funds.

Like I said before this is my first post and I'm new to all this so if I screw up or anything just let me know. I'll take absolutely any suggestions I can get and am open to any ideas. Thanks a bunch guys, hope to learn alot from everyone for as long as this site is around and people are still posting!

MikeJN53

Cadet
Re: My first boat and she needs a little work to get where I want

I forgot to mention the addition of a thin floor and some more flotation!

HotRod9mm

Cadet

Mike
WELOCME to the boat disease!

You came to the right place for information, a LOT of VERY knowledgeable folks hang out here.

:cool:

MikeJN53

Cadet

Well, just the other day I took the carb and and starter off, you have to take the starter off to get to the carb, and the inside of that thing was clean as a whistle! :) I was so surprised it was great! Anyways...the only problem that I think is going to be wrong is the gear box. :( Hopefully that's not true but my cousin and I will take that off soon enough or I will by myself if I get anxious. :p When I do pull that off I'll definitely post some pics of what the inside looks like.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You will compromise your boats structural integrity by removing the bench seats, this will drastically weaken your boat and will cause problems in the future. I suggest you leave the seats in and make your modification over/around them.

A center console in a boat that short and narrow will take up too much valuable space and be "in the way" every time you turn around.

Any modifications you do to your boat should be done in fiberglass. Fasteners for other materials won't hold secure in the existing fiberglass of your boat.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you really need a bigger boat to do the things you want to do.

bharness

Cadet

Mike
Welcome aboard. This is a fantastic site. Everyone here is so helpful.

There is so much knowledge and experience on this site, it is like having a library at your fingertips.

I will be watching your resto. Keep posting lots of pictures.

Sounds like your interest and background will serve you well.

Those old evinrudes were quite the motors. Old school, but great.

bh

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Anyways...the only problem that I think is going to be wrong is the gear box. :( Hopefully that's not true but my cousin and I will take that off soon enough or I will by myself if I get anxious. :p When I do pull that off I'll definitely post some pics of what the inside looks like.

Why do you think something is wrong with the gears in the lower unit?

MikeJN53

Cadet

Thank all y'all for the very warm welcomes. :)

You will compromise your boats structural integrity by removing the bench seats, this will drastically weaken your boat and will cause problems in the future. I suggest you leave the seats in and make your modification over/around them.

A center console in a boat that short and narrow will take up too much valuable space and be "in the way" every time you turn around.

Is there any way for me to keep or add structural integrity of the boat and still lose the seats? Also, the center console wouldn't be so "centered" between the bow and stern, it would be closer to the stern.

Why do you think something is wrong with the gears in the lower unit?

I mentioned in the first post that some parts on the motor are seized up, well the main one is the shifter on the side of the motor. Luckily it's stuck in neutral. :p

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

First off, welcome to the Iboats drydock...you will get almost everything you need as far as information on this site...the guys here have been there and done most of it and have proven that it works... Now for a reality check...:redface:

Any modifications you do to your boat should be done in fiberglass. Fasteners for other materials won't hold secure in the existing fiberglass of your boat.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you really need a bigger boat to do the things you want to do.

I have to agree with jigngrub, that is quite the ambitious plan for such a small craft...I am sure that anything is possible and love to see the status quo destroyed, but it looks to me that this is basically a nice tiller fishing boat that can be reconditioned to like new shape in fairly short order and used for hundreds of enjoyable outings without getting involved in a major restructuring.
While you could add a "center console" and add enough structure to the boat to reinforce it, and add remote steering and controls to the engine, and spend bookuu bucks doing all of this, only to find out that it doesn't sit right in the water, or plane out properly, or even end up being what you thought it could be, it would be wiser and cheaper to build it the way it was originally intended and enjoy the heck out of it...
Then at some future time, you could get a bigger or better set up boat to restore, and use this one in the mean time, until you get the other one done.
Then you can either keep this one or sell it knowing that it is a good, properly rebuilt boat.

Anyhow, that's my nickle-95's worth. In the end, it is yours to do with as you please and whatever you decide, I will be tagging along to cheer you on and help in whatever limited way I can.

Best of Luck and may you and yours have a Wonderful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
GT1M

MikeJN53

Cadet

Thanks for your input GT1M. I really appreciate it. I definitely see and understand what you are saying and completely agree with what you're saying. All my first orders of business were to get the boat running and lookin pretty before I did alot of that major stuff. I know I didn't really make that very clear to begin with, though. All the other stuff was going to come later with the assumption that I wanted to continue messing with it and with a clear design from a naval architect. There's no tellin what'll end up happening to this boat though because it was given to me, and to be honest it's really just something for me to have a little fun with. I'm not too worried about wasted time or anything because I know I'll love what I'm doin.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Thank all y'all for the very warm welcomes. :)

I mentioned in the first post that some parts on the motor are seized up, well the main one is the shifter on the side of the motor. Luckily it's stuck in neutral. :p

You're very welcome!

In regards to your lower unit, you should first pull the lower drain plug and check the gear case oil... If its clear brownish, or even black (but not milky), does not have rust or metal bits in it, then the chances of the gears being ok is pretty good. If you pull the oil, and its all milky, and/or has a lot of metal shavings in it, then thats an indication of a serious problem.

Often times what happens on these motors is, (especially the OMC's), is the shift rod goes through a housing, and is sealed with o-rings... over time and from being exposed to the saltwater, the housing corrrodes, and swells the o-rings to the point that they seize the shift rod shaft where it wont move, or at the least make it extremely difficult to shift. (I have fixed probably 15+ like this).

This type of repair procedure is not overly difficult, and the parts aren't even that expensive.

If you like, you can PM me, and I will be happy to help walk you through it! Or, you can also make a post on the evinrude forums, and give me the link and I can assist you there, plus you would get some extra input. Just be sure to take some pictures!

Again, welcome aboard!

MikeJN53

Cadet

Thanks for the advice Numlaar! My cousin and I will be taking the foot off tonight most likely, so y'all will definitely have an update later on tonight. When I say I'm ready to get this thing movin' along, that's definitely an understatement!

kfa4303

Banned

sounds like you got a bad case of boat fever :) welcome to the club! take your time, ask questions, holler if you get stuck. cheers!

MikeJN53

Cadet

Thanks kfa! Is there somebody that could tell me what wires to put where on the solenoid switch please?? I completely let it slip my mind!:redface: Maybe Numlaar?? :)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Replied to your PM. :)

Don't know how to post pics to a PM, but here are 2 that may help you:

Lower unit removed:

13lowerunitafter.jpg

You can see from that picture where all of the bolts are, dont forget the one under the steering tab

Unit out:

15shifthousingtwo.jpg

Shift rod housing:

14ShiftHousing1.jpg

When I get a chance, I will try to take a picture of the solenoid for you! Good luck!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Maybe this helps...

Attachments

• Typical 12V Solenoid.jpg
    Typical 12V Solenoid.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

MikeJN53

Cadet

Awesome! Thanks guys!! I'm sorry it's takin so long for me to update with pictures but there's a bolt that won't slide off and I'm trying to get through it around or any way possible because it's safe from any other parts and a cheap one to replace so we shall see tonight!

MikeJN53

Cadet

Ok whhere am i looking for this linkage bolt numlaar??:redface:

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

It should attach to the end of that lever... your pic is in the right spot! Just hard to see it exactly to tell you where...

MikeJN53

Cadet

Ok I'm gonna look for it tonight. thanks